This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Configuring DNS to connect to OpenDNS on Kid's Linux Box

On my kid's Kubuntu box I want to use OpenDNS to take advantage of the web filtering.

How can I change the DNS addresses? Under the wired tab of Network Connections there is nothing about auto etho that it's using, and I can't change anything.

Should I set up a new connection? If not how do you "edit" the auto eth0?

I don't want to set up the router for OpenDNS, for that will affect the entire house network.

Thanks!

Re: Configuring DNS to connect to OpenDNS on Kid's Linux Box

The DNS settings are automatically obtained from the router if using DHCP. If you want to to use different DNS settings, the best way would be to use a static IP. In your network connections change it from automatically obtaining an IP address to manual. Then assign an IP address to the computer that is outside the DHCP range but available. You can get this information by opening the router interface. Then you will be able to specify the DNS settings for OpenDNS. I don't use Knetwork manager so I can't remember the exact places to make these entries but I'm sure it is obvious once you select manual IP. For example my router information shows that DHCP addresses start at 192.168.1.100 and I have a maximum of 50. So that means DHCP addresses will use 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.49. Avoid using the lowest and highest addresses as these may be used by the router itself for other functions. In my case, I start my static IP addresses at 192.168.1.10 and go up from there. You could also use 192.168.1.50 and above.

Why do you not want everyone to use OpenDNS?

Comment

Another easy way to filter a single computer is to use a filtered /etc/hosts file. I have 1200+ lines in mine to block ads and other undesirable content.

Do some web searching on it if you're interested. There's lots of free resources out there.

Please Read Me

Comment

Detonate - Thanks for the info, I forgot to give the computer a static IP! That was the problem..

I only want the kids computer to use OpenDNS because I have OpenDNS to block everything not appropriate for a kid. But I don't want to restrict the rest of the computers in the house. The kids don't use those computers, just adults.

And greetings to a fellow Colorado linux user! Living in Oklahoma now, but grew up in Denver.

oshunluvr - A filtered hosts file is an interesting idea, I'll check it out.

Comment

Now make sure the kid does not have sudo privileges or he will quickly figure out how to change it back.

Comment

With the hosts file you can even get creative and have different host files for different users. I block all ad sites so banner ads and the like never display. Hulu gives me a message regarding "connection problems" rather than commercials!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK
              Detonate - Thanks for the info, I forgot to give the computer a static IP! That was the problem..
              As a sidenote, you don't necessarily need static IP for static nameservers (you can use DHCP with static nameservers), you just have to configure dhclient to use static nameservers.

Comment

Yes, it can be done that way also. It requires editing the dhclient file and the resolv.conf file. I figured using a static IP was simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                  I figured using a static IP was simpler.
                  No problem there, I just wanted to add a side note for cases where static IP is not an option (like on laptops that connect to different networks, some of which could be beyond user's control...like free wifi)

Comment

Well I have to admit I cheated, and zapped the computer and loaded Ubuntu on it. No problem setting up the static IP address, and adding the OpenDNS name servers. Now the kids are off and running on their own Linux, kid friendly Internet box.

In the future I'll use a separate box to test out the above suggestions. Thanks for the info all!

Comment

Another way is to rename your /etc/hosts file to /etc/hosts_old and copy the host file from here to /etc/hosts with NO extension but the same permissions (rw-r--r-- or 644). Since the file can also be used on Windows systems (DOS is a subset of Unix) you will notice comments in the file for Windows users.

Then peruse the comments in the file to learn more about allowing some sites and disallowing others by adding to the file.

OpenDNS limits black or white lists to 25/50/500 sites, depending on which service you use. In the hosts file you can download and install from that URL there are over 7,000 sites blocked or modified. ... and it's free. If you kid is given his own account and is not the first account (admin acct) created during the install he won't have root access and he can't change /etc/hosts.. only read it. IF you have given him access to the first account create an account for him with his name and his own password and make it the default account on login. Then change the password to the first account so he can't log in as the admin. That way, only you can change the /etc/hosts file.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks, I've just downloaded that and I'm going to put it on the various computers in my house. I used to mess around with hosts files back in the late 90's, but forgot about them over time.

Comment

Working...
                        X