This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Mounting a Network Drive

Can anyone tell me how I would mount a network drive?

Allow me to be more verbose.

I have two computers on an internal network, computer 1 is named fenster and computer 2 is named keaton (all my computers are named after The Usual Suspects).

I have a folder on keaton that I'd like to mount on fenster.

I've created a directory /media/storage that I'd like to be the mount point but don't know what to do from here.

I've set up ssh keys for the computers to be friendly - although I'm not sure if this is relevant.

Can anyone explain how to do this or point me to a how-to that will help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Mounting a Network Drive

Key information not provided, is 1) what operating systems are installed on both PCs, and assuming both are Kubuntu, 2) what version on each?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Basically, if both computers are running linux (any distro) NFS is the best option. If one of the "usual suspects" is windows, samba is required. ssh is a totally different protocol and yes - not related to file sharing.

NFS: Unfortunately, there's no easy GUI for NFS, but it's not too hard. Install nfs-common on both computers. To share files both ways, each must be both "server" and "client". In your case, keaton will act as "server" and fenster will be "client." You will need to export the directory you want to share on keaton and then fenster can mount it.

I am in-between installs at the moment - but I will post the exact steps tonight or tomorrow.

Please Read Me

Comment

Best NFS guide I have found is here.

http://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/network/nfshowto/

Comment

That's a pretty good basic guide - a bit silly with all the "Sally" and "Dave" stuff

Basically:

Server:
          Install nfs-common and portmap.
          Set /etc/hosts.deny to block all and set /etc/hosts.allow to allow only computers on your private network into nfs.
          Add shared directory to /etc/exports.
          Verify /etc/defaults/portmap has the loopback line remarked out.
          Restart nfs

Client:
          Mount shared directory

Do some reading on the available options both for exports and mounting nfs shares. Controlling user access successfully can be problematic if not studied carefully. How you set it up will depend on who has access to your network and the nfs share.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks much, guys. It's working like a charm!

It was a bit more involved that I thought it would be.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Mounting a Network Drive

Side note:

If you have that drive mounted at boot through fstab, you will have a slow down when booting while your system tries to find the drive if the other computer is not already up and running. My workaround is to keep the fstab entry commented out. When you need to access the other drive, and the other computer is running, simply remove the comment and run sudo mount -a.

Comment

Working...
              X