Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Kubuntu: No IP address unless logged in?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kubuntu: No IP address unless logged in?

Just to let ya know, I am a forum n00b...

OK, just installed Kubuntu 10.10 this week. All works OK. Gave myself a static IP address cause I don't use DHCP at home. I can ping from and to the Kubuntu box. Also got ssh working in both directions, and also installed nxserver on Kubuntu and can use nxclient on another box to remote into Kubuntu. So doing' just fine thank you.

But then I find that Kubuntu does not respond to ping if I am not logged in. Is this expected? I would have expected Kubuntu to have its IP address once booted and waiting at the login screen. I waited many minutes with login screen and still not response if I ping from another machine.

I would have expected that once booted, Kubuntu would have its IP address. What does it not?

Could it be that I used the Manage Connections utility.. that has the name KDE Control Module... to configure the address... and it is that since KDE may not be running unless logged in that that is my problem?? Of course I have the Connect Automatically checkbox checked. Should I have used some other utility? It was what was stated in the install documentation.

What to do?

Thanks for your response.

Re: Kubuntu: No IP address unless logged in?

Install wicd and uninstall knetworkmanager if you want a working network without KDE running. If you have a static IP setup then you probably could just set it all up in /etc/interfaces and it would just work without any other software.

Comment

You only need wicd if you're using wireless. There's no need at all for knetworkmanager.

Use the command kdesudo kate /etc/network/interfaces in a terminal and you'll likely see
      Code:
      auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback
      add this below it

Code:
      # The primary network interface
      auto eth0
      iface eth0 inet static
      address 192.168.1.100
      gateway 192.168.1.1
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      substituting your own addresses of course, and restart the network. From then on you should have an ethernet connection at boot without logging on first.

Please Read Me

Comment

You can just add the line "auto eth0" to keep it DHCP.
        Personally I am not a fan of static addresses, they just make things harder to manage.

Or you can set the interface by using "sudo dhclient eth0" from the terminal. this will add the entry, set the interface to DHCP, and renew the connection information.

Once it is reset and the entry is present in the interfaces file the connection will be established at boot.
        You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

Working...
        X