This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

networking question

I have 4 computers (keta, kisutch, nerka, gorbuscha), all running Kubuntu. Each computer is connected to my router (Linksys WRT54G), which in turn is connected to a cable modem. Regardless of which computer I connect from, the IP address is always the same - the one assigned to me by my ISP. Is there a way where I can make it appear to the outside world as though each of my computers is a separate IP address?

Re: networking question

Unless you are running a POP (Point-of-Presence), the IP address that the 'outside World' sees, is what is assigned by your ISP when you connect to your account. And, unless you are paying for a static IP account, that IP address will be different each time you connect.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I was afraid the answer would be a no.

Comment

That does not mean that you could not selectively access each computer remotely. I have no experience with this but I know it can be done.

Comment

My intent is to connect to a program that only allows 8 connections at a time from the same IP. If I could fool this remote program into thinking my 4 computers were 4 different IPs, then I could have 32 connections.

Comment

Short of four modem connections, what you're referring to is called IP Spoofing and most intelligent hosts can detect it these days because it's generally used in a form of attack.

Likely even if you got it working, you'd end up dropped or blacklisted.

Please Read Me

Comment

ISPs require that you login, which is how they verify that they should give you a connection, with an IP address they assign. Most ISPs limit the number of concurrent logins a subscriber can make, so what you are describing is very likely not possible.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Does the application that you want to run use a specific TCP port? Can you change the port? I don't know about the capabilities of your router, but you could setup a virtual server for each box using different TCP ports.

This is just an example using 1.2.3.4 as your public IP address and some arbitrary port numbers.

keta - 1.2.3.4, Port 91
                kisutch - 1.2.3.4, Port 92
                nerka - 1.2.3.4, Port 93
                gorbuscha - 1.2.3.4, Port 94

This way, you could keep one ip address with multiple TCP ports.

Your ISP may limit the amount of TCP connections as well. So this may not work. But just a quick idea.

Comment

Working...
                X