This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring Kubuntu to it's former glory

Had kubuntu for a while now, love it but I've managed to 'break', for lack of a better word, my internet. I've tried to figure it out but to no avail, so I've acknowledged my mistakes and am going to try again. Now to get to the point I'd like to know if there is any way to have kubuntu restore itself to it's basic settings or if I must suck it up and download an image to boot for my computor.

Re: Restoring Kubuntu to it's former glory

If networking is your only issue, please tells what the problem is - we may be able to save you the trouble of reinstalling and reconfiguring all over again.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I did try a while ago but I suppose it's worth a shot though, can't hurt to try right?

I tried to use wicd since I couldn't get knetwork manager to connect to certain networks, after looking around all fingers pointed to wicd as being the most user friendly. So I installed it and it worked fine. When I rebooted however it wouldn't connect to my networks through wicd or knet, googling told me that sometimes removing all knetwork components would fix it. Well it didn't and now I'm stuck with wicd still not working and I can't reinstall knetwork manager because some of it needs downloaded and my computor isn't connected to the internet. Suggestions are welcome but please try to keep it in simple terms I'm still relatively new to linux.

More specifically on how it doesn't connectl; When I click on the connect button on my chosen network wicd attempts for a while and then says 'Connection Failed: Unable to Get IP Address'

Comment

Let's check and see if you have the wicd packages required. Open KPackageKit, or better, if you have it installed, Synaptic, and search on wicd. You should have the following packages installed:

python-wicd
        wicd-gtk
        wicd-curses
        wicd-daemon
        wicd (a meta-package only)

Assuming these are installed, then check that all components of network-manager-kde have been removed. Open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get remove network-manager-kde
        As to the wicd packages above, what do you show?

Comment

wicd curses is not installed and I can't as it requires 289kb to be downloaded, no internet no download.

The remove knet command told me that the resource was temporarily unavailable, could not get a lock on /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Comment

Check that following packages are installed as well:

python
            python-urwid

If they are (likely), then we only need to get you the wicd-curses package. It's only 70k in size, so I could email it to you.

Comment

python is python-urwid however is not

Comment

Okay. I've downloaded that as well.

Check and see if these packages are installed:

python-support
                libc6

Comment

YAY packages I have!!!

Comment

Okay, so as to make this simple, I've uploaded the two packages to the Downloads > Other section here in KFN for you. Get them downloaded - to a folder in your /home folder for now.

Comment

Hmm Im gonna need a flash drive... Ill be back soon please check it feels like I'm getting somewhere

Comment

Mk not gonna be able to be get a flash drive tonight, I'll be back on tomorrow hopefully with better luck on finding a flash drive. So hopefully we can resolve it then, thank you for the help so far.

Comment

You're welcome. Once you have the files, wait until further guidance is provided. I'll be back on tomorrow night - I live in Alaska, so take the time difference in to account.

Comment

Time difference accounted for, I live in alaska :P but I now have the files and am awaiting further guidance

Comment

I assume that you saved the two .deb packages somewhere in your /home directory? Open a console and cd into that directory. Then type:
                              Code:
                              sudo dpkg --install python-urwid_0.9.9.1-1_i386.deb
                              sudo dpkg --install wicd-curses_1.7.0+ds1-2_all.deb

Comment

Working...
                              X