This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing from left/right speaker [solved]

I was wondering if it's possible to change the audio so that it only comes from the left or right speaker? I'm watching something that is playing two languages at the same time, but each from a different side so I want to mute the other side

i'm running kubuntu 10.4

Re: changing from left/right speaker

Unless KMix or alsamixer show that you have separate speaker channels that you can control, then I don't think you can.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It is obviously stereo so there is some kind of control over each channel. Otherwise the channels wouldn't sound different. lol. I looked in alsamixer and there didn't seem to be any way on my machine. Hit "H" to get a list of controls. "<" and ">" should mute left and right channel but it doesn't work on mine.

You should be able to change the settings in the /var/lib/alsa/asound.state file. Also if you look at Kmix you might see a balance slider at the bottom. It is not labelled in my version, but if you have that, it will work for what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
        Hit "H" to get a list of controls. "<" and ">" should mute left and right channel but it doesn't work on mine.
        Same here. It just mutes the speakers (both), not selectively. It would be nice if balance control were available.

Comment

Hey, didn't kmix have a smallish left-right slider at the bottom of each stereo channel circa KDE3?

Please Read Me

Comment

OK - got it - right click on kmix mixer window over each channel and tic "split channel"

Please Read Me

Comment

Son of a b*!!

In Windoze, we used to call these 'hidden gems' "Easter Eggs." I just followed your hint, and sure enough, there it is. Thank you.

Comment

this worked!! thanks a lot!

Comment

Re: changing from left/right speaker [solved]

I think this is one of those things where we're too smart for our own good! It's so easy to overlook the obvious!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X