This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRUB didn't recognize my other OS

I want to dual boot my laptop, and my original OS is win7 ultimate 64 bit.
    I downloaded the "Kubuntu 10.04 LTS 64bit torrent" and burned the iso to a dvd.
    I defragged my main partition, then shrunk it by 11 gb to accomodate kubuntu.
    My partitions after that were as follows, from left to right:
    40 MB OEM partition, 15.7 GB recovery partition, 450GB boot, primary, data OS partition, 11GB unallocated free space.
    I rebooted, and booted into the kubuntu dvd. I went through the install, and told it to install kubuntu on the largest contiguous free space. It installed, and i went into Dolphin and saw that i was using 4gb out of 11, so i know that kubuntu installed in the right spot. However, whenever i rebooted, i instantly was booted into kubuntu, i saw no grub menu.
    i searched alot about how to fix grub, but none of the methods worked.
    So i reinstalled windows, deleted the kubuntu partition, restored windows, and tried again.

This time i didn't use windows to change my partitions. I booted to the dvd, and told the installer to "Install them side by side, choosing between them at each startup". I dragged the bar to give kubuntu 25 gb, and let it install.
    It still didnt recognize my other OS, and i still see no GRUB menu when booting, it goes straight into Kubuntu.

These are my computers specs:

Intel® Core™ i7 920XM 2.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache)
    8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
    17-inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 RGB LED (1200p)
    Dual 1GB ATI Radeon™ Mobility HD 4870 in CrossfireX™
    500GB 7,200RPM SATA-II HDD
    Intel® Ultimate N WiFi Link 6300 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO Technology
    Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Burner (BR-R, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
    Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit, English

Hope someone can help!

Re: GRUB didn't recognize my other OS

IT seems all is OK, except grub-pc didn't detect your Win7 partition. The default behavior of grub-pc is if it only detects one installation, it does not offer a boot menu unless you've had a crash.

Start by opening a terminal and typing:

sudo update-grub

You should see some feedback - if you don't see "Windows found" or something like that you've found your problem.

I don't use windows so I don't know what the proper stanza is for Windows7. I'm sure some internet searching will reveal an answer to that question.

Meanwhile:

To make your grub menu appear at boot, edit /etc/default/grub. The first four lines are something like:

GRUB_DEFAULT=1
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

Change yours to look the same and you should get a menu next boot. Remember to run update-grub after these edits.

You can try chainloading - which is to boot to the win partition directly. Again, I don't know if windows can do that or not. Manual grub-pc menu entries go into a file called /etc/grub.d/40_custom. The chainload entry looks like

menuentry "Chainload sdd5" {
    insmod chain
    set root=(hd3,5)
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 8a945849-2c48-43cd-b0b8-6b9120a83646
    chainloader +1
    }

the set root and uuid's must be changed to match yours.

Here's some reading on what your trying to do.
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/d...-7-ubuntu.html

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X