This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Ubuntu, Problems with America's Army

I downloaded the last Linux version of the America's Army game off their website.

I ran these commands in the terminal:

cd Desktop
    chmod +x armyops250linux.run
    sudo ./armyops250linux.run

It went through the install and said that it was complete so I tried to run the game, but it wouldn't start up. It would bring up the little bouncing AA logo next to the cursor and would bring AA up in the task bar, but then it would stop and do nothing else. I rebooted and tried it again and there was no change so I tried to run it from a terminal and got the following:

./armyops-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Has anybody had this problem and could possibly help me?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

David

Re: New to Ubuntu, Problems with America's Army

What version of Kubuntu are you using?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry I knew I was forgetting something.. I'm running Lucid.

Comment

You should also visit America's Army: Special Forces Forum.

Comment

Ok kewl, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tidus-Sloan
            Sorry I knew I was forgetting something.. I'm running Lucid.
            ./armyops-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
            In Lucid, this library file is at version 6 (/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6). It's possible, especially given that their Forum reports that development for this game on Linux is not a high priority, that the version of the game you downloaded is specifically looking for the 'older' version of the library.

Comment

How would I go about determining if that is the problem and then correcting it?

Comment

I don't know. IF the program wants/expects the older library, but Lucid has the newer, it might not be possible to remedy the issue. Others here in KFN have more knowledge on whether you can downgrade the library without impacting every/anything else in Lucid, but I'm inclined to think that doing so would not be a good move.

Watch this thread. Others will, I'm sure, give there opinions/suggestions.

Comment

Ok thank you.

Comment

Try installing virtualbox and making a VM of the version that will run AA.

Please Read Me

Comment

you can download a .deb from here.

http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/libstdc++5

right click the file, open with gdebi installer. this shouldn't mess anything up. If it does, you can remove it with your package manager.

FKA: tanderson

Comment

I used to run America's Army about the time they released the last Linux version. When the Windows version moved to another server and continued to be improved I quit using the game. Later, the programmer responsible for the Linux version quit. Shortly after that, IIRC, the server hosting the Linux version was shut down. I don't know if anyone else has taken up the task of running the Linux server or not. But, if the URLs your client is linking to aren't up then you won't get a connection.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                        X