Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kubuntu 10.04 wont load error 15 file not found.(Plz help...)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 10.04 wont load error 15 file not found.(Plz help...)

Hi guys well i had kubuntu 9.10 in my external drive...and everything went fine had grub installed in the internal drive so when i unplug the external one i dont get any weird messege about can load windows 7 or any #&%$ like that...

So the thing is that i upgraded to the new kubuntu and that messed up my grub...now i dont know what to do cause i have knowledge of grub and i checked everything and i dont know what went wrong...might be the uuid thats wrong? how can i see the uuid cause i know there was a command but i totally forgot...

Idk the error that i get when trying to boot is:

[quote]Booting from hdb ext3 bla bla....error 15 file not found./quote]

So any ideas thanks.

Re: kubuntu 10.04 wont load error 15 file not found.

blkid lists all your uuid's

does this happen with or without the external drive connected?

Please Read Me

Comment

well it only happens if the external drive is connected cause if not obviously it says that cant find the ext3.
      Il try the blkid

thanks

Comment

Ok did the blkid command and nothing is wrong with the UUID, and when i take off the external drvie says directly error 15 file not found....and when is connected says booting from ext2 hd1,2 uuid blabla......error 15 file not found. idk...plz help me anyone!!!!! im desperate...

Here is the menu.lst

# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
        # grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
        # grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
        # and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.

## default num
        # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
        # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
        #
        # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
        # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
        # WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
        # array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
        default 0

## timeout sec
        # Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
        # (normally the first entry defined).
        timeout 10

## hiddenmenu
        # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
        #hiddenmenu

# Pretty colours
        #color cyan/blue white/blue

## password ['--md5'] passwd
        # If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
        # control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the
        # command 'lock'
        # e.g. password topsecret
        # password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/
        # password topsecret

#
        # examples
        #
        # title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
        # root (hd0,0)
        # makeactive
        # chainloader +1
        #
        # title Linux
        # root (hd0,1)
        # kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
        #

#
        # Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
        ## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
        ## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
        ## default kernel options
        ## default kernel options for automagic boot options
        ## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
        ## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
        ## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
        ## kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
        ## kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
        # kopt=root=UUID=2ca40160-94ab-4f48-a157-ae86c9b2e6df ro

## default grub root device
        ## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
        # groot=2ca40160-94ab-4f48-a157-ae86c9b2e6df

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
        ## e.g. alternative=true
        ## alternative=false
        # alternative=true

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
        ## e.g. lockalternative=true
        ## lockalternative=false
        # lockalternative=false

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
        ## alternatives
        ## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
        # defoptions=quiet splash

## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
        ## e.g. lockold=false
        ## lockold=true
        # lockold=false

## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
        # xenhopt=

## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
        # xenkopt=console=tty0

## altoption boot targets option
        ## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
        ## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
        ## altoptions=(recovery) single
        # altoptions=(recovery mode) single

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
        ## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
        ## alternative kernel options
        ## e.g. howmany=all
        ## howmany=7
        # howmany=all

## specify if running in Xen domU or have grub detect automatically
        ## update-grub will ignore non-xen kernels when running in domU and vice versa
        ## e.g. indomU=detect
        ## indomU=true
        ## indomU=false
        # indomU=detect

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
        ## e.g. memtest86=true
        ## memtest86=false
        # memtest86=true

## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
        ## can be true or false
        # updatedefaultentry=false

## should update-grub add savedefault to the default options
        ## can be true or false
        # savedefault=false

## ## End Default Options ##

title Kubuntu 10.04 LTS kernel 2.6.32-21-generic
        uuid c0c55eee-6412-4510-b1d5-1d75e8e3c258
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=UUID=c0c55eee-6412-4510-b1d5-1d75e8e3c258 ro quiet splash
        initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic
        quiet

title Windows 7
        rootnoverify (hd0,1)
        savedefault
        makeactive
        chainloader +1

Comment

Originally posted by kiraitachi
          So the thing is that i upgraded to the new kubuntu and that messed up my grub...now i dont know what to do cause i have knowledge of grub and i checked everything and i dont know what went wrong...
          Sounds, maybe, like you didn't fully upgrade to Grub 2, and you now have a 'mixed' Grub Legacy/Grub 2 system. See File Not Found (Error 15) from the Ubuntu Community Documentation Grub2 guide if this is the case.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So yeah that might be it cause i looked for any kernel errors or files missing and didnt find any loss besides i also looked for any grub missconfig or uuid mistake but nothing so that might be it.

Is there anyway i can make another grub based install with the live cd?? just to install the grub again or something? cause i have the grub in the internal drive while kubuntu is in the external so when i upgraded the grub it upgraded the kubuntu external grub not the external....so that might be the mistake...any way to upgrade?

Comment

You should be able to boot to lucid livecd and run install-grub /dev/sda but I haven't tried it that way.

You can also download the Grub Live disk for grub-pc and do it that way.

Please Read Me

Comment

I heard about the second way but more interested in the first one , let me get the idea i would love to know how to do it cause i would finally could boot up my kubuntu, ok i got my live cd of kubuntu 10.04 already burned and boot up but once im there i can only see the installer nothing about the ''only grub installer'' plz help me!!!!

Or should i boot up in the based text mode?? no right.?

Thanks for ur help!.

Comment

Just boot to the live cd, open a terminal and type sudo grub-install /dev/sda and see what happens!

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok dude ...so this is my problem i write sudo grub-install /dev/sda1 cause thats were my internal partition table of fat32 for grub is and where i want to install it... but when i try to do so thi error jumps in...

/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).
                    No path for device is specified.
                    Try /usr/sbin/grub-pobe --help for more info.
                    Auto-detection of a filesystem module failed.
                    Please specify the module with option --module explicity.

I thought that maybe its cause is my internal drive or something idk so i thought on installing the grub to the external drive where the kubuntu partition is....and the same error jumps...any help??

Thanks, cheers kiraitachi

Comment

Well, like I said I haven't tried it. I assumed you wanted to boot to grub-pc. I don't think your bios can boot to a formatted partition instead of the master boot record.

I'm the first to admit I don't know much about this but here's how I believe it works:

At the beginning of a hard drive is a small area reserved for the master boot record.
                      The size is only 512 bytes and that includes your partition table.
                      The first 440 bytes holds the boot code and really all it does is point the boot to the bootable partition.
                      Your system bios loads the code from the MBR and grub-pc, grub, lilo, windows bootstrap, and others all just point the system in the right direction.

Without a master boot code, the hard drive is unbootable.

With grub-pc, grub, and lilo you can boot to a partition via a function called chainloading which allows a partition to contain it's own boot code.

Point is: You can certainly install grub-pc to /dev/sda1, but you won't be able to boot to it unless you also have a boot loader in the master boot record. Which is fine if that's what you're trying to do. If you're trying to boot windows on /dev/sda1, you don't want or need grub-pc installed there, just windows.

So whatever you're trying to do I've never heard of, but good luck!

Please Read Me

Comment

Lol...well what im trying to do is boot windows 7 and kubuntu, windows 7 is in my internal hd and kubuntu in the external, i have grub in the internal hd in another partition so if that i unplug the external hd i can still boot windows 7, it worked all perfect before in kubuntu 9.04 i had it set it up like that...but since the new grub2 updated in kubuntu 10.4 i cant boot kubuntu...thats my problem.

Comment

Ok guys right now im trying what snowhog told me but....since im still outta luck or might be im doing something wrong i would like to know if anyone can give me a hand with this..

Thanks.

Comment

Re: kubuntu 10.04 wont load error 15 file not found.(Plz help...)

Hey plz guys give me a hand im doomed or what?!!1 XD

Comment

Re: kubuntu 10.04 wont load error 15 file not found.(Plz help...)

Here's the theory, the pieces that you need (I know you can work out the details ):
                              You need to build that separate dedicated GRUB 2 partition (on the internal HDD) using the GRUB 2 files from the external HDD. (Hopefully, you can do this from a live 10.4 CD, from which we hope the live session can "see" the GRUB 2 files in your Kubuntu on the external HDD. See my how to.) Then try to re-install GRUB2 (perhaps from a live CD) using the GRUB 2 files in your separate GRUB2 partition (on the internal HDD) and make it point to the MBR of the internal HDD (again, see my how on re-installing GRUB 2 from a live CD). Since this is GRUB 2, hard to predict how it will work. The boot stanza in GRUB 2 for your Kubuntu will have to be a custom boot entry (in the "40_" files) (again, see the how to). The GRUB 2 on the internal HDD must be able to see and boot your Kubuntu external HDD partition, as did GRUB Legacy. Your other choice is to scrap GRUB 2, install GRUB Legacy, and replicate what you did to set this up using GRUB legacy. (I haven't been around here very much -- still using 8.04.3 and GRUB Legacy, except for some shaky experimental installations of GRUB 2 on my various PCs/partitions here and there...GRUB 2 has worked flawlessly for me in the simplest setups--one HDD, simple dual boots, etc., just no time to goof around with this stuff lately.)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                              X