This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not sure where to put this!

You may be able to get something like this by using VMWare ESXi (free) as the underlying system. If you could get ESXi installed (its choosy about its hardware) you should be able to install kubuntu & windows as Virtual PC and switch between them on the fly. ESXi lets you run VM's at near real speed.

Dunno about copy paste etc though.

Comment

It is weird to admit this online - but I had a dream about this question last night (can you say "Uber-Geek"?).

I've decided you could build a neat dual system using available components and fit it into one case.

Like so:
      A mid-sized or larger tower case.
      Two dual or quad-core mini-itx motherboards.
      4 or 8 gb per motherboard
      Two low profile power supplies
      2 or more hard drives
      custom modified 4 to 8 port network switch
      custom modified KVM switch
      dual monitors preferably with dual inputs
      modified usb port sharing device (optional)
      audio speakers with dual inputs

Assemble like so:
      mini-itx motherboards are about 7" square so plenty of room in a large case. These days you can get them with dual NIC's, quad core support, built-in wifi, and a pci-e x16 slot.
      The modified KVM switch installed in 5.25" bay or leave un-modified and external for desktop use.
      The modified network switch is internal and connected to ethernet ports of both mobo's with two external ports.

The concept is you would design two systems to your needs. Lets assume high end gamer for windows and everything else on linux. The windows board has two large hard drives in standard configuration
      and a high-end graphics card: like an nvidia 260gtx, a joystick or game pad. The linux unit has a lesser video card, 2 smaller hard drives with partitions configured in RAID1+0, printers are attached to the linux box.

You connect the network ports of both motherboards to the unmanaged internal switch and the external ports are connected to the switch as well. This way both systems are connected all the time transparently and both connected to the outside world.

The linux system runs samba and shares the printer(s) and both systems have shared hard drive space. The both systems do automatic backup via the network connection onto the second large hard drive of the windows system.

The KVM switch connects both systems to your mouse and keyboard (or you could easily have both if you have desktop room). The monitors (if they have dual inputs) are both connected to both systems. Using an xrandr script in linux and desktop utility software on the windows machine to allow easy monitor setup - both screens up for either system or split use with either left or right arrangement depending on what you're doing. You could even assign the monitor script to a media button on the keyboard - one click and you're good to go.

Orders anyone

Of course, steady yourself for the neighborhood brownouts and the power bill!!!

I do something similar with my home server. I wanted more media storage and my family got tired of me messing with my system, causing media and printer blackouts throughout the house. Building a home server is way cheaper than buying a NAS device (and more usable) so I built a small cased mini-itx based server and stuck it behind my desk. The printers, scanner, VIOP phone, 2tb (soon to be 4tb) of storage, but no monitor. I connected it to one of the dual inputs on one of my desktop monitors so in the rare occasion I need to "see" whats going on I simply push a button on the monitor. I opted to get a cheap wireless mouse and keyboard that I keep put away, rather than the added expense of the KVM switch. Since it's running linux, I can do almost everything via ssh so I only really need the keyboard during installation and upgrades.

Please Read Me

Comment

lol
        I feel you mate, I wish I could drop windows too, one day I hope, one day

Comment

Working...
        X