This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Access to folder usr/share/wallpaper

I am new to Kubuntu (used Windows before) so please excuse if my question appears stupid...

I use Kubuntu 10.04.

Here's my little question:
    I wanted to add some personal wallpapers, and thought it was the best to place these in the same folder (usr/share/wallpapers) as the default wallpaper.

Surprise, surprise:
    I seem not to have access to that folder (create new folder etc are greyed out, impossible to copy or move anything here).
    I "solved" the problem by putting my wallpapers into a new folder in my "home" folder. That one of course worked -
    but why cant't I access the usr/share folder?
    How do I do that?
    Thank you in advance.

Toshiba Satellite L500D-11D, AMD Turion X2, ATI Technologies Inc M92 (Radeon mobility HD4500 series), Kubuntu 10.04,

Re: Access to folder usr/share/wallpaper

Everything - files and directories - outside of your users /home directory is owned by 'root.' But you, as the first user on your system (you were the one who installed Kubuntu) can operate as root when required. The way *buntu does this is with the command sudo and kdesudo. When working from the command line (console) on files, you preface the command with sudo if the action will be on/in/to a root owned item/location.

Let's say that you have your wallpaper files in your Wallpapers folder in your users /home directory. Open a console (K Menu > System > Konsole). You will be in your home directory. Typepwd (print working directory) and you will see this. Now, change directory (cd) in to your Wallpaper folder: cd Wallpapers

Now, let's say you have a wallpaper file called Kooldesktop.jpg that you want to copy (cp) to /user/share/wallpapers. Just type:
    Code:
    sudo cp Kooldesktop.jpg /usr/share/wallpapers/Kooldesktop.jpg
    Type your password when prompted. The file will be copied from your Wallpapers folder to /usr/share/wallpapers.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Linux being what it is there are many solutions to a given situation.

In this case when you want to access a "root2 directory or folder you can press alt+F2 and type:
      Code:
      kdesudo dolphin
      give your password when prompted and dolphin will open in "root" mode.

Here you can move, copy, etc between folders.

Be careful using "root" mode as you can do a lot of damage!!!!

Also don't edit anything in /home while in "root"
      . This can change the access rights to root and you will be able to access as "user" anymore without changing access rights back to "user".

Hope this helps and welcome to the party
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

And: Do NOT use sudo to launch a GUI application! Doing so can have serious consequences on the ownership of your /home directory and files, preventing you from logging in on a subsequent boot.

Comment

And: Do NOT use sudo to launch a GUI application!
          yeah, i forgot that. Thank you snowhog for pointing that out
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks a lot everybody!
            The kdesudo-dolphin version seems a little bit easier than doing everything by command line commands (which certainly works great as soon as you got used to it).

Just a follow up question:
            What are GUI-applications (GUI=graphical user interface - right?). Just give an example and I think I'll understand.

Thanks again for your help & patience!
            Toshiba Satellite L500D-11D, AMD Turion X2, ATI Technologies Inc M92 (Radeon mobility HD4500 series), Kubuntu 10.04,

Comment

You are welcome

GUI? yes GUI=graphical user interface.

Dolphin you have already met.

There are others.

Notable is kate (editor)
              thus:
              Code:
              kdesudo kate
              this is good for editing certain files that in "root".

again beware of what and how you edit!!!!!!
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

As you are new to Kubuntu, I'm going to give you this advise: You will likely become tempted to 'just run as root' because it allows you to do things your logged in user can't. DON'T GO DOWN THAT ROAD.

When you need to do something 'as root,' then use sudo command when operating from the CLI (console - think DOS prompt), or kdesudo GUI_application when you need to launch a graphical application (Dolphin, Kate, ...). The power of 'root' is absolute. Root has the power to completely destroy your system, and can/will do so without warning you IF you do the wrong things. So use roots power sparingly and only when needed.

Go down to your favorite bookseller and pick up a book on Ubuntu - there are many - and start getting familiar with how this OS works. Ubuntu you say? But I'm running Kubuntu. Kubuntu is the Ubuntu 'core' OS with the KDE Desktop Environment.

And lastly, ask questions here (search first though, please) when you need to. It's better (IMO) to ask before doing, than to do and then ask, because the doing messed something up.

Welcome again to KFN. I think you will find your new adventure with Linux/Kubuntu both fun and rewarding.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your advices, I really appreciate all help!
                  I got the message :
                  I will stick to working as user (not root) unless I really need to have root access to something (for example add something to the wallpaper folder ),

I like Kubuntu and this forum already!
                  GREAT!

Comment

My way of doing this is to put a link in the /usr/share/wallpapers folder pointing to a folder in user space.

On my system I have server with shared directories, but you can do the same thing by putting a folder in your /home and making it public.

Then I put any wallpapers I want into the shared directory. KDE is smart enough to follow the link without any problems.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                    X