This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet died after installing Kubuntu 10.04

I'm not totally sure if this is a Kubuntu problem, but since this happened right after installing it and I'm new to using this software it's worth a shot. Here is what happened.

I had Windows XP installed on 1 HD. Another identical HD acting as a backup was turned into my Kubuntu install drive. Internet was working fine on XP until yesterday when I did this install. Right before it went down for good, I was in Windows XP and it was flashing back and forth from "A network cable is unplugged" icon, to the "Aquiring address.." with about 1-2 second intervals, almost like someone was wiggling the wire behind my desk. I've since done the following:

Unplugged my modem and restarted it. (Motorolla)
    Unplugged my router and restarted it, trying my cable in each of 4 ports. (Linksys WRT54G)
    Ensured all cables and etc are properly connected.
    Restarted computer and checked BIOS making sure onboard lan was enabled.

The only change I made to the computer before internet didn't work was installing Kubuntu on a seperate drive. Here are some more facts:

-Internet doesn't work on either OS.
    -I get the message "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection." when I try and repair it.
    -My 1394 Net Adapter shows up in the hardware list in XP and says "This device is working properly."
    -I am using the internet from my router right now to post this message, so only my desktop which is wired to the router doesn't work, wireless in the house is fine.
    -There are no flashing lights near the LAN port on the back of my computer anymore.
    -In Kubuntu, the bottom right corner HAD an icon looking like a cord unplugged and said "Unavailable." Now it has a blue "N" looking icon and says "Networking info not available."
    -I am ripping my hair out.

Anyone have any ideas? I've spent my whole afternoon on this already and I'm out of ideas. I'm leaning towards my port just blew out (even though the computer is about 1 month old) because of the weird connected and then not connected problem, and because it should work just fine in Kubuntu from what I'm reading. I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

Re: Internet died after installing Kubuntu 10.04

Installing Kubuntu, especially to a separate HD than the one you have XP on, would not have done a thing to the hardware, or any drivers used by XP. So, I'm inclined to go with your though that the port is wacked.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Internet died after installing Kubuntu 10.04

If the lights on the LAN port aren't on it usually means no connection or the port is totally dead. The "1394" adapter is not your ethernet card - it's firewire.

Remove the ethernet cable from the port and open a terminal and type

lspci |grep Ethernet
      You should see something like

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
      somewhere in the list. If you get nothing about ethernet, it's likely the port failed. If the port shows up in the list, in this order the usual suspects are:

broken cable or connector
      broken router port
      router firmware

Move the cable to a different port on the router.
      Then get a new or different cable.
      Check the all the port connectors to see if any of them are loose or wiggle.

During all this the lights on your ethernet port should light up if you get a connection.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X