Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain how the desktop folder works?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain how the desktop folder works?

I just installed kubuntu, and it seems to be very nice and polished (I tried Mandriva and Ubuntu and didn't like them as much).

I'm wondering what this weird desktop folder on my desktop is. It takes up the top left quarter of the screen. I'm used to windows and I don't get why there is this separate box on the desktop!
    Dual Boot: Windows 7 / Kubuntu

Re: Can someone explain how the desktop folder works?

Welcome!

A few ramblings...

The rationale here is that the desktop is a multi-function area. You can have either a generic windows-style desktop (right click on the desktop and select appearance I think) and change from folder view to desktop. Some of the terms may be a inaccurate as I'm in front of a win box at the mo.

However, in doing so you then lose some of the functionality. For example consider everything that appears on the desktop to be a widget. The folder view is a widget. So you can have a folder view on the desktop for your /home/desktop folder or any other directory that you want.

If you right click on the folder view you can alter how it looks (icon size etc). If you right click on the desktop area and select unlock widgets you can then resize the folder view, alter its position etc. Also from the right click select add widgets and you will see many of the other things you can put on the desktop. Do the same on the panel and you can configure all sorts of things there too. With a new install you will probably be running KDE 4.3. Right clicking on the desktop will enable you to change the desktop theme. Some of these will make the folder view transparent so it won't be obvious.

Have a play around. After you have achieved a look you like remember to right click and lock widgets. I have lost count of the number of people who have accidentally deleted the bottom panel due to forgetting that

Enjoy, and come back if you need more help.

Edit Oh yes, take a look at my particular favourite, the quick access icon you can put on the panel.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm just starting to figure out that everything is a widget, and when the bottom status bar started to move around my desktop I had a moment of panic
      Dual Boot: Windows 7 / Kubuntu

Comment

I like the desktop folder widget cause it keeps things neat and find-able.

Don't panic! It's all fixable. I think all of us have killed or deleted our taskbar at least once...

Please Read Me

Comment

Personally, I removed that desktop folder thingy from my display as soon as it appeared in KDE4. It's just another way to start working. If you like it, use it. If not, get rid of it and start programs and find files in one of the other, dozen or so, possible ways. You can always put it back. It's just another widget.

Linux is about choice. Exercise your choice; you will not invalidate your (non-existent) warranty and your free and easily accessible user support (here) is always available.

Comment

Originally posted by allwires
            Thanks for the reply. I'm just starting to figure out that everything is a widget, and when the bottom status bar started to move around my desktop I had a moment of panic
            Here's the key concept for the KDE 4 desktop:

Lock widgets to keep it from wriggling and falling apart.

Unlock widgets to make a change (then lock them again, quick!).

Comment

Working...
            X