X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Questions

Hi Everybody,

I am very pleased that this forum exists and I would appreciate it if anybody could answer a few questions for a total newbie to Kubuntu.

I have a second laptop on which I have Windows XP. I want to put Kubuntu on that.

I am fully conversant with Windows OSs.

I intend to download the Kubuntu OS to a CD and install on this latop.

1. Can I overwrite the current Windows XP OS by booting to the CD?

2. If I want to try the Kubuntu OS first before getting rid of Windows, can I have both on the same hard drive? If so, how do I do this?

3. I intend to operate the laptop wirelessly to connect to the Internet. I have a Netgear wireless card (WN511B). Can I use this card with Kubuntu? I have had endless problems on Windows with this card. I think the drivers are at fault.

Regards,

Brian

Re: Multiple Questions

First of all welcome to the forum and to Kubuntu.

1. Can I overwrite the current Windows XP OS by booting to the CD?
    Booting the CD doesn't effect your hard drive - but the installer will allow you to re-format your hard drive during install. Since Kubuntu is available on a LiveCD, you can boot the CD and run the OS from the CD for testing.

2. If I want to try the Kubuntu OS first before getting rid of Windows, can I have both on the same hard drive? If so, how do I do this?
    Yes - this is called "Dual Booting" and there are hundreds of post and web pages on how to do it. Basically, you must make room for linux by re-sizing your windows partition, install the bootloader known as GRUB, and install Kubuntu to the free space.

You can try Kubuntu ftom the LiveCD without installing if you wish. However, in this mode your settings will not be saved and it will run much slower than if it's installed. It's a good way to test out your hardware

3. I intend to operate the laptop wirelessly to connect to the Internet. I have a Netgear wireless card (WN511B). Can I use this card with Kubuntu? I have had endless problems on Windows with this card. I think the drivers are at fault.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...20&mode=linear Wireless is still touchy, especially on the older cards. If it works from the LiveCD you should have no problem getting it to work after installation. If it doesn't work from the LiveCD all is not lost - it just means you'll have to do some work.

Please Read Me

Comment

all your question are answered by oshunluvr..
      here is what i would do if i was in your place.
      1. use the liveCD to boot into and follow the step 1 and 2 of this post: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3108924.0 i.e. to see if driver works
      2. to dual boot.. REMOVE the recovery partition (after creating the recovery DVD) if any.
      3. after getting some hand on kubuntu i would remove xp completely
      asus A52N
      Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
      AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
      windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

IMO: I would add that the easiest way for a noob to resize and/or repartition your hard drive is to use gparted live cd.

It's available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpar...d-live-stable/

Partition magic works well also if you have it.

Some useful tips for the beginner:

1. Always check your md5sum after you burn a CD and BEFORE you try and install from it.
        2. Linux is better safer faster when you use at least three partitions: 1 for swap, 1 for /home (your personal files and settings), and 1 for the install. The reasons are many - just trust me for now. You can do this manually before the install or let the installer do it.
        3. There is LOTS of useful tips and info on the web. Spend some time reading before you install and afterward before you panic or post about a problem. 90% of the time 100's of other people have had and solved your issue.
        4. If you're going to attempt Dual boot - read up a bit on how to do it before you try.
        5. Finally: keep your bootable cd handy. So you can get onto your computer when you mess it up!

Good luck!

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. Great stuff.

Regards,

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
            IMO: I would add that the easiest way for a noob to resize and/or repartition your hard drive is to use gparted live cd.

It's available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpar...d-live-stable/

Partition magic works well also if you have it.

Some useful tips for the beginner:

1. Always check your md5sum after you burn a CD and BEFORE you try and install from it.
            2. Linux is better safer faster when you use at least three partitions: 1 for swap, 1 for /home (your personal files and settings), and 1 for the install. The reasons are many - just trust me for now. You can do this manually before the install or let the installer do it.
            3. There is LOTS of useful tips and info on the web. Spend some time reading before you install and afterward before you panic or post about a problem. 90% of the time 100's of other people have had and solved your issue.
            4. If you're going to attempt Dual boot - read up a bit on how to do it before you try.
            5. Finally: keep your bootable cd handy. So you can get onto your computer when you mess it up!

Good luck!

Comment

There is one suggestion that may be preferable, however, it involves purchasing and installing a new HDD. Hard drives are coming down in price, and if you have used much of your existing hard drive space, a solution to your problem which might be considered is purchasing a new hard drive.

One of the mid-size solid state HDDs might be worth considering and can be used for your new OS. It will be lightning fast when booting and has other benefits. Even large SATAs can be purchased relatively cheaply. By doing this, you can install your new OS on that drive, partitioning to have the OS on a separate partition from your saved data. Then your saved data will be less likely to be lost if anything cause you to lose your operating system. I recently did this with one of my computers, and it was an easy and safe solution to get the system up and running.

Not knowing what you are using your computer for, you should prepare yourself for eliminating the Microsoft product in a short while. When I first installed Kubuntu on my computer, I literally stopped using the XP version of Windows immediately. Once in a while there is something a Microsoft product can do a bit better than Linux, but generally in my experience Linux usually wins any comparison when it comes to quality, and I mean to cast no dispersions on Microsoft products.

You will have some difficulties to learn the changes involved in Kubuntu as opposed to Microsoft, but there are hundreds of people who will help you in the transition.

Shabakthanai

Comment

Just a nuther 2 cent's hear..............but I find I have far fewer cases of file system coruption when resizing a windows partition IF befor resizing you first (from in windows) run chkdsk /f then defrag then chkdsk /f agin ...THEN use Gparted to resize it...........in fact I think it's allwase recomended to at least defrag a windows partition befor resizing!!

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Good advice vin - I haven't used winders in so long I forgot that one

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X