This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to install Kubuntu...have some questions

Okay I'm a lifelong Windows user (currently running XP SP3) and would like something that is hopefully more streamlined and less of a memory/cpu usage hog.

I have some questions about certain applications or things that I can do in Windows and I'm wondering if I can use them in Kubuntu.

1. Skype. I have no phone so this is how I call people. This is a must. I know there's a linux version of Skype, just wondering if it is compatible with this.

2. External plug and play type devices including my external Samsung DVDRW, my external WD Hard Drive and my Logitech Mic that I use with Skype.

3. I realize Itunes is not a Linux program, but is there a program to update my Ipod? I'd like to be able to manage my mp3 files and sync with the Ipod. I also get podcasts, but they're not super important.

4. I use Nero Burning Rom to burn data discs. Will I be able to do that in Kubuntu?

And finally, what are some major things in Windows that I can't do in Kubuntu? Perhaps things I'm not thinking of now, that are big things to know beforehand.

I'm not a graphics guy so I don't use a lot of programs involving photo editing or video/audio editing or anything like that.

Just would like an image organizing program (ala Picasa or Thumbsplus) and a music organizing program as well.

Much thanks for your help.

Re: Going to install Kubuntu...have some questions

QuoVadimus:

1. In/out calls computer-computer, computer-landline, and landline-computer work just as well with the Linux version as the windows version for me.

2. You should have no problem with the external hard-drive. I have, in the past, had issues with some external CD/DVD drives, but if you type in the model and "supported in Linux" in Google, you should be able to find out fairly easily. As for the USB headset, I suggest doing the same Google search to see what comes up (don't have one and have never attempted to install one).

3. Amarok supports syncing I-Pods and a complete list is here: http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Media_Device:IPod maybe someone has a better suggestion though (I don't own an I-Pod)

4. K3B (http://k3b.plainblack.com/) is as good or better than Nero (in my opinion). I used to love Nero and the hassle-free kind of attitude it used to have (haven't used it in many years though). K3B offers the same kind of straight-forward task-oriented interface.... it might actually remind you a bit of Nero.

Now, after saying all of that.... here's what I suggest:

Download the Kubuntu live-cd from http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu burn it to a CD and while still in Windows put it in and choose to install it via "Wubi". This will install Kubuntu alongside Windows and not alter your hard-drive partitions. This way you can try it out, make sure all your hardware works, ensure the programs you want/need do everything you want/need, and play around till your heart's content. Then you can make a fully informed decision on whether to switch to Linux entirely, dual-boot between Windows and Linux, or stick with Windows. If you decide to stick with Windows, you uninstall Kubuntu like you would any other Windows program and you're back to the way you were.

Just keep in mind that there is a bit of a performance hit for running Kubuntu this way, but it more to try it out and see if it does everything you need in a much safer and less painful way

Hope that answers your questions

Cheers
    Man by his very nature is dependent on other men.

Comment

Originally posted by QuoVadimus
      Okay I'm a lifelong Windows user (currently running XP SP3) and would like something that is hopefully more streamlined and less of a memory/cpu usage hog.

I have some questions about certain applications or things that I can do in Windows and I'm wondering if I can use them in Kubuntu.

1. Skype. I have no phone so this is how I call people. This is a must. I know there's a linux version of Skype, just wondering if it is compatible with this.
      Works very well. I have all my phone numbers in my contact list. Can't beat 2 cents/min to any land line or cellphone in the world. I recommend the "static" version at http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-beta-static. It is the _81 version so "Share my screen" works beautifully. I have over a dozen friends and relatives, scattered all over the country, who run Kubuntu and if they need help they can show their screen while I watch what they do and guide them. Most are my age (68) or older, but I rarely get calls or emails from any of them because they don't have any problems.

2. External plug and play type devices including my external Samsung DVDRW, my external WD Hard Drive and my Logitech Mic that I use with Skype.
      I'm assuming that the DVDRW and WD HD are USB devices. Just plug them in and the device notifier will display an action dialog. It will also display a "Safely Remove" option after they are mounted so that they will auto sync and then unmount. After that you can pull them out.. I bought a Logitech UVC camera (C250H) which included a bud ear piece with a throat mic. Works very well.

3. I realize Itunes is not a Linux program, but is there a program to update my Ipod? I'd like to be able to manage my mp3 files and sync with the Ipod. I also get podcasts, but they're not super important.
      Don't know about iTunes ... never use them BUT, use Synaptic and search for "ipod". You'll see several programs related to ipod usage and management. Read the descriptions on all of them before you decide on one. There is one called "ipod" but that doesn't mean it is the best. If you install one and later decide that you don't like it you can right mouse on the green box in synaptic and choose "Completely Remove". Then click the Green Apply checkmark.

4. I use Nero Burning Rom to burn data discs. Will I be able to do that in Kubuntu?
      I've purchased Nero. K3b is world class and blows Nero and every other burner I've tried out of the water. in both power and ease of use.

And finally, what are some major things in Windows that I can't do in Kubuntu? Perhaps things I'm not thinking of now, that are big things to know beforehand.
      Get infected with a virus or Trojan... how's that for starters? Run Windows MediaPlayer? Get harassed by the DRM, restricted by the EULA, or having to upgrade your AV $ub$cription every so often. On the serious side, there are some apps that are available only for Windows. I wrote a fly-by-wire tractor control system for an Ag Engineer friend which required that I run XP because the tool was available only for Windows. So, I dual booted until I finished, then restored the whole HD to Kubuntu. (XP is now running under VirutalBox as a guest OS, but I don't use it for anything.)

I'm not a graphics guy so I don't use a lot of programs involving photo editing or video/audio editing or anything like that.
      Too bad ... you'll miss out on the joys of Blender, GIMP, OpenShot, Kdeliven, Cinerella, Inkscape or several other excellent vector graphics tools and movie makers.

Just would like an image organizing program (ala Picasa or Thumbsplus) and a music organizing program as well.
      If you are taking your own images then Digikam can take them right off your camera and install them into a complete image management environment. Or, you can install Picassa. Get it from here.

That's what we are here for! Welcome to the Kubuntu community! 8)
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

What did you mean by no drm harrassing?

I have a few files that I learned (after buying them via Amazon UNBOX and one via Itunes) that have DRM in it which makes it impossible to transfer to my external HD to put on PS3.

So with Linux does it somehow disable the DRM or something? So I can burn it and then rip it so it doesn't have DRM? I'm referring to videos not music.

Comment

vade.

I've only recently moved over to linux in the last six months or so, so I thought I'd add my two cents since I was in the same position as yourself.

1. Skype installed fine and worked instantly. At first I had some sound issues, where the mic would constantly lose sound. It was easy to fix tho after searching around a bit on this site.

2. All my usb devices popped up and were instantly recognized just as they are in windows. My skype mic also worked as it should, although I did have to turn on the mic boost in the system's mixer - a minor hassle.

3. no idea re : itunes.

4. K3b (the burner / writer) impressed me the first time I used it : easy to use, intuitive, etc. I can't make comparisons to Nero (been a while since I used it), but K3b is feature rich and just works.

re : major differences : I never knew what codecs were before using Linux and it took a bit of reading on forums etc to get videos, mp3 etc. working. However, once you get past that small hurdle you're pretty sweet.

Also, you'll need to read up on using package managers to download software with, rather than downloading off websites as you would in windows. Once you get used to the package management system you'll find downloading easier than ever.

One of the only major hassles I have is related to Flash. I thought I'd let you know about it because it could be important to you. Flash often freezes my Kubuntu system, regardless of browser etc. There's probably a fix to it but as a noob - like you perhaps - I've yet to find it. I worked around it by installing a non-debian OS (still linux though) and Flash plays fine.

Lastly, you may find that you don't face the issues that I had, but you may come up against different ones. But if you're willing to do a bit of reading from time to time you'll get them sorted. The biggest difference for me since moving from windows has beed the support from other users and the wealth of info on the net.

Mike

edit : just saw this article on the ipod and everything i- -- it may interest you.

http://everydaylht.com/2010/04/10/wh...uld-use-linux/

Comment

I would say any linux distro is better than windows in this regard. I have found once you get past the new-user hurdles (adjusting to the basics of linux) you may find some serious performance gains are available with a little tweaking. The simple fact that you will no longer be running virus checkers will improve your performance and reduce memory usage.

Works great.

MOST work great. Lesson #1 to a new linux convert - NEVER buy any new hardware device until you do a little web research into it's ability to work with linux. I have XP running in virtualbox so I can update my Harmony remote. Get on your favorite search site and put in the exact model number of your devices and add the word "linux" to the search bar. You'll get your answers.

I managed my wife's Ipod and Vuse until she got her own laptop. I didn't have any problems. I never tried any podcast's but I'm sure you'll be able to find out how to manage it.

Ditto on the kudos to K3B

There are many high-resource (meaning heavy graphics and/or cpu intensive) games that don't work well or at all with linux. Some will work well enough (Call of Duty) and some even better than with windows (Warcraft III). In addition, there are many linux games that are well done and entertaining enough to waste as much time as you want! In my opinion, everything else can be done as well or better than with windows.

Picasa is available to you as pointed out above. I find Amarok works well enough and is well organized. I have 10k plus songs and have no trouble locating what I want.

Final thoughts: There is a learning curve you're in for. Don't let yourself get frustrated too soon. Even if you totally "ruin" your linux install - you can reinstall faster than you can find and type in your windows serial number. Don't forget to add up all the dollars you'll save NOT buying software - because almost all of it is free.

Once you get past learning how to use linux (installing, updating, changing settings and so on) you will actually find linux is better than windows on almost every front. If you find a particular thing you just can't get past - that's what forums like this one are for. Personally - I might not recommend a Debian based KDE distro as a first try for a new linux user. On the other hand - if you're even a bit computer savvy, you'll be up to speed in short order.

Please Read Me

Comment

One more thing to remember, if you are new to linux: If it is possible, install your "/" and "/Home" directories to different partitions. This will help you to protect your personal data AND program settings. You can find a lot of topics on how to do this easily on internet and on this forum

Regards.

Comment

hi ther..
                even i shifted to linux just 4 months back..
                and before that i had windoze XP sp2.

All of your questions have been answered. (the best part of kubuntu is you will have get superb support through this forum.. these guys on kubuntu are really great)

for substitution to itunes.. you can use songbird or that link given by mikeybabid looks nice.
                moreover.. there is better support coming in kubuntu 10 lucid lynx for ipod. that is something great to look forward to.

and about image handling soft..
                gwenview is gr888 soft. it is far better then windows image viewer.. somewhat hybrid between windows image viewer and picasa.
                there is superb alternative to picasa called digikam. after using it for couple of months.. and getting out of that typical google environment.. i appreciated this digikam soft. and removed picasa altogether.
                and for an alternative to photoshop there is Gimp. i have not used it much.. but it was pretty easy to use..

i have two lil advice for you.
                1. i would suggest you to wait for solid release of lucid lynx. let it get out of beta. only few more days to go
                2. don't move away from kubuntu just because it is different.. but do only if you don't like it.
                there is solution to all the problems.
                and there is always virtual box to keep your xp inside kubuntu just in case.
                asus A52N
                Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
                AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
                windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Some great advice given above. For photos, digikam is my favourite. I use Amarok for my music - however I have a generic MP3 player, rather than an IPOD, so I can't vouch for how it will work.

If I can make one observation, many potential new users are put off because they install linux in the expectation that they are installing a cost-free version of windows. As a result the fact that things are done a bit differently in linux causes a problem ironically quite often for Windows "power" users. Also the point has been well made that one needs to be mindful of the choices you make when you buy hardware - some are better than others. Obviously if your printer is not supported that can be very frustrating, but that is usually down to the manufacturer refusing make drivers for Linux or refusing to release the specs so the community can make their own. So the best thing is to be realistic about the expectations at the start, and view it as an experiment and enjoy the experience.

Some useful newcomer info is here in this publication:
                  http://www.tuxradar.com/linuxstarterpack

Needless to say, come back here if you need any guidance.

Comment

Thanks for all the help! I've been hesitant to jump into Linux because A. I'm nervous of course with anything new, and B. I'm not savvy enough to be able to install XP AND Linux, or setting up partitions and all that jazz.

One game I have that I would LOVE to be able to play, but not sure if it's compatible is Titan Quest (and the addon Immortal Throne).

I haven't been able to play it for awhile because my system is so sluggish lately that I just haven't bothered installing it.

BTW: the printer I have is an All in one HP CS4580 or something along those lines... it's a big name product so I'm sure they have Linux.

Comment

Your HP printer is not specifically listed at openprinting.org but as a number of printers are often covered by the same driver that's not altogether surprising. Best to plug it in and see what the system recommends.

On the question of your game - looks like it works reasonably well under wine - see here

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=7768

It looks like best results will be achieved with the latest version of wine. This will require the addition of the wine repository. I would recommend you familiarise yourself with the interface and packages generally (in particular the installation of software ) before going down this route but all the signs are that things look good for your game.

HTH

Comment

It does appear your printer is supported :

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...00_series.html

TitianQuest appears it works - but that will require some work on your part. You might want to get used to linux a bit before you dive into that.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for all the help! I've been hesitant to jump into Linux because A. I'm nervous of course with anything new, and B. I'm not savvy enough to be able to install XP AND Linux, or setting up partitions and all that jazz.

One game I have that I would LOVE to be able to play, but not sure if it's compatible is Titan Quest (and the addon Immortal Throne).

I haven't been able to play it for awhile because my system is so sluggish lately that I just haven't bothered installing it.

BTW: the printer I have is an All in one HP CS4580 or something along those lines... it's a big name product so I'm sure they have Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                            Some great advice given above. For photos, digikam is my favourite. I use Amarok for my music - however I have a generic MP3 player, rather than an IPOD, so I can't vouch for how it will work.

If I can make one observation, many potential new users are put off because they install linux in the expectation that they are installing a cost-free version of windows. As a result the fact that things are done a bit differently in linux causes a problem ironically quite often for Windows "power" users. Also the point has been well made that one needs to be mindful of the choices you make when you buy hardware - some are better than others. Obviously if your printer is not supported that can be very frustrating, but that is usually down to the manufacturer refusing make drivers for Linux or refusing to release the specs so the community can make their own. So the best thing is to be realistic about the expectations at the start, and view it as an experiment and enjoy the experience.

Some useful newcomer info is here in this publication:
                            http://www.tuxradar.com/linuxstarterpack

Needless to say, come back here if you need any guidance.

Originally posted by Shabakthanai

I am not sure about the games, however, search google those specific games with your Kubuntu OS's identity. The answer is there.

I didn't notice mentioned, because I didn't have time to read everything, but cost is something to be considered. The Linux application competitor to the Microsoft alternative is usually as good or better than the Microsoft alternative; the clincher is that you can download, use, and modify all applications and they are totally free. The only reason I can see to ever remove an application once installed is to open up some lesser used space. Expect each program to be a little different, however, give each application a chance. It won't take as long to get up to speed with the differences as it took to learn the Microsoft version in the first place, and you may find that, once understood, the Linux version is more robust and better. Then when you consider you did not even have to pay for it, with the blessing of the creator, it is a no-brainer.

No one will call you stupid for trying the Linux alternative.

Comment

... I've been hesitant to jump into Linux because A. I'm nervous of course with anything new, and B. I'm not savvy enough to be able to install XP AND Linux, or setting up partitions and all that jazz......
                              When you click the "Install" icon on a Kubuntu LiveCD it will, during the course of the installation, ask if you want to give your WHOLE HD to Kubuntu or share it with Windows, i.e., dual boot. Linux & Kubuntu will take about 6GB and another 10-15GB would be necessary to have a system with most of your desired apps and some space to do stuff like edit movies, etc. You will be given a keyboard check, asked to set your time zone, and then asked your name. IF you enter your whole name it will take your first name (up to the first space it encounters), make all the letters lower case, and use that for your "home" account, which will be "/home/whateveryournameis". Then, it will proceed to either format your entire drive, if you chose to give it all to Kubuntu, or it will split the drive between Windows and Kubuntu. You can, if you wish, choose a manual option to configure your HD. That mode allows you to set how much Windows will keep and how much of your HD that you want to give to Kubuntu. You also have the option of slicing off a piece of the HD to set up as a "swap" drive. Swap drives are configured to act as memory, and the rule of thumb is to create a swap partition which is between 1X and 2X the amount of your RAM. Some systems are fast enough to run without a swap drive.

Once you get Kubuntu installed and you have Skype up and running do a search for me. I am GreyGeek on Skype (or, search for Jerry L Kreps). Then when you need help you can call me if I am online at the time!

I have an HP5610 All--in-one printer and it connects beautifully. I have it set up on a local USb port. My Samsung ML-1210 is set up on a Linksys Wireless Print Server so both my wife and I can use it.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X