Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd problem: Disappearing sound & sound cards?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd problem: Disappearing sound & sound cards?

Hello everyone.

I'm having a problem with Kubuntu. I am new to Kubuntu, as I've always used Ubuntu in the past. So this error, which never appeared on any other Linux distro, is new to me.

I keep getting the following message on the screen:

Here is the problem: for some odd reason, every time I turn on the machine, it keeps telling me that sound cards where removed, when they weren't. Even if I say yes or no, the message box keeps appearing every few times I turn on the machine. What's worse is that there are times in which I can hear sounds, like from the system itself or from websites, but when I try to listen to MP3's or movies, either I dont hear anything or I see this message:

From what I can tell (since it's libraries), it seems to be a communications error between the program trying to access the hardware and the hardware itself, or the library, if you will.

How can I fix this? Why did it happen? Could it be a codec problem?

And that message above not only appears for the hardware it shows, but with other sound related hardware, like the internal PCI sound card, and the TV tuner card.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Odd problem: Disappearing sound & sound cards?

IMHO: It's pulseaudio. I have had trouble with every machine that I've ever had with pulseaudio.

On my desktop I have an AD1988/Intel ICH9r built-in audio with two digital outputs and one analog output that a listed as separate "devices". I use two of the three outputs. With pulsaaudio I could never get both working at once and often had the same exact error your getting. Totally randomly, one or other of the sound devices would fail and the system would ask me to remove one or the other devices.

On my media computer I have an ALC888 audio that, after an update to pulseaudio just stopped working.

In short:after hours of trying to do it the "right" way I gave up, removed pulseaudio from both machines and viola - sound works perfectly on both.

If you want to try removing pulseaudio there are two libraries that have to stay - libpulse0 and libpulse-mainloop-glib0. You should remove all the pulse-plugins and pulseaudio and pulseaudio-utils (and any other pulseaudio files).

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks, but unfortunately it did not help.

Removing the files took out a mess of other files, like Kopete, Dophin, KpackageKit, etc, limiting the GUI functions considerably.

Is there any way to resolve this?

Comment

Megasdkirby, did you ever resolve this one? I have the same error message coming up now on my Dell Studio 1557, for no earthly reason I'm aware of, although I don't have any actual problems with sound except in Amarok, which won't play mp3s or oggs.

Comment

Working...
        X