This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba and DNS

I can't access my samba shares if I'm set up to use a static dns (in this case, OpenDNS) - I have to remove my static IP settings, meaning I can have either port forwarding or networking. Is there a cause for this? (Kubuntu 9.10 accessing a share on Xubuntu 9.04 or Windows XP or Windows Vista, through either Nautalis or smb4k).

Re: Samba and DNS

Sorry but that's not nearly enough information for me to help you. From what you've written it sounds impossible from the start. I don't see how you can make it work. This is not a Kubuntu problem. It is an inherent limitation of the technology.

If anyone here knows better, and can understand what OP is talking about, please offer a solution. I'm dying to read it.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I agree with Telengard. More information, please! How is your home network set up? Why do you need dns to access a computer on your home network?

For example, suppose that you are running through a home router: even if a particular machine doesn't have a permanent address, you can always use the computer in question to learn its address via ipconfig (windoze) or ifconfig (Linux). Then, you can address it as "192.168.1.xxx", or whatever.

Comment

Nothing about that post makes any sense... I totally agree with the rest of the guys, more information is definately required..

Cant you view samba shares using the ip? smb://server/share

- Why you have static DNS (Although i cant see why you would want this unless you have an internal network)

Having said that, if you have configured your DNS settings (Im assuming you mean /etc/resolv.conf) yourself, then if you have your own domain on your network which includes your samba shares, then your settings should be something like

domain internal.domain

server ns.internal.domain # (internal dns server, which has forwarding for all unknown address's)
        server ns2.public.domain # (Maybe an external naming server incase your internal one fails, atleast then you will still be able to resolve internet address's)

search internal.domain

If however youve set your dns servers to just use external servers, therefore bypassing your internal network and not allowing internal host lookup. Then to get round this to be able to look up certain hosts, you would have to add additional entries to /etc/hosts That way the hosts file will be checked first before looking at the dns servers

Im only stabbing in the dark, so really yeah more info please

Comment

I apparently forgot to set notifications on this topic. Whoops.

I shouldn't need special DNS settings to access an internal IP address - but somehow, if I change the DNS settings for the external DNS, Samba ****s bricks and stops seeing any shares.

I've got a network set up, fairly typical with wireless - two desktop computers (one that acts as a web server) and two wireless computers. I'm using wicd as my network manager in kubuntu. I hadn't put in my static internal IP so my port forwarding would work; when I did so, it asked me to specify a DNS server. I used OpenDNS and Samba stopped working. I unchecked "use static IP" as well as "use static DNS" and Samba started working again.

The computer should all have assigned IP addresses, that's how I normally access my shares.

What should I be adding to the /hosts file? My web server's really more of a testing server, it's running apache but I access it through a no-ip.com address. I've never touched /etc/resolv.conf - like I said, if I don't use openDNS and instead auto-detect DNS settings, it works just fine.

Comment

Why don't you attach your smb.conf file to your next post? I always assume that network manager is the culprit because I've had so many issues with it, but this seems odd.

Can your server/clients ping each other? Are your hostnames correctly defined? What I mean by that is can you ping using your hostname rather than IP.

Please Read Me

Comment

Smb.conf from the laptop (not the comp hosting the files, the one with the issue) attached.
              Attached Files

Comment

Right from what you said about your wireless:

1. If you change your dns settings as you said you did to use opendns, then this will cause all dns lookups to look straight passed your internal stuff and look directly at the internet (opendns)

Normally depending on your setup, if say for example you have a wireless router with inbuilt adsl capabilities, then by default your router will issue ip address's dynamically via dhcp therefore all your computers are on the same subnet and any internet requests will firstly hit the router to try and resolve the request internally, and then if it cant resolve the address it will pass it to the dns servers setup on the router so that it passes unanswered requests to the internet.

The best thing to do is start at the beginning:

From a terminal window, type "nslookup" without the quotes, then type "server" at the prompt. This will give you the ip address of the dns server(s) your computer is currently trying to pass requests to.

eg.

adamc@AC-Kubuntu:~$ nslookup
                > server
                Default server: 192.168.1.1
                Address: 192.168.1.1#53

This should give you your router ip address, if this isnt the case and its giving you the opendns servers, then in wicd you need to change your dns settings to point to your router ip. (the internal address for the router, not the external one) generally its something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

Then this will make your laptop pass requests to your router so when you type http://www.google.com in a web browser its basically asking your router, do you know what the ip address is for this address?

At which point normally the router will say sorry i dont know what ip this should be but i know someone who does... And then it passes it to your ISP's dns servers to resolve the address.

This way all internal traffic gets resolved by your router and all external traffic gets resolved by your ISP's dns servers.

If you really want to carry on using open dns, rather than your isp's dns servers, then you can login to your router and change the ip address's that your router uses but your ISP ones should be fine.

Comment

Huzzah, good sir! Thanks so much!

ETA: Should this be making my internet browsing slow waaay down? It only happens if my DNS is set to my router; if I set it to the same thing that nslookup gives me when I'm not using a static IP, which is also what my router is set to, I've got speed galore. Also apparently that makes samba work, so my original question I guess is answered, though I'm now curious as to what's going on behind the scenes here.

Comment

You shouldnt notice a difference in speed. All that is happening now that you have set your laptops dns settings to point to your router is:

User requests a website -> Laptop asks router to resolve the address -> The router can't resolve the address so passes it to your ISP's dns.

If you can log into your router and view the dns servers that it is using, there are generally two address's the primary and the backup. Have you changed these at all? As the router would normally be set with the dns servers of your ISP.

If the address's you were previously using for opendns are different to whats currently on your router, you can change the router ones to use the opendns servers if you want, to test if it will make things any faster, different dns servers will perform faster or slower, but generally its not noticable, but i would make sure to make a note of what you are changing them from incase you want to swap them back.

Comment

When I unchecked the "use static IP" settings, I also had unchecked "use static DNS"; without either selected, the DNS listed was the same as in the router, so I presume that came from my ISP. When I set the static IP and set the DNS to the router's address, pages loaded ridiculously slower and often timed out. Changing the static DNS to the same setting the router has (something like "209.18.47.61") restored the speed.

Comment

Glad you sorted it

Comment

ARGH! Or not. Now it apparently shows me the computers in my workgroup but won't actually connect to them.

Comment

So do you mean for instance if you open dolphin and then click on network, then samba shares, then choose your workgroup and then the pc in question and the shares you cant get access to them?

Comment

Yes. I believe it attempts to access it for a long while before telling me it couldn't access the shares, but I'm not at home ATM to check.

Comment

Working...
                              X