Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: After installing Kubuntu i get sh:grub&gt; screen...what to do??

heh this is my boot.ini

[boot loader]
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer
    C:\wubildr.mbr = "Kubuntu"

I will try to delete Kubuntu entry, and see what happens!

Comment

That suggests that you one used WUBI ... ? (geez, if so, I know nothing about WIBI!)
      Hopefully, by deleting that entry, you'll be back to a straight Windows boot.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yey, i have deleted it, and now XP boots alright...
        Wow man, your intuition is amazing!!!

Now i wonder...what if all these troubles were there only because of wubi in the first place...
        Maybe I had "sh:grub>" issue because wubi was pointing to a non-existing linux OS in the first place...
        Maybe i wouldn't have any of these problems if i hadn't used wubi before doing the full scale Kubuntu install...
        I wonder what would happen if i switch bios to load back from the win XP drive...
        OFC i would have to edit boot.ini in windows to point to linux OS...if that's even possible

Anyways dude...thank you you were great, guiding me through this process...Is there any way i can like give you a carma point or whatever??

Comment

Yep, WUBI may have left artifacts laying around, for sure. These bootloaders like to get anywhere they can -- partition boot sectors, Master Boot Records, even on flash drives.

You could experiment with that boot.ini (copying the entry you posted above). Now that you know how to get back to HERE, even if something breaks, it should be fixable. Or ... just enjoy Kubuntu for awhile until you are in a bootloader mood. Thing about bootloader problems is that they are show stoppers--a real bummer if you can't even get booted into the OS. Easy to get obsessed about finding solutions when that happens. I'm obsessed with it anyway, always trying to break things.

Glad you got this fixed. Obviously (to me), you pretty much know your way around these things, are pretty handy when it comes to tackling this sort of thing. Nice work on your end, Loshmi. Between the two of us, I think we covered a 24-hour clock! Looks like the thread never slept.

Carry on there.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

How can i edit the tittle of this topic, so that it cointains word <SOLVED> ?

Comment

Modify the first post and edit the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike

That suggests that you one used WUBI ... ? (geez, if so, I know nothing about WIBI!)
                Hopefully, by deleting that entry, you'll be back to a straight Windows boot.
                Wubi and Grub 2 don't work properly yet. It can be done but needs a custom grub.cfg.
                see entry 160 here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...9?comments=all

Comment

Working...
                X