Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED>After installing Kubuntu i get sh:grub> screen...what to do?? <SOLVED >

Oko i tried installing Kubuntu on a hard disk...after i finished installation i rebooted...but all i get is

sh:grub>

nothing else...

I got 2 hard drives on my system, i use one hard drive for win xp, and i wanted to put Kubunt on the other hard drive...can any1 help?

Thanks in advance!

Re: After installing Kubuntu i get sh:grub&gt; screen...what to do??

It sound like it may be a bad burn.

Have a look at "BurningIsoHowto" on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Consider the general principles of dibl's "Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers " Question Number 1 on http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

wELL, the hash code is ok, so its not that...
      Could it be that the problem is because i used standard desktop iso, and i have 64 bit amd processor

Comment

now i downloaded alternative kubuntu disk, and check it's hash , and installed it, and still have:

sh: grub>

what's wrong with that?

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you trying to install?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

9.10 alternative disk..i managed to enter Kubuntu with super grub software (or something like that)...although i only have the console...but as soon as try rebooting and enetring without help of the super grub software i again get
            sh:grub>

What can i do?

Comment

This is just a guess. I haven't had windoze on my machines for several years, so I have no problems choosing which operating system to run. When you installed Kubuntu on your SECOND hard drive, I suspect that Grub was installed there. Accordingly, it became your FIRST hard drive (as far as grub was concerned) unless you told grub what was where. Now, when you start your machine, grub starts up, but it doesn't find anything because it is looking at the wrong hard drive.

BTW, I suspect that the point of Snowhog's question was to find out which version of grub you have installed, the original grub, or grub2. The procedures to resolve your problem will be different with the two programs.

Comment

Basically, you just need to re-install GRUB.

You can do that from a Live Kubuntu CD (using the command line Konsole), or by using Super GRUB Disk (SGD) to boot into Kubuntu and then re-install GRUB (using the command line Konsole).

Your setup sounds fairly normal, so I'd first try using SGD to "Fix Boot" of GNU/Linux. Recently, this happened to me with the new GRUB 2, and rather than mess with it (I was in a hurry), I simply used SGD and it re-installed the older GRUB Legacy into a dual-boot/two-disk setup, just like yours.

Just in case you need it and I'm not around, you need the material under "re-install GRUB."
                GRUB legacy:
                -- How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
                The new GRUB 2:
                GRUB 2 A Guide for Users
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0

=> SGD can do this for you; I'd try it first.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Well, the version of grub is 1.97 beta.
                  I tried using SGD to fix my grub, to no avail...
                  I will try using the manual now...i'll let you guys know if it worked...

And thank you all for suggestions.

Comment

So you have the new GRUB 2.
                    Use SECTION 3 (Fixing Things) in the GRUB 2 GUIDE: Re-installing GRUB 2 using a Live CD.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

hmm, something is wrong, cause whenever i try to use "kdesudo dolphin" (like they advise in the tutorial) it gives me "cannot connect to X" something...

Comment

Hmmm ... that shouldn't happen from a live CD. Try
                        kdesudo konqueror
                        or try Dolphin again, give it time, sometimes it will eventually load.

Comment

Ok when then SDG loads my system it says the boot file is on the (hd1,0) but in all values in the grub.cfg there is a value (hd0,0) and gets the windows partition...
                          So can any1 tell me which files do i have to alter to tell grub to try and get linux out of the linux partition

Comment

Since you can get into Kubuntu (using SGD), just open Konsole and run
                            sudo grub-install /dev/sda
                            and if that fails, do
                            sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
                            (--recheck is with two dashes)

Comment

Usually ...

We'd set your BIOS to boot from the Windows drive.
                              The Windows drive would be called sda and Windows would be on sda1 (the first partition of drive sda);
                              and sda = hd0, and sda1 = (hd0,1) (in GRUB 2).
                              The Kubuntu drive would be sdb (= hd1).
                              We usually install GRUB to sda (or to /dev/sda = the Master Boot Record of drive sda).

The file /boot/grub/device.map contains these settings (this mapping between the sdx's and the hdn's). It is possible that the Kubuntu installer guesses this mapping incorrectly. Thus, you occasionally have to re-install GRUB manually, as we are trying to do here.

Comment

Working...
                              X