Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't Connect to Internet (Wired or Wireless) - Live CD - Dell Latitude D620

After taking your most recent advice, I was still unable to locate Synaptic and the wicd package. I even tried installing Kubuntu (and later, Linux Mint) side-by-side with Windows just in case there were some restrictions by just running the Live CD, and the same problems still occur. Either there is a much more complex answer, or we are overlooking something here. Another thing, I saw there was an option to activate certain hardware and, more notably, certain drivers. I attempted to activate my wireless card(s), and after hitting the Activate button, the option to select the drivers is grayed out and nothing happens. This is turning out to be a lot more of a nuisance than I imagined. Someone please help before I lose all hope in open-source OS's.
    ---<br />&quot;How do you make a guitarist stop playing?&quot;<br /><br />&quot;Give &#39;em sheet music.&quot;

Comment

Re: Can't Connect to Internet (Wired or Wireless) - Live CD - Dell Latitude D620

Synaptic does not come installed by default - it's a gnome-based application. The default package manager (kpackagekit) is not very good IMHO so you need to install synaptic via the terminal.

Hit alt+F2. In the box type konsole to throw up a terminal. In the terminal type

Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      Than hit return
      You will be prompted for your password. Type that in and hit return
      You should see all the packages lists being downloaded which means the database is being updated.

Then type
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install synaptic wicd
      then hit return . Both packages should be downloaded and installed. Note that wicd installation will also result in the removal of the default network manager.

When that finishes type exit and hit return. Konsole will close.

Hit alt+F2 and type wicd in the box. Select the wicd manager. You will hopefully see your connection then. If you do click on the little icon near the connection name which will then open the settings dialog within wicd which will then enable you to enter your security settings.

HTH

ian

Comment

How far from your wireless router is your PC?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X