Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Connect to Internet (Wired or Wireless) - Live CD - Dell Latitude D620

I have used Linux very, very briefly and have limited experience with its distros and commands. I recently downloaded the most recent version of Kubuntu and successfully booted it using the LiveCD (after burning the ISO image). Everything comes up correctly, but I am limited to the applications and programs (I'm assuming you need to fully install it to have access to those). I attempted to connect to the internet using the Network Manager, but the Scan will not recognize my wireless connection, which is encrypted by a WEP key. My laptop's specs are listed below. Please help.

Wired: 56K v924 Internal Modem 10/100/1000 Gigabit5 Ethernet network interface adaptor
    Wireless: WLAN Intel® 3945 WiFi 802.11a/g, Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g, Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Dual-Band Mini-Cards, Internal Bluetooth (optional).
    ---<br />&quot;How do you make a guitarist stop playing?&quot;<br /><br />&quot;Give &#39;em sheet music.&quot;

Re: Can't Connect to Internet (Wired or Wireless) - Live CD - Dell Latitude D620

could be a few things..

could your first check the output of
    [code=run in konsole]iwconfig[/code] and
    [code=run in konsole]ifconfig[/code]you should also post (only parts about your network items)
    [code=run in konsole]lshw[/code]

you could have a few problems here. the first thing to find out is if your devices are configured correctly(in the system), so we can move on to the next item. most likely you are having a problem with the network manager in kde.i would normally suggest that you just install wicd, but if you using a live cd.i would think that you are trying not to rush into an install untill you know things are going to be working correctly. therefore you will want to check lshw about your network to make sure it has a driver and you want to make sure that you have a eth0 and a wifi0. now your wired is a driver issue i would think.

on my laptop ( a dell latuitude c840) have every thing working correctly and tested, except for my modem.i have never attempted to use it. you can also try an ubuntu live cd, if you can connect to your wifi with that then you know for sure its knetworkmanager. my hardware is a bit diffrent then yours but i don't see any part that screams difficut to get working in your network items.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: Can't Connect to Internet (Wired or Wireless) - Live CD - Dell Latitude D620

The network manager in 9.04 is reported (?) to be, ah, less than desireable? Take a look through Howto: Ethernet connection without a GUI by Detonate. Good stuff there.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What does

iwlist scanning

report?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I think one of the problems is that I can't access a console (konsole), I haven't been able to find it on the desktop or in any of the pre-installed folders, and when I do find one, it will inform me that I cannot open it. I know this is a pain, because I've never really installed or used Linux to this detail, but do you think you can provide me with a link with simple directions or maybe you can help me with that. A step by step check for konsole would be a good start....

Thanks again.
          ---<br />&quot;How do you make a guitarist stop playing?&quot;<br /><br />&quot;Give &#39;em sheet music.&quot;

Comment

What happens if you do this?

Alt+F2
            konsole

On my system the menu pick for konsole is located at KMenu->Applications->System->Terminal

Comment

Once I get back home to my laptop I will attempt using the Alt+F2 shortcut, but until then I have to say this is quite embarrassing, considering I'm a computer/software engineer of about 5 years. I've never had to install a Linux distro or reconfigure my drivers and network management to accompany a totally different, and open source, operating system. I'm diving into Linux because Windows just isn't cutting it anymore and I'm using my old Latitude as a canvas to sharpen several programming and networking skills. Thanks for bearing with me.

Comment

OK, so I've tried using the Alt+F2 shortcut, and it brings up a small command line which is called "Run Command" regardless of whether I press enter or say "Run (command)" after the code you gave me, the command line disappears and nothing happens.

Comment

OK, I've managed to pull up Konsole and run the code. Here are the results:

eth0 no wireless extensions
                  wmaster0 no wireless extensions

eth0 Ethernet
                  UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU

pci1:
                  BCM4312 802.11a/b/g (Broadcom)
                  driver = b43-pci-bridge

pci: 2
                  82801G PCI Express
                  driver = pcieport-driver

network:0 DISABLED
                  description: Wireless interface
                  logical name: wlan0

network:1 DISABLED
                  description: Ethernet Interface
                  logical name: pan0

Comment

Here is what happens when I run the following:

post the output of lspci

Ethernet Controller: BroadCom Corp NetXtreme BCM5752
                    Network Controller: BroadCom Corp BCM4312 802.11a/b/g

Comment

I'll bet your wireless light is not on.

Install b43-fwcutter from the repository. It should pull the firmware out of your wireless chip and create a driver for it. After that you can use wicd or networkmanager to configure your wireless connection.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I was able to establish a wired connection while running the Kubuntu Live CD, so I am now able to download packages from the repositories. Can someone please give me a sort of step-by-step method of what packages/software to download so I am able to work around this lack of wireless connection. I've heard suggestions of fwcutter and wicd so far, but I really need some more detailed instructions, especially if I have to edit the source lists.

Comment

If you open a konsole and issue:

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

It will do everything that needs to be done to setup your wireless chip. When it's done your wireless light should come on. Then you can run network-manager (KMenu --> System --> KNetworkManager), give it your ESSID, password, type and mode. IF KNetworkManager gives you problems you can use Synaptic to remove it and install wicd. Open Synaptic, click the reload icon, enter knetworkmanager in the search texgt box and it should automatically appear in the list. Right mouse on it and click "compeletey remove", and click the "Apply" icon. When it is done, enter wicd in the textbox and it should automatically appear in the list. Right click and select "install". Click the Apply icon. When it is done close Synaptic. Then look for wicd in Kmenu --> System and run it. Enter the usual info to configure your wireless.

Comment

I succcessfully installed fwcutter, but it was unable to fix my wireless connection. I then proceeded to install Synaptic, but once it was installed, I searched for it throughout the entire system and could not find it, so I simply used the original software manager to remove fwcutter. The one problem I ran into was not being able to download wicd, as it did not show up in the software packages list, or anywhere else in the system. Unless I have performed any of these steps incorrectly, I don't think either fwcutter or wicd have helped fix this wireless problem. Any other suggestions or details to the steps I've just used that I may have overlooked?

Comment

wicd should be in the standard repo's be sure to update the package cache before you look for it, synaptic should be in your kmenu after you install it,but if you are unable to find it you can run it by hitting ALT+F2 and typing in "kdesudo synaptic" (no quotes), when using a live cd (if you still are) items get installed to RAM so if you don't have a lot space can fill quickly
                              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                              X