• Show
Clear All

Re: KPPP configuration and fixing a root error

Originally posted by vinnywright
    when you did
    Code: sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp
    Returns: Unable to fetch some archives
    did you have internet?

becos if you dident you cant apt-get eneything!.........well off the net eneyway.

is the phone the onley net acsess you have?

if you had net on the box when you did your apt-geting

sudo aptitude install gnome-ppp
    As mentioned in an above post, it returned rather lengthy printout.
    post the rather lengthy printout..............if not dont bother

VINNY
    Vinny,
    Thank you for your post. I'm very frustrated and appreciate the efforts of all those trying to help. Being so frustrated, I may forget to be polite, so please try to understand how frustrating this can be..I do appreciate your time and effort very much...now, to clarify..

Tethering my cell phone works fine under M$. Been trying for years to get it working under Ubuntu. Yes, connecting via my cell phone is only viable option for me. However I could get an aircard, as opposed to tethering. The reason I prefer tethering is because it has no Verizon contract involved. If I switch to an aircard, there would be a 1 or 2 year contract with it.

Perhaps I wasn't clear: I DO NOT have a working internet connection with linux, and never have had. IF I EVER GET ONE, I will be doing a happy dance non-stop for many days! The absolutely most frustrating problem for a linux noob like me has to be this-- not being able to connect to the Internet.

So----that being the case, you do not want the output? Well if you did, it would be hard, but I could do it (if I can get it to generate again).

(Assuming I can get it to generate again, I would need copy it to paper from the kubuntu.....and then type it here from my paper. I don't know any other way to do it. If I can get it again, I may do that, because some helpful forum member may find it useful.)

Comment

In this post are reports from 2 code entries.

Code: ifconfig ...returns info about 4 interfaces: eth0, eth1, eth0:avahi, and lo.....eth0 and eth1 both report 0 errors and I think they are irrelevant so I'm not posting their output. The other two have output as follows:

eth0:avahi Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:6f:bd:7c:44
      inet addrxx.xxx.x.xxx Bcastxxxx:255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0
      UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      Interrupt:19 Base address: 0xa000 Memory: ffcfe000-ffcfefff

[parvati note: I think this is the KPPP error 19 I kept getting after making myself member of about 7 permissions groups. Being ignorant noob, I can only make an ignorant guess, but that net address looks very much like it was connecting...yes?...anyway I uninstalled KPPP yesterday....I don't think KPPP is going to get me properly connected...but I don't know squat...just trying anything to get up and running internet connection]

lo Link encap: Local Loopback
      inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
      inet6 addr: :: 1/128 Scope:Host
      UPLOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
      RX packets: 40 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
      TX packets: 40 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
      RX bytes: 2480 (2.4 KB) TX bytes: 2480 (2.4KB)

then I ran again
      Code: sudo aptitude install gnome-ppp. The output is both different and shorter than what I received before. This is what I now receive:

Reading package lists ...Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      Reading extended state information
      Initializing package states... Done
      Writing extended state information... Done
      The following NEW packages will be installed:
      gnome-ppp
      0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      Need to get 84.0kB of archives. After unpacking 614kB will be used.
      Writing extended state information... Done
      ERR http://us.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/universe gnome-ppp 0.3.23-1
      Could not resolve 'us.archive.ubuntu.com'
      E: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...23-1_i386.deb: Could not resolve 'us.archive.ubuntu.com'
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      Reading extended state information
      Initializing package states... Done

[parvati note: once again, being ignorant noob I can only make ignorant guesses...looks to me like gnome-ppp IS installed. System tried to access internet for updates...failing that, it installed gnome-ppp anyway. Now how can I find out if it was installed and, if so, configure it?]

Comment

[parvati note: once again, being ignorant noob I can only make ignorant guesses...looks to me like gnome-ppp IS installed. System tried to access internet for updates...failing that, it installed gnome-ppp anyway. Now how can I find out if it was installed and, if so, configure it?]
        NO...without a working internet conection you can NOT apt-get or aptitude or synaptic eneything.

ERR http://us.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/universe gnome-ppp 0.3.23-1
        Could not resolve 'us.archive.ubuntu.com'
        E: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...23-1_i386.deb: Could not resolve 'us.archive.ubuntu.com'
        Could not resolve 'us.archive.ubuntu.com' means just that ......it cant find it.

IF you can get the packeg DL'd to the box from windows you will be abel to install from Kubuntu.........BUT you will half to find the dependencey's your self (if eney) and get them to!

the BEST way for you to get this in is to find a frend or some way to hard wire your box for net
        untill you get the packages you nead.

DO eney of the rest of you guys Know war he should DL the .deb's from?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
          NO...without a working internet conection you can NOT apt-get or aptitude or synaptic eneything.
          I knew synaptic is a package manager that installs packages from the Internet. But... after doing a little research yesterday, it wasn't clear what the difference between "apt-get" and "aptitude" codes are. Since Kubuntu uses the Ubuntu kernel, why can't a simple command have Ubuntu applications installed from the kernel itself, as opposed to accessing the Internet?? I thought maybe the command "aptitude" was just for that purpose..
          (as opposed to the "apt-get" command which can only install applications from the Internet).

Why then, does the output say, in response to Code: sudo aptitude install gnome-ppp

'The following NEW packages will be installed: gnome-ppp'
          and
          '0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed....'
          and
          'Initializing package states... Done' <---- says that twice....once before the attempted Internet connection and once afterward.

[Note: Prior to removing KPPP, as I recall, the output told of numerous attempted file deletions and file additions with no apparent progress being made. However, I can no longer access that output.]

Also, the second link posted by Kevin gives instructions for connecting to Internet when no connection is yet available. And the suggested Code is:
          sudo aptitude install gnome-ppp ....... ??

The other thing I notice from the output return on
          Code: ifconfig
          is that
          if you look at the output from eth0:avahi.......it gives
          HWaddr 00:16:6f:bd:7c:44

Could that be a hardware address, or HARDWARE ID CODE, for my cell phone? Because if it is, then it is perhaps confirmation that at one point, prior to Error Code 19, the system was recognizing my cell phone and using it to access the Internet via the IP given in the output.

I think I did have partial Internet connection, because KPPP was finally configured well enough to have it running the clock, as though connected...with no more error codes generated. But Konqueror was never able to open web pages. I really don't think it is possible for me to get KPPP to successfully initiate my type of Internet connection. And from what I've read, very few people have gotten Jaunty KPPP to work for their Internet connection. That's why I removed it.

Comment

In the last couple of your posts, as Vinny said, the problem is that your box cannot connect to the internet to download the one package that you need - gnome-ppp.

Try to get the package from http://packages.ubuntu.com - use the search box, type the package name. Some have 32bit and 64bit versions, some have one version only.
            This is a .deb which is easily installed in dolphin by clicking on it and if dependencies are satisfied (shown in the above link), it will be installed for you. If you have another computer with access to the net, use that, copy the file to a removable flash disk or something, then copy it to your Kubuntu box. If there are dependencies, play safe and copy them too. You will need to install the dependencies before you can install gnome-ppp.

Once installed, you should be able to connect via your cellphone.

HWaddr 00:16:6f:bd:7c:44
            This is a IPv4 address of a network device - such as wireless, mobile phone, etcetera. Each device has a unique address.

HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Working...
            X