This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KPPP configuration and fixing a root error

Trying for 5 years to use linux and still trying but getting ready to throw the towel in as maybe not geeky enough. Hoping to get help with KPPP config and especially with fixing an error made under root. Even after 5 years of slowly learning, I still know very little about linux and Kubuntu. My objective is: surfing the net and emails. That's it. If that can be successfully accomplished, I'll be amazed and happy. (Eventually would like to get printers working under kubuntu but that's for much much later. )

XP/Kubuntu dual boot
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty kernel 2.6.28-14 generic
    Internet connection: Tethering Verizon LG cellphone to laptop
    Using Kubuntu since 8-10-09

2 days ago Aug 10, after 19 hours of grueling trial & error, I thought KPPP had successfully initiated internet connection. I thought this bc no more error messages, it was in the toolbar as though successfully launched, and the clock was running. That was the best I could achieve. The problem was that Konqueror wouldn't open webpages....I tried maybe 5 times. Also Network Connections indicated a New Wireless Connection (great) but under Last Used--indicated Never (never did get a webpage to open).

So here is where I screwed up: I figured maybe the webpage couldn't open bc I didn't have permission, i.e., I needed to get myself listed in the appropriate group. So I look at the group abbreviations that don't tell me squat most of the time, and I add my username to several groups, among them the "root" group. This appears to have been a huge mistake.

I reconnected KPPP, with the apparently successful configuration, and now can't get anything except error message 19 which just does the same root initiated error whenever I start KPPP.

Log gave me a file name which could be the problem but today when I tried to move the file, was told: No such file or directory. I also created two new folders and attempted to move one into the other and was told the same thing: No such file or directory.

I don't know what I'm doing at all; what I'm doing wrong or right. After searching the internet for ideas, I experiment. So I tried Recovery Mode thinking it might be something like Windows System Restore. That was a mistake as it was nothing like System Restore. Had to use ctrl-alt-del to get out of that. It appears to have caused no damage but who knows...

KPPP Log gave this, which I thought was the source of the problem:
    /root/.kde/share/apps/kppp/kppp/pid. The only way I know to get the readout from Kubuntu into XP (what I'm using now) is to copy it to paper and then type it here, except the space probably won't get it on one line so I'm dividing it into 1)the left side and 2)the right side....even though there's no split in the readout.

The left side of the colon is like this:

Aug11 14.47.15 ubuntu pppd [4431]:
    Aug11 14.47.18 ubuntu pppd [4431]:

The right side of the colon is this:

pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <-> /dev/tty USB0
    PAP authentication failed
    Connection terminated.
    Exit.

Also tried "noauth" in arguments and that didn't work either.

[note: appears it would have fit on one line, so will do next time]

Re: KPPP configuration and fixing a root error

it sounds like you may have a permission error, perhaps caused by doing something as root (sudo) that you should not have done... it might be a good idea for you to check your permissons for the script you made.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for the reply sithlord48. My problem arose from taking membership in about 7 groups hoping that one of them would let me use Konqueror to open webpages. I didn't use any script. Yesterday I just ran the apparently properly configured KPPP which was working before, and did so after adding my username to these groups.....and membership in these new groups caused the problem, which I now am unable to fix. I get error message saying there is another instance already running. Since posting this thread, I also tried with a new account....but the same thing happens, readout identical to what I posted but with different times and the bracketed number is different.

I used Kubuntu terminal only once, which was today, when attempting to move the aforementioned file, /root/.kde/share/apps/kppp/kppp.pid, out of KPPP. Because I was told the file didn't exist, nothing happened....so there is no script to check permissions on.

Comment

your trying to do this in root's home..:?? you can not use this folder as a user only as root.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
          your trying to do this in root's home..:?? you can not use this folder as a user only as root.
          Because it is written down, I think this is the code I typed and what followed:

sudo mv /root/.kde/share/apps/kppp/kppp.pid Trash
          [sudo] password for 'my userid':
          mv: cannot stat '/root/.kde/share/apps/kppp/kppp.pid': No such file or directory

Code was initiated as sudo, doesn't that mean root?
          I realize it is logical, since the error is attributed to root, that only root can fix it. How can the damage be remedied, if the system doesn't acknowledge the folder to exist, in response to a command generated by sudo? I'm not trying to intentionally do stupid things, although it may appear that way. I do want to get Kubuntu connected to the Internet. Can you help with that?

While permissions may not be the only problem, it appears to be the next hoop to jump through.....that is, if this error can somehow be repaired. There must be a way to do so.

Comment

does
            sudo ls /root/.kde/share/apps
            show a kppp folder (that would have you viewing it as root..
            if so sudo cd to it ..

the command returns the following on my machine
            Originally posted by output of: sudo ls /root/.kde/share/apps
            chris@void:~$ sudo ls /root/.kde/share/apps
            kconf_update kfileplaces RecentDocuments

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
              does
              sudo ls /root/.kde/share/apps
              show a kppp folder (that would have you viewing it as root..
              if so sudo cd to it ..

the command returns the following on my machine
              Originally posted by output of: sudo ls /root/.kde/share/apps
              chris@void:~$ sudo ls /root/.kde/share/apps
              kconf_update kfileplaces RecentDocuments
              Sorry for not replying sooner.

Code: sudo ls /root/.kde/share/apps ...returned
              drkonqi kconf_update kcookiejar khelpcenter kopete kppp kwallet

then Code: sudo cd kppp ...returned
              sudo: cd: command not found

^^was that correct?

Comment

Going back to your first post, at the end the message
                pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
                Using interface ppp0
                Connect: ppp0 <-> /dev/tty USB0
                PAP authentication failed
                Connection terminated.
                Exit.
                suggests that your password may be incorrect, (PAP authentication failed), or you may be using CHAP instead of PAP.

I tried KPPP with a PPP connection and couldn't get it to work, then read somewhere about pppoeconf
                Try this, connenct your cellphone and try this from a terminal
                Code:
                sudo pppoeconf
                This gives a text display that asks for the basics - name of provider, password, and if you want to connect on boot and if you want to connect now. After this you should be connected.

You can then use the commands (assuming you name your connection in pppoeconf 'verizon'
                Code:
                sudo pon verizon
                to connect
                Code:
                sudo poff verizon
                to disconnect
                at any other time - normally not needed if you connect at boot, but can be useful
                HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

kevinc, thanks for the suggestion. I tried it. Here's what happened.

Code: sudo pppoeconf ...returned

ALL DEVICES FOUND?
                  I found 4 ethernet devices
                  eth0
                  eth1
                  eth0:avahi
                  pan0

Are all you ethernet interfaces listed above? (If no, modconf will be started so you can load the card drivers manually)

<Yes> <No>

Okay. So first off, I don't believe I'm using ethernet to connect. I'm tethering cell phone. When I used to have HughesNet (satellite)--I thought that was ethernet connection. So right off, I have a dilema. I go with Yes (not having a clue).

Then I get this message:

SCANNING DEVICE

whereupon the system faithfully scanned each of the 4 interfaces twice I think.

Then this message:

NOT CONNECTED
                  Sorry. I scanned 4 interfaces, but the Access Concentrator of your provider did not respond. Please check your network and modem cables. Another reason for the scan failure may also be another running pppoe process which controls the modem.

So then I think...well maybe should have gone with No. So I try that and it won't let me say No. Reboot. Same thing. It won't let me say No. When I highlight No and press Enter, it just returns to Yes. May not have helped anyway but I'd like to try it..

Arghhh.. .....I intuitively feel the only way I'm going to get Kubuntu connecting my cell phone to internet is through the command line. Both Network Manager and KPPP are (probably) useless for me.

Comment

Sorry that it didn't work, but what you posted shows that you are not trying to connect to a ppp network.

pppoeconf looks for an access concentrator and connects to it very nicely.
                    The fact that it couldn't find one, means that your cellphone is using a different connection,
                    probably GPRS, EDGE, 3G or HSDPA.

Ubuntu gnome network manager does connect to the internet via cellphones and you can install that with Kubuntu.

see https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/interne...ng-mobile.html a general guide to mobile networking

also http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...izon+cellphone

Unfortunately, I found a couple of posts asking how to get Verizon cellphone to work with no replys, however, there are a number of howto's that should help

Comment

Originally posted by kevinc
                      Sorry that it didn't work, but what you posted shows that you are not trying to connect to a ppp network.

pppoeconf looks for an access concentrator and connects to it very nicely.
                      The fact that it couldn't find one, means that your cellphone is using a different connection,
                      probably GPRS, EDGE, 3G or HSDPA.

Ubuntu gnome network manager does connect to the internet via cellphones and you can install that with Kubuntu.

see https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/interne...ng-mobile.html a general guide to mobile networking

also http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...izon+cellphone

Unfortunately, I found a couple of posts asking how to get Verizon cellphone to work with no replys, however, there are a number of howto's that should help
                      Kevin, thanks for helping.
                      The first link you posted mentions a New Mobile Broadband Connection Wizard in Ubuntu. Don't have time now, will research this later. If I can get it (need code)--that might work.

I'm not clear about ppp and 3G. Think I have 3G but thought 3G connection could be established under PPP aps (see below). Anyway, using your second link, I attempted to install the Gnome-PPP client and this is what happened:

Code: sudo aptitude install gnome-ppp
                      (that returned a fairly long printout)

then
                      Code: sudo gnome-ppp
                      (that returned------Command not found)

In your second link, the suggestion is made to disable NetworkManager and it gives 4 codes to enter for that. (I didn't enter those codes as I am reluctant to make another sudo/root error....could you check those out?) It is under "4.Configure Gnome-PPP and Networking". Also in that section it tells how to connect Verizon cell phone. This is what it says:

"From a terminal execute
                      Code: sudo gnome-ppp

and a window should appear."

Well, as I said above, the window didn't appear because the system returns---Command not found. If I understand correctly, the link gives instructions how to connect verizon cell phone with 3G, under Gnome-PPP. I just can't get it to work.

Now, what did I do wrong?

The username for Verizon is in this format: 1234567890@vzw3g.com
                      leading me to believe, of the 4 connection interfaces you mentioned (GPRS, EDGE, 3G or HSDPA), I'm using 3G.

Comment

OK, it looks like you are heading in the right direction.

Kubuntu includes by default a program called network manager and an applet called network-manager-kde.
                        Before you can install the Gnome packages, you will probably have to remove the kde network managers
                        I actually installed as a dual boot Kubuntu and Ubuntu (both Jaunty) and found that Ubuntu was easier to connect to things like mobile phones and pppoe. Kubuntu connects easily to dhcp and simple wireless.

It may be the same thing with ppp, since you have kppp installed, I don't know if you can also have gnome ppp installed (just look at the package to see if one excludes the other).

try this
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp
                        if it replies that it can't because kppp is installed, then
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get remove kppp
                        sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp
                        this may list a number of dependencies and ask you if you want to install them all.

once you have gnome-ppp installed, I think it shouldn't be too difficult to configure

Comment

I'm wondering what is the difference between the "aptitude" code and the "apt-get" code...The first thing I did after looking at that 2nd link you posted was this:

Code: sudo aptitude install gnome-ppp
                          As mentioned in an above post, it returned rather lengthy printout. Did entering that mess things up?

(How would Code: sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp ...differ?)

So just now I ran:

Code: sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp
                          Returns: Unable to fetch some archives

I decide to ditch kppp because I don't think it will be any help:
                          Code: sudo apt-get remove kppp
                          It says kppp is removed

then Code: sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp
                          Still returns: Unable to fetch some archives

then, not really knowing what I'm doing, I try this anyway:
                          Code: sudo apt-get install gnome-network-manager
                          Returns: Cound not find package gnome-network-manager

Not sure this link will work. I found old instructions from 2005 that might help me, as the person is tethering a cell phone much like mine. Theirs is a LG VX6000, mine is LGVX4500.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/linux...Phone_Internet

They say with Ubuntu..... System > Administration > Networking will get the job done and they tell how to do it with an old version of Ubuntu.

Very frustrating.

Comment

when you did
                            did you have internet?

becos if you dident you cant apt-get eneything!.........well off the net eneyway.

is the phone the onley net acsess you have?

if you had net on the box when you did your apt-geting

sudo aptitude install gnome-ppp
                            As mentioned in an above post, it returned rather lengthy printout.
                            post the rather lengthy printout..............if not dont bother

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

This usually indicates your internet connection is not working, it could be your connection, or the ISP, or anything.

type
                              Code:
                              ifconfig
                              this will show you if you have lo, eth0, wlan0, maybe wmaster0

if not, then check your /etc/network/interfaces file and post that - it probably has some stuff from kppp that needs to be removed before a cable connection will work properly

see the first post from detonate http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

Comment

Working...
                              X