• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lucid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.4

Originally posted by Rog131
    Aren't those the "old style" logos?

The new design suggestions:
    http://jasmine.19inch.net/~jr/tmp/kubuntu-logos.png

I like the one with three gear pieces making up a full gear (3rd from the bottom), the old logo (ubuntu-with-gears) doesn't look good in small sizes.

Comment

I really hope KDE 4.4.2 is uploaded fol Lucid, I guess it will (but it will be out less than 4 weeks before the release)

I don't like the logos too much, but hey.

Plymouth here either doesn't start, or start too late an pops up for less than a second. I mainly get a black screen and a blinking cursor. I'll google a bit for a bug report.

[ Update: Here! https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...th/+bug/535108 ]

Thanks for the updates!

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
        Originally posted by Rog131
        Aren't those the "old style" logos?

The new design suggestions:
        http://jasmine.19inch.net/~jr/tmp/kubuntu-logos.png

I like the one with three gear pieces making up a full gear (3rd from the bottom), the old logo (ubuntu-with-gears) doesn't look good in small sizes.
        That one or the one just above it would be my choices.

Glad to see they were able to get a load splash for Kubuntu. I really didn't want a Kubuntu LTS having an Ubuntu splash. Yeah!

Comment

Kubuntu Meeting

> Kubuntu Meetings
          Date & Time: Monday March 29 23:00UTC TBD

Agenda

> Ubuntu IRC Logs >> ubuntu-meeting /2010/03/30/

[00:46] <Riddell> we could go with #8 for beta 2 and see what the feedback from the world is like
          [00:48] <JontheEchidna> maco: current consensus is to try #8 for beta2, and gauge reaction
          [img width=173 height=400]http://jasmine.19inch.net/~jr/tmp/kubuntu-logos.png[/img]

[00:54] <apachelogger> anyhow, that is implementation details
          [00:54] <apachelogger> I am all for switching to liberation
          [00:54] <apachelogger> dejavu is quite the crap if you ask me
          [00:54] <JontheEchidna> +1
          [00:54] <Riddell> liberation it is, if nuno likes it that's good enough for me
          [00:55] <Riddell> ciao yuriy_work
          [00:55] <Nightrose> same here
          [00:55] <Riddell> apachelogger wishes to tell us about Kubuntu/KOfficeUserReview
          [00:55] <Tm_T> Liberation is fine
          [00:55] <JontheEchidna> granted, I personally prefer droid, but I wouldn't push that as default
          [00:55] <apachelogger> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/KOfficeUserReview
          [00:55] <apachelogger> some time ago we came up with the idea of poking some of our users to evaluate KOffice and see where it is standing
          [00:56] <apachelogger> resulting in feedback upstream can hold on to, and so that we know how far away KO is from replacing ooo
          [00:57] <apachelogger> yeah, I just want everyone to think a bit about this and maybe come up with ideas on how to about this specifically
          [00:58] <apachelogger> I am quite sure that we will make the survey based on KO 2.2.0, so that should be sometime in may
          [00:58] <Riddell> apachelogger: I'd say time it with KOffice 2.2 release
          [00:58] <apachelogger> well, I suppose we should keep the survey open for at least a month
          [00:59] <apachelogger> to make sure we get enough input
          [00:59] <JontheEchidna> yeah
          [00:59] <apachelogger> also, I would think that it makes sense that each kubuntu member tries to do semi usability evaluations using their friends and families
          [00:59] <apachelogger> so that we not only get feedback from geeks
          [01:00] <JontheEchidna>
          [01:00] <rgreening> sounds good
          [01:00] <apachelogger> otherwise the wiki page pretty much states everything we came up with so far, so just have a look at it and think a bit about it
          [01:00] <ryanakca> I'm sure I could convince my dad to participate
          [01:00] <apachelogger> I'll start a thread on the ml sometime next week or so

[01:03] * apachelogger notes that even on high contrast displays he finds the current colors worse than oxygen default
          [01:03] <apachelogger> colors is amonst the first things I change after a new installation
          [01:04] <JontheEchidna> upstream Oxygen default: http://imagebin.ca/view/M5ubJE.html
          [01:04] <lex79> apachelogger: me too, and then I change the fonts
          [01:04] <apachelogger> yeah
          [01:05] <Riddell> let's go with upstream
          [01:05] <JontheEchidna> pasty white boy: http://imagebin.ca/view/HOPo2ll.html
          [01:05] <Tm_T> +1 for upstream
          [01:05] <neversfelde> +1 too
          [01:05] <lex79> +1
          [01:06] <Riddell> although I am mystified by their removal of the blue bars on active window decorations
          [01:06] <rgreening> +1 here
          [01:06] <Riddell> ryanakca had a question
          [01:06] <ryanakca> +1 for upstream here too

Update

> Meeting Minutes
          > Topic: First draft of new Kubuntu Branding
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

<Riddell> we could go with #8 for beta 2 and see what the feedback from the world is like
            Looks like I was able to influence the decision with my psychic cow powers (pending feedback from beta2 testers) :P

The "revamped" logo looks simple enough to also work as an icon (for kickoff/lancelot), if one is into such customization/branding

Comment

KDE SC 4.4.2

> KDE Software Compilation 4.4.2 Release Announcement

> KDE 4.4.2 Changelog

The Lucid repositories are updating

> March 2010 Archives

> Kubuntu announcements

Comment

The "revamped" logo looks simple enough to also work as an icon (for kickoff/lancelot), if one is into such customization/branding
                I might give that a try to see how it looks.

Comment

Binary removals

> ubuntu-devel-announce
                  > binary removals of unbuildable packages in lucid:
                  Steve Langasek
                  Sun Apr 4 00:50:11 BST 2010

At UDS in Dallas, it was proposed that we run a round of removals of those
                  binary packages in universe and multiverse from sources that fail to build in
                  lucid...

...After some discussion on ubuntu-devel[1], this has now been done. Attached
                  is the list of packages that were candidates for removal....

am-utils
                  am-utils-doc
                  anjsp
                  anki
                  apt-rpm-repository
                  arb
                  arb-common
                  arb-doc
                  axiom
                  axiom-databases
                  axiom-doc
                  axiom-graphics
                  axiom-graphics-data

Comment

Beta 2 candidate image testers needed

> kubuntu-devel
                    > Beta 2 candidate image testers needed
                    Jonathan Riddell
                    Tue Apr 6 12:14:09 BST 2010

Testing time again

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/build/kubuntu/all

We can't release until it's all tested, your help is needed.

Jonathan

Comment

Just as a matter of curiosity, I decided to see how many of the unbuildable packages listed for removal from Lucid are presently installed on my Karmic machine. I run what I think of as a fairly complete system for general desktop use including office work, web surfing, entertainment (games, music and video), and program maintenance in 5 languages. The total was astonishing: none!

In retrospect, this is exactly what I should have expected. I have actually installed only about 5% of the programs included the repos. The percentage of packages listed as unbuildable is substantially less than that. Therefore, the probabilities were strongly on my side. Nonetheless, I consider this to have been a worthwhile exercise. Many of the unbuildable packages seem to related to one another. So, if you find one package on the list that you use, you may well find another.

In addition, I found several interesting packages that I might install later, when they are repaired.

Comment

Unfortunately one of the one I use a lot is there: "xvnc4viewer". Oh well, I knew eventually that one would fall to the wayside. Surprisingly I noticed SAMBA4 was there. I wondered when they were going to take that one out. I never understood why that one has stayed so long.

Comment

Testers needed for plasma-widget-networkmanagement

(Earlier > Testers needed for plasma-widget-networkmanagement)

> kubuntu-devel >> testers needed for plasme-widget-networkmanagement (again)...‏:
                          Anthony Mercatante
                          Wed Apr 7 12:05:24 BST 2010

Hi,

The latest SVN revision for plasma-widget-networkmanagement has been
                          packaged and is available in the experimental kubuntu repository :
                          https://edge.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-...e/experimental

We actually need some feedback to decide it it will go in Lucid or not.

Among the fixes, the plasmoid is now in a separate package and conflicts
                          knetworkmanager. It won't require any kded manual start, and when the
                          package is installed simply reboot (or restart kde) to test the plasmoid.

VPN is supposed to work a lot better than with the current package.

Any feedback is of course welcome !

Anthony Mercatante

Comment

Before the B2

> About kubuntu-devel
                            >> Login and logout sounds:
                            Harald Sitter apachelogger
                            Wed Apr 7 21:47:55 BST 2010

Hai!

I just wanted to hear some opinions on the matter of login and logout sounds.

Problem as I experience it:
                            * Both the login and the logout sounds are far too long

Proposed solution:
                            * Change login sound to the old Kubuntu login sounds as seen in our KDE 3
                            releases
                            * Turn off logout sound completely

Justifications:
                            * Kubuntu login sounds is shorter and "more to the point", our competitors
                            (well, other than the other KDE distros mostly) have rather short sounds
                            whereas our feels very very very long
                            * I find logout sounds very useless and think there is no right logout sound,
                            other than silence + loading and playing the sound might actually delay logout

I probably should also talk to the oxygen people about this, but first I would
                            get some general feedback on this.

--
                            Harald Sitter
                            Kubuntu Core Developer

Comment

Beta 2

Official Announcements

> Lucid Lynx Beta2 Announcement

> Technical Overview
                              Note: This is a beta release. Do not install it on production machines. The final stable version will be released on April 29, 2010.
                              > Lucid Lynx Beta2 Kubuntu
                              NOTE: This is a beta (pre-) release. Pre-release versions of Lucid are NOT encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or for anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent, breakage. Pre-release versions ARE recommended for Kubuntu developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.' Please do not use this in a production environment with data or workflows that you cannot do without

It is out when ?

> Kubuntu.org News
                              >> Kubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 2 Available for Testing

Known Issues

The > Technical Overview and the > Lucid Lynx Beta2 Kubuntu has links to the the "Known Issues"

From the forums (Ubuntu&Kubuntu):

> Topic: Ureadahead memory issue
                              >> Bug #501715
                              > fsck freezes Lucid on boot
                              >> Bug #554079
                              > Broken Pipe
                              >> Bug #521298
                              > Topic: Fixing Really Ugly Plymouth When Using Proprietary Nvidia Driver
                              >> More Plymouth links
                              > Search more

Good advices

> The usual Pre-Release Development Warnings and Caveats
                              > Common Problems / Frequently Asked Questions About Testing

Bugs

> Reporting Bugs (Kubuntu)
                              > Reporting Bugs (Ubuntu)
                              > How to create useful crash reports
                              > KDE Bug Tracking System
                              > Kubuntu Forums Bug Links

Comment

Changelog

Changes from the Kubuntu 9.10 to Kubuntu 10.04 RC

What the Kubuntu desktop is installing:
                                Kubuntu Plasma Desktop system

This package depends on all of the packages in the Kubuntu desktop system. Installing this package will include the default Kubuntu Plasma Desktop installation.
                                > Karmic package: kubuntu-desktop (1.154)
                                > Lucid package: kubuntu-desktop (1.174)

What the Kubuntu restricted extras is installing:
                                Commonly used restricted packages for Kubuntu

This package depends on some commonly used packages in the Kubuntu multiverse repository.

Installing this package will pull in support for MP3 playback and decoding, Java runtime environment, Flash plugin, DVD playback, and LAME (to create compressed audio files).

Please note that this does not install libdvdcss2, and will not let you play encrypted DVDs. For more information, see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs

Please also note that packages from multiverse are restricted by copyright or legal issues in some countries. See http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/licensing for more information.
                                > Karmic package: kubuntu-restricted-extras (36)
                                > Lucid package: kubuntu-restricted-extras (39)

Both the kubuntu-desktop and the kubuntu-restricted-extras are > Metapackages:
                                ..These packages do not contain actual software, they simply depend on other packages to be installed...
                                The metapackages are depending and recommending other packages. The recommend package can be left to uninstalled or removed without harm.

Changes at the kubuntu-desktop (1.152 to 1.174) - Depends:
                                Removed:

- cups-driver-gutenprint
                                printer drivers for CUPS

- dragonplayer
                                Simple KDE 4 video player

- kubuntu-artwork-usplash
                                Kubuntu artwork for usplash

- sreadahead
                                Read required files in advance during boot

- usplash
                                Userspace bootsplash utility

Added:

+ plasma-desktop
                                The KDE plasma workspace for desktop and laptop computers
                                Recommends:
                                Removed:

- bluez-utils
                                Transitional package

- gcc
                                The GNU C compiler

- kde-icons-oxygen
                                Oxygen icon theme for KDE 4

- kdebluetooth
                                KDE Bluetooth Framework

- kipi-plugins
                                image manipulation/handling plugins for KIPI aware programs

- linux-headers-generic
                                Generic Linux kernel headers

- make
                                An utility for Directing compilation.

- plasma-widget-indicatordisplay
                                A Plasma applet to display indicators

- plasma-widget-kubuntu-qa-feedback
                                Plasma Widget for Kubuntu feedback questionnaire

- plasma-widget-googlecalendar
                                Plasma Widget for Google calendar

- plasma-widget-networkmanagement
                                Network Management widget for KDE4 Plasma

- speedcrunch
                                High precision calculator

- ttf-arphic-uming
                                "AR PL UMing" Chinese Unicode TrueType font collection Mingti style

- ttf-wqy-zenhei
                                "WenQuanYi Zen Hei" A Hei-Ti Style (sans-serif) Chinese font

- update-notifier-kde
                                Apt Status Applet

Added:

+ bluez
                                Bluetooth tools and daemons

+ bluez-alsa
                                Bluetooth audio support

+ dragonplayer
                                simple KDE 4 video player

+ freespacenotifier
                                KDE Daemon module for low disk space

+ kbluetooth
                                KDE Bluetooth Framework

+ kcalc
                                calculator for KDE 4

+ kcm-touchpad
                                Configuration module for laptop touchpad configuration

+ kubuntu-notification-helper
                                Kubuntu system notification helper

+ network-manager-kde
                                KDE system tray applet for controlling NetworkManager

+ oxygen-icon-theme
                                Oxygen icon theme

+ plasma-widget-kubuntu-feedback
                                Kubuntu feedback plasma widget

+ plasma-widget-message-indicator
                                A Plasma applet to display message indicators

+ plymouth-theme-kubuntu-logo
                                graphical boot animation and logger - kubuntu-logo theme

+ plymouth-x11
                                graphical boot animation and logger - X11 interface

+ pm-utils-powersave-policy
                                lightweight power saving policy when on battery

+ policykit-desktop-privileges
                                run common desktop actions without password

+ ttf-kacst-one
                                TrueType font designed for Arabic language

+ ttf-khmeros-core
                                KhmerOS Unicode fonts for the Khmer language of Cambodia

+ ttf-punjabi-fonts
                                Free TrueType fonts for the Punjabi language

+ ttf-takao-pgothic
                                Japanese TrueType font set, Takao P Gothic Font

+ ttf-wqy-microhei
                                A droid derived Sans-Seri style CJK font

Only for the i386

+ krdc [i386]
                                Remote Desktop Connection client for KDE 4

+ krfb [i386]
                                Desktop Sharing for KDE 4

+ ktimetracker [i386]
                                KDE time tracker tool

+ oxygen-icon-theme-complete [i386]
                                Oxygen icon theme
                                > Kubuntu-meta changelog 1.170

Changes at the kubuntu-restricted-extras (36 to 39):
                                Removed:

- libavcodec52
                                ffmpeg codec library

- libavformat52
                                ffmpeg file format library

- libpostproc51
                                ffmpeg video postprocessing library

- libswscale0
                                ffmpeg video scaling library

- sun-java6-jre
                                Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture independent files)

Added:

+ libavcodec-extra-52
                                ffmpeg codec library
                                > ubuntu-restricted-extras (39) changelog

Java

Earlier > Re: Lucid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.4 - Sun Java

The Sun Java is now in the Ubuntu Partner repositories. To install the Sun Java enable the Partner repositories.

K-Menu > Applications > System > Software Management (KPackageKit) > Settings > Edit Software Sources
                                or
                                K-Menu > System Settings > Add and Remove Software > Settings > Edit Software Sources
                                or
                                Alt+F2 and "kdesudo software-properties-kde"

"Other Software" tab.

[img width=400 height=284]http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3610/partnerz.png[/img]

and install the Sun Java:
                                Code:
                                sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-jre
                                The following extra packages will be installed:
                                sun-java6-bin
                                Suggested packages:
                                binfmt-support sun-java6-fonts ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-sazanami-gothic
                                ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-sazanami-mincho
                                The following NEW packages will be installed:
                                sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
                                The Sun Java needs the agreement of the Sun Java licence.

[img width=400 height=308]http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1460/licence.png[/img]

[img width=400 height=308]http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2484/termss.png[/img]

The tabulator key is used to select/enable the OK/Yes/No options.

The open choice (IcedTea) doesn't need those:
                                Code:
                                sudo apt-get install icedtea6-plugin openjdk-6-jre
                                The following extra packages will be installed:
                                ca-certificates-java icedtea-6-jre-cacao libaccess-bridge-java
                                libaccess-bridge-java-jni openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk-6-jre-lib
                                tzdata-java xulrunner-1.9.2
                                Suggested packages:
                                sun-java6-fonts ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-sazanami-mincho
                                ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-telugu-fonts ttf-oriya-fonts ttf-kannada-fonts
                                ttf-bengali-fonts
                                The following NEW packages will be installed:
                                ca-certificates-java icedtea-6-jre-cacao icedtea6-plugin
                                libaccess-bridge-java libaccess-bridge-java-jni openjdk-6-jre
                                openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk-6-jre-lib tzdata-java xulrunner-1.9.2

You could have more than one Java installed > Using the Debian alternatives system.

man update-alternatives
                                NAME
                                update-alternatives - maintain symbolic links determining default commands

SYNOPSIS
                                update-alternatives [options] command

DESCRIPTION

update-alternatives creates, removes, maintains and displays information about the symbolic links comprising the Debian alternatives system.

It is possible for several programs fulfilling the same or similar functions to be installed on a single system at the same time...

Commandline example:
                                Code:
                                sudo update-alternatives --config java
                                There are 2 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

Selection Path Priority Status
                                ------------------------------------------------------------
                                * 0 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java 1061 auto mode
                                1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java 1061 manual mode
                                2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java 63 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice(*), or type selection number:
                                With KDE gui:

Package: kalternatives
                                graphical alternatives system configuration tool
                                System Settings > Advanced > Alternatives Configuration

[img width=400 height=291]http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/7076/alternatives.png[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X