X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 9.10 Beta Available

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/9.10-beta
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Re: Kubuntu 9.10 Beta Available

Konqueror - Default web browser
    Arora - Available on the CD as an option
    Firefox - Installer included as an option

Should please everyone I suppose. At worst FF fans have to run the installer; piece of cake I'm sure.

Still, I think it would be nicer to put more dev resources into Konqueror as a serious competitor to FF. As for Arora, what's the point? I don't feel like I'm missing anything with FF and Konqueror.

Edit: Fix spelling of Arora
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

As for Aurora, what's the point? I don't feel like I'm missing anything with FF and Konqueror.
      I think Arora was included for those who want a browser build on Qt and not GTK, and without the bulk that is generally associated with Konqueror. I tried it out and every page with flash crashed, so I didn't bother doing any more exploration.
      Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

I believe that Arora (no U) is also significantly smaller than Ff. However, if that's the only criterion, you could probably save even more space by installing konqueror, ditching both Dolphin and Ff, and using Konq as a multi-purpose, file-manager, file viewer, and internet browser. That's what it was originally designed for.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
          installing konqueror, ditching both Dolphin and Ff, and using Konq as a multi-purpose, file-manager, file viewer, and internet browser. That's what it was originally designed for.
          And it does each rather well IMO.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am surprised that I'm unable to get the live CD to boot with the beta. I'm running 9.04 now and love it, and am looking ahead, hoping to stay with Kubuntu. I'm guessing it's my GeForce 6150 SE card that's the problem, though I'm not sure. I've tried safe graphics mode, various boot options, changing the VGA code, but no luck. I did get alpha 6 to boot briefly on a couple of random occasions. But it was rarely dependably bootable.

With 9.04, I booted the live cd (rc) with a simple selection of safe graphics mode, and later installed it as well as the appropriate nvidia driver. Any idea why safe graphics mode won't do the trick any more with 9.10? The recommended resolution is 1280x1024, 60Hz. I got the alpha 6 to boot once with vga=788 (800x600) and once with vga=794 (1280x1024). Nothing works yet on the beta.
            ~George
            Linux — leaping tall "Bill-dings" in a single bound!
            Linux user #347469

Comment

Ah, maybe that is why my karmic updates failed earlier today... the repositories are over loaded.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Besides depending on Qt only as pointed out by Finifly, it uses webkit under the hood. In short, webkit is a better khtml (the web engine behind Konqueror). Webkit was created by Apple on top of khtml, and the changes didn't come back in the form of an improved khtml, but as a separate Open Source project. I find this troubling, but I digress.

I would like to have webkit merged back into khtml (yes, by Apple), and Konqueror would make Arora redundant for us.

I like Konqueror as a Universal browser and Dolphin as a file browser. FF as a web browser. And I keep Opera around in case there is that occasional page that doesn't work on FF or Konqueror. Webkit could join the club for that

Comment

Webkit! Okay! I'll definitely try Arora in Karmic. I've always thought that Apple acted badly in that whole incident. If it weren't for the fact that their hardware is overpriced, and that you're almost completely locked in to their OS, I've always wanted to take a look at their software.

Comment

Working...
                  X