This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Karmic - Quassel or Konversation as default irc client

As Karmic Koala, soon to be Kubuntu 9.10, comes together, there are a few choices that have come up as KDE4 -based applications are becoming the norm and older aps are ported to the new platform.

Quassel became the default irc client in Jaunty as it was (more or less) the only kde4/qt4 app around, and its dev team has been very responsive to input from us and made quite a number of improvements from that input.

Konveration now has a usable KDE4 version, so the dev team is looking for input as to which client to use so any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
    Konversation
    0%
    Quassel
    0%

Re: For Karmic - Quassel or Konversation as default irc client

Neither.
    In my opinion there are too many IRC clients competing for drive space.

I am using Skype. Therefore, I do not use either of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by PJJ
      Neither.
      In my opinion there are too many IRC clients competing for drive space.

I am using Skype. Therefore, I do not use either of the above.
      We need to have one installed by default, it's the main way uses get real-time community support.

Comment

I don't use irc much, so I can't really vote on the poll, but I'd think the choice comes to (in descending order of importance):

1. choose the one that has less serious issues bugs at the time of release/freeze
        2. choose the one that is better translated
        3. choose the one that is more feature complete
        4. if cd space is limited (as it often is), choose the one that takes less space
        5. all things being equal, I'd choose konversation over quassel...just because konversation uses the kde libraries (quassel is pure qt, right?), and therefore should integrate better with other kde application (don't wish to take anything away from quassel devs, I think they have improved quassel a lot recently).

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
          5. all things being equal, I'd choose konversation over quassel...just because konversation uses the kde libraries (quassel is pure qt, right?), and therefore should integrate better with other kde application (don't wish to take anything away from quassel devs, I think they have improved quassel a lot recently).
          But quassel has Windows and Mac OS versions without the hoops of installing 'all of kde', so I would think it makes more sense to try and grab some of those users first by having quassel the default.

But I really don't use it very often at all, so no vote here as well.

Comment

If I recall, the Kopete guys are working on an IRC plugin. Personally I'd prefer to use that and have one application for all my IM requirements.

Comment

Konversation is my choice

Comment

The poll is closed?

Anyway I vote for Konversation. It is more than moderately user friendly, based on KDE3 experience. Quassel has some fancy infrastructure that I couldn't care less about. Who cares if I run a standalone core+client application if I cannot suppress join/part messages in high volume channels like #kubuntu? I need to scroll 1 page of join/part to come to every new message from a human being, which supposedly was the main point of interest. We seriously deserve something less geeky than that!

EDIT> forgot to mention I have never been close to testing KK development version, I just found this thread while searching kubuntuforum posts for a better irc client than *quassel*.

Comment

Originally posted by heinkel_111
                  The poll is closed?

Anyway I vote for Konversation. It is more than moderately user friendly, based on KDE3 experience. Quassel has some fancy infrastructure that I couldn't care less about. Who cares if I run a standalone core+client application if I cannot suppress join/part messages in high volume channels like #kubuntu? I need to scroll 1 page of join/part to come to every new message from a human being, which supposedly was the main point of interest. We seriously deserve something less geeky than that!

EDIT> forgot to mention I have never been close to testing KK development version, I just found this thread while searching kubuntuforum posts for a better irc client than *quassel*.
                  Using Quassel v0.5.1, right click while in a channel..

Right click menu->hide events

Click off which event you do not want to see (i.e. joins, parts, quits, mode changes) and set as default, viola!

Comment

Konversation! Has a decision been made?

Quassel, at least in Jaunty, felt like a monolithic application ... it's a ~50Mb download, and I really didn't see anything that Konversation hadn't given me a long time ago.

I also think that Kopete would be the thing to use if there was a good IRC plugin (and maybe add a Menu entry that calls Kopete in "IRC mode", whatever that means).

Comment

Somehow I've ended up using Quassel, I guess just because it was default and now all my auto-connects and such are set up in it. Konversation, being apparently lighter and more integrated with KDE itself, seems like the better choice as a default. For now though I'm still using Quassel with a part message saying "because Kopete doesn't have an IRC plugin anymore"

Comment

Working...
                      X