This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.04.2 Candidate ISO Images need testing

Fresh from the temple of KDE4, we have Hardy KDE3 ISO updates that need testing. Here's your chance. Details here:

http://www.kitterman.org/ScottK/2009...kubuntu_h.html

Re: Kubuntu 8.04.2 Candidate ISO Images need testing

Well, no one seems to be willing to test this out to help get this released

Some notes:
    • Scott Kitterman, one of Kubuntu's volunteer devs, had to get approval for a non-LTS version to get a point release (note no other derivative is getting this)
    • He also packaged 3.5.10 (with tons of help from a|wen), and had to get permission to get the packages into Hardy's updates repo (and not the usual unsupported backports repo)
    • He then had to push for the .2 release, finally, with a lot of help, getting permission from Ubuntu's Technical Board

I am extremely disappointed that no one from here has done any testing for this release.
    very surprised and dissapointed

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
      Well, no one seems to be willing to test this out to help get this released
      Some notes:
      • Scott Kitterman, one of Kubuntu's volunteer devs, had to get approval for a non-LTS version to get a point release (note no other derivative is getting this)
      • He also packaged 3.5.10 (with tons of help from a|wen), and had to get permission to get the packages into Hardy's updates repo (and not the usual unsupported backports repo)
      • He then had to push for the .2 release, finally, with a lot of help, getting permission from Ubuntu's Technical Board

I am extremely disappointed that no one from here has done any testing for this release.
      very surprised and dissapointed
      1. launchpad qa site seems to be the only place to download those ISOs, those I had a download rate less than 1kb/s for that site which takes me weeks do download a single ISO, I'm downloading every evening, I'll test once I've finished downloading them.

2. I have no experiences about the launchpad qa site and it seems difficult for a newbie to know how it works while most experienced qa do not want to test it. Anyway, I'll try if I can.

3. probably many kubuntu users have left kubuntu for some other distributions since intrepid, we had nothing to say about that. it's free world, isn't it.

Comment

Read the candidate_images_for_kubuntu_h link in kitterma's post. HH 8.04 was already a KDE 3.5.x release, that ultimately ended at 3.5.10. It's what I have installed as one of my three OS's. I guess I don't understand what 8.04.2 is offering. Can you clarify?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Read the candidate_images_for_kubuntu_h link in kitterma's post. HH 8.04 was already a KDE 3.5.x release, that ultimately ended at 3.5.10. It's what I have installed as one of my three OS's. I guess I don't understand what 8.04.2 is offering. Can you clarify?
          8.04.2 offers an ISO which when you install, you don't need to apt-get upgrade packages between Apr 2008 and Jan 2009, you only need to upgrade packages after Jan 2009.

8.04.2 vs 8.04.1 is just like installing Windows XP SP2 vs Windows XP SP1.

If new computers needs to install Kubuntu 8.04, the 8.04.2 CD might be a little more convenient.

All existing installations of Kubuntu 8.04 is already Kubuntu 8.04.2 now so they do not need to re-install.

Comment

If it is not too late I will try and have a look this week if that is any use. I can burn it off and use it at work for a test
            Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

ok tested the iso file..not easy though and ran straight into problems ...I assume I feedback there and not here?
              Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

8.04.2 is released. No more testing needing.

Comment

I absolutely don't know how I missed this whole deal, but I did. But I sure as the dickens wished I hadn't. Some things are better (subtle permissions issues to get 8.04 to run on a flash drive live/persistent), some unchanged (jinxed initrd.gz/casper/scripts setting), some are worse (HP printer, spontaneous un-mounting of USBs), etc. My old 8.04 won't go on the flash drive, 8.10 is just "not quite right" for me (desktop or flash drive), and so the 8.04.2 still has issues but is the best of the lot. >>> Many thanks to Scott for doing this. The rest is my fault.

btw
                  @pansz
                  All existing installations of Kubuntu 8.04 is already Kubuntu 8.04.2 now so they do not need to re-install.

-> I don't believe that for one second. Not on my machine.
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Apparently there were a whole raft of us users who didn't know (perhaps didn't expect) an actual point release. Just did a
                    Code:
                    lsb_release -a
                    and lo/behold:
                    Code:
                    john@john-laptop:~/MyVideos$ sudo lsb_release -a
                    No LSB modules are available.
                    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                    Description:  Ubuntu 8.04.2
                    Release:    8.04
                    Codename:    hardy
                    It's true. Was this announced somewhere? Don't want to sound like a dumb-***, but maybe there's some place I need to check more often?
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

I used the alternate CD, 8.04.2 yesterday to install to an older computer. No problems. Updates only took a couple of minutes. This computer is being set up for a family with no Linux experience, so I wanted a stable environment. Hardy with KDE 3.5.10 was my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                        ... Hardy with KDE 3.5.10 was my choice.
                        I'm loving that desktop!!
                        The next brick house on the left
                        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
                        X