This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.2 beta 1

Yesterday, Kubuntu announced the release of KDE 4.2 beta 1.

Instructions on how to upgrade and other details here:
    http://www.kubuntu.org/node/58

Re: KDE 4.2 beta 1

I had been using the nightly packages myself, and this really seems *much* stable.

PS: Also gives lancelot plasma by default \o/

Comment

Hm, unlike the NEON project it appears to want to override my current (stable) KDE - I reckon I am too much of a chicken to do that on a production system
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Agree. I should've added this here.
        Unlike neon, this would replace the current installation, plus, the config files.

Comment

Well, I've bitten the bullet and things seem quite nice.

A bit of a bummer is that there are no quick access widgets- I like to browse directories from the panel. Hopefully they will be back soon.

I did investigate whether the widget would be available within the package kdeplasma-addons. Very spookily A requirement of installing that package was the removal of Digikam (can't fathom that one out!).

Bluetooth doesn't appear to be fixed yet though

Comment

I'm holding off. I really want KDE4.2, but I need my Kopete MSN plugin working first. I've read that is still been omitted due to a "rewrite". I like what I'm hearing about Kwin being much faster, it needed that boost.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
              I'm holding off. I really want KDE4.2, but I need my Kopete MSN plugin working first. I've read that is still been omitted due to a "rewrite". I like what I'm hearing about Kwin being much faster, it needed that boost.
              You can do what I did: run Kopete and aMsn for now. The only downside is that session management can't remember aMsn was running, so you either have to start it manually every reboot or edit the startup files yourself.
              Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Right, I did it. After umpteen upgrades and dist-upgrades (I also lost kubuntu-desktop somewhere in the middle ) I am posting from KDE 4.2 on my production machine.

Kaffeine wasn't running, which is a showstopper for me as I need it for watching DVBT telly. Disabling the KDE 4.2 repo brought it back thankfully.

What is really puzzling me is the disappearance of the drop down folder view which was FANTASTIC! Lancelot is there, but that is not as important as the quick/drop down folder view

The new look KMail takes some getting used to .

Koffice is not compatible - shame. It'll come, though.

All in all this KDE4 stuff is like chasing the dragon 8)
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Tonights update has sorted out Kaffeine, Toad

Comment

Do they have improved Graphic Card control in KDE4.2? I'm willing to forgo Kopete not being MSN capable at the moment if they improved the graphic card capabilities.

Comment

No, the display section of system settings looks the same to me from here.

Comment

Thanks, Liquidator! Time to reactivate those repos...

Comment

Working...
                        X