This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4 future releases

Looks like KDE is planning to adopt a regular monthly/6 month release schedule on KDE4, with minor releases every month, and a major release every 6 months. Some predictability will probably help distributors to plan ahead.

KDE 4.1 should be due on July 2008.

Some planet KDE blog posts on the subject:
    http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/0...-at-july-2008/
    http://vizzzion.org/?blogentry=804

Re: KDE 4 future releases

From Schedules/KDE4/4.0 Release Schedule
    30 January 2008: Tagging 4.0.1
    06 February 2008: Releasing 4.0.1
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

KDE 4.0 is awesome enough (minus the bugs), I can't imagine what 4.1 will be like
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

So far, the only thing I like about it, is the Oxygen theme, and the Widgets.

That is not to say I hate it, but there is ONE problem with KDE4. The Panel. Everything is cool, but that Panel is ugly. The Kicker will be sorely missed.
        The answers are out there...

Comment

You will soon be able to modify the panel, just be patient

As to the way it looks, I like it, but whether-or-not it looks good depends on your theme (I use a slightly modified version of the Kore theme in my KDE 3.5.x session, and a similar color scheme in KDE 4.0, so it's right at home on my desktop).
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I do like what I see with KDE4 and can't wait until it is a little more polished, but it has messed with my 3.5.8 install some. I'll wait until HH is out and do a clean install then anyway. That would be best since this current install is several years old and has dist-upgrades galore applied to it.

Comment

More information on release schedule and plans
              http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/0...de-401-tagged/

Changelog for 4.0.1:
              http://www.kde.org/announcements/cha...4_0to4_0_1.php

Comment

Thanks Kubicle!

Comment

Originally posted by Monster_user
                  So far, the only thing I like about it, is the Oxygen theme, and the Widgets.

That is not to say I hate it, but there is ONE problem with KDE4. The Panel. Everything is cool, but that Panel is ugly. The Kicker will be sorely missed.
                  I didn't use KDE long enough to get attached to the Kicker, so I'm actually happy to see it go! Besides the KDE 4.1 Panel will be fully theme-able along with all of the Plasma widgets. You can already change the size and position in 4.0.2. So just be patient.

Comment

Yeah. I got to thinking about how KDE4 was then, and forgot this was about "future releases"...

I still can't stand to use KDE4 for more than an hour. I like the new Oxygen theme, but it is so slow, even with only the shadows enabled. Maybe it is just my Geforce 6800 128mb AGP, but it is painful without Compiz.

I can't stand to run most themed desktops without shadows around the windows. Konqueror needs more work. It is still slow compared to Konqi 3.

It will be nice when it is done.
                    The answers are out there...

Comment

Working...
                    X