This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Be Free With KDE 4.0!

I agree with that. Have only KDE4 apps appear while using KDE4 and only KDE3.5.8 apps appear while using KDE3.5.8. It can get confusing in the menus.

Comment

I personally don't have a problem with the KDE3 apps being included in the KDE4 menu, because there are still several KDE3 apps I use regularly that haven't yet been ported to KDE4 (such as K3b); the only way I can currently think of to accomplish such a task would be to dual-boot.
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Hey TG, you could always edit your kmenu and put all the kde4 apps into a folder, like "kde4"
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

How do I do that Fintan as I have never attempted to edit any menu's before. I have been trying to delete some of them via the menu editor in KDE4 but it doesn't seem to work as any apps that I deleted were still there when I went back into the Menu's after saving it!??

it would just make them look so much better if I could get rid of any where there was a KDE4 equivalent or any that I never use, just to 'tidy things up' (you know us women, we hate clutter!)

Can you talk me through doing this and do I do it in KDE3 or 4?

TG (b***** nuisance aren't I ?)

Comment

Well, I am not sure if the menu editor in kde4 is the best place to start.
            I would log in to kde3, right click on kmenu and choose edit. Make a new folder "kde4" and just move all the kde4 apps into that folder. Save and log back in to kde4. That is at least how I did it.
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for that Fintan will let you know how I get on! (You always make it sound very easy!)

TG

Comment

Why does KDE4 load apps set only for my Gnome sessions? I'm running Ubuntu, but recently decided to try KDE3, so I installed kde-desktop and have been using it for the past month or so. Today I decided to try KDE4, but when I login, it loads several apps that I have set to start in Gnome only.

Specifically, it's loading compiz, emerald, tilda and the mail-notification applet. I only use these in Gnome, and as far as tilda is concerned, I use yakuake in KDE3. So why is it loading tilda instead of yakuake? And is compiz loaded by default in KDE4? If so, how do I use the default theme for KDE4? I've tried killing emerald and/or compiz, but I'm still unable to use the KDE4 control panel to change themes. By default, the desktop effects doesn't seem to be enabled, even though compiz is running, and killing compiz/emerald doesn't allow me to enable it.

Anyone?

update: After figuring out that the command kwin --replace was loading the kde3 version of the file, I found the kde4 version at /usr/lib/kde4/bin/kwin and it seems to fix most of my problem. However, I still don't know why kde4 appears to be loading my gnome session, including avant-window-navigator, which I forgot to mention earlier.

Anyone know?

Comment

I just installed kde 4.02. I must say i like the look.
                  But i might be mistaken, or there are a lot of things missing witch were available in kde3:
                  - Network settings (in kde4 verry basic, kde3 give me a lot more options)
                  - In kde3 i could configure my taskbar to hide automatically. In Kde4 this option is
                  removed (or well hidden).
                  - No sound config options. (or very limited) They where there in kde3.
                  - and so on.....

In fact i got the impression that the system settings panel only gives me basic stuff. But the kde3 had a system admin option...

Can somebody please tell me that is am wrong and tell me where to find these options? It is quite annoying without these.

Comment

KDE 4 is total rewrite of KDE (Think it as separate desktop, not continuum of KDE 3.5)

KDE 4 is at the moment experimental (someone might call it beta).

There will be monthly upgrades: Topic: KDE 4 future releases
                    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090578.0

BUT

KDE 4.0.0 emergency FAQ
                    http://software-libre.rudd-o.com/KDE..._emergency_FAQ
                    Why can't I auto-hide/ resize the panel? Can I add a new panel?

Unfortunately, configuration of the Plasma Panel via the UI didn't make it in time for the 4.0 feature-freeze, but you can bet these features will be re-instated for 4.1.

Meanwhile:

HOW-TO: Kicker on KDE4
                    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=76539

More of KDE4

Kubuntu Forums > Kubuntu Discussion > Desktop Support > KDE Support

Topic: GUTSY KDE4 Tips and tricks
                    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090269.0

Topic: KDE 4 issues?
                    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091185.0

++ search with KDE4...

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
                      I'll be patient meanwhile i think i just leave kde3 on my system until i'm happy with kde 4.

Comment

Yes, thank you Rog131. That helps a lot!

However, I think that I'm gonna stick with kde3, for now, as well. I didn't realize that it was so incomplete, and would cause problems with kontact in kde3, as it seems to be doing for me.

Plus, I'm still unsure what to make of kde4, because it feels too much like using a kiosk, rather than a personal computer.

Comment

Okay, I now have a question concerning removing kde4. Let me begin by saying that I received an upgrade notice immediately after installing kde4-core, and I so I performed the upgrade, which replaced some of my current kde3 apps with their kde4 equivalents. (e.g. kate, kdestop, kdm, kfind, etc.) So, while removing kde4-core, I noticed that it did not remove everything, which I'm guessing is because some of the packages are needed for the upgraded apps. Now I'm left wondering if I should remove these apps, remove the kde4 source from the sources list, and then re-install them all, or just leave everything in place?

Comment

I've finally gave it KDE4 a try - nice stuff! I was blown away by how fast it loaded in comparison to KDE 3, and I have no complaints about KDE3's load times at all. Good stuff!! But unfortunately, it does feel look and feel incomplete. I realize it's still early in development, but I'm going to have to wait a while before I fully adopt it.

Comment

So, while removing kde4-core, I noticed that it did not remove everything, which I'm guessing is because some of the packages are needed for the upgraded apps. Now I'm left wondering if I should remove these apps, remove the kde4 source from the sources list, and then re-install them all, or just leave everything in place?
                              The easiest way: if it is working don't fix it !

But you can clean your system (remove kde4 packages). The problem is that sometimes packages from ppa repositories can get your package management confused:

Topic: problems trying to remove kde4
                              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091100.0
                              and
                              Topic: Trashed Kubuntu How can I get it back?
                              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090495.0

Solution is to remove all ppa packages and install clean packages from the ordinary repositories.

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I can say in one of my test environments I tried to remove that and then forced the removal of the others. Yes, the system broke. Remove the core is fine, but I wouldn't remove anything else. After I forced it, I could no longer get in KDE3.5.9 either.

Comment

Working...
                                X