Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MULTI BOOT] UEFI dual boot, where goes Grub?

I'm about to make an Asus laptop dual boot Win8.1 and Kubuntu 14.04.
    I've disabled the secure boot and can boot to a live session.
    While in the live session (it was 15.04) I used parted to split up the already existing D: drive.

During manual install I get the question where to install Grub, in the past I would've selected /sda.
    But reading all the instructions I can't realy get confirmation is that's still the case or if I should select the partition called efi (/sda1 on this machine).

Or is it I ended up in a wrong sort of install where this question shouldn't arise?

You want to boot that machine in the newer UEFI mode, right? not the older BIOS mode. So you want to be sure you (1) use the 64-bit version of Kubuntu, and (2) boot the Kubuntu installer DVD in UEFI mode: When you boot the PC with the Kubuntu installer DVD loaded, go into your UEFI firmware setup (your "BIOS" setup), and find the boot menu(s) (maybe a "boot override" menu), and select the entry corresponding to your Kubuntu DVD that indicates EFI or UEFI. Then you will be booted in UEFI mode and ready to install. One thing, though, that I am assuming and you should check: Make sure you have configured your UEFI firmware setup of your laptop (what we used to call your "BIOS" setup) so you have NOT selected the older CSM or BIOS mode booting; it must be set up for EFI/UEFI booting mode.

As to where to put GRUB in the Manual install, it really doesn't matter because the GRUB installer will put the GRUB boot files in the right place, which is /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu (where the special ESP partition is mounted at /boot/efi and is almost always sda1). Make sure your ESP at sda1 is set up properly: in 200-500 MB, FAT32, and the type is EF00 or esp or in GParted you set the "boot" flag on it and that sets it as the esp type.

UEFI for Kubuntu--simplified. And ... some dual-booting tips for Kubuntu
    Includes booting in UEFI mode
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post373198

Dual-booting Kubuntu on a Windows machine
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?65253

My PC build (with ASUS, configuring UEFI firmware, booting in UEFI mode, etc.)
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post368216 -->
    Configure UEFI (BIOS)
    Turn on the PC, at the POST press the key (F2) to enter UEFI(-BIOS).
    CSM (compatibility support module): set to Auto (default).
    Disable Secure Boot: Change to “Other O/S”, which disables Secure Boot for the ASUS UEFI.
    Disable Fast Boot.
    EDIT: Where to put GRUB? Just leave it at sda, for example -- it won't matter anyway. But do make sure your ESP at sda1 is visible in the partition list you see in the Manual screen.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Or is it I ended up in a wrong sort of install where this question shouldn't arise?
      No, you can be in the correct UEFI mode and Manual install and that question WILL arise anyway! No problem there. In UEFI mode, one simply ignores that question and you hope that the installer and GRUB will figure out how to use your existing ESP partition that shows up in the partition listing on your Manual screen. It will be labeled like "esp" or something recognizable. It is usually sda1, but in can be anything. Some Windows systems I've seen use sda2. In theory, it can be any sdxy. BUT, when you install Kubuntu, there should be only one ESP that shows up in the partition list, not two or three or whatever (in case you had set up two or three ESPs). That way, GRUB (the GRUB installer scripts) can find it and use it without any issue.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Qqmike, thanks for your comprehensive answer and instructions.
        So I've left the Grub destination to the default /sda and the install is presently running.

I'll be back with an update

Comment

OK.

When you re-boot into your new Kubuntu, to check if you are booted in UEFI mode, try these things -- which, you probably already know from your reading, but I'll drop it here just in case, and in case I'm away for awhile ...

run
          sudo efibootmgr -v
          and the output should clue you in (you should see BootOrder and your ubuntu should be first in that order, etc.)

check your ESP: open /boot/efi
          and you should see EFI/ubuntu
          and maybe four files in there? especially grubx64.efi, maybe shimx64.efi, maybe grub.cfg, maybe MokManager, etc.

/usr/lib/grub
          should show you some efi action, like x84_64-efi folder(s) (with modules, "mod" files), and maybe a x84_64-efi-signed folder, also

Comment

Yep, some 20 miutes later all was up & running, inclusive Win8.1.
            The lady will be happy to get her old DE back

This is a (hardly) used AsusX551C laptop of end 2013, even Win8 wasn't updated but Avast already showed 13 viruses.
            Most things are Intel except the Atheros WIFI but that started to work after the updates.

A little confusing for straight thinkers like me, there are two boot menus, the (first) one with the UEFI USB choice is the computer's own, NOT part of the Ubuntu or Grub family.

Thanks!

Comment

OK, and the checklist I gave--the three things--check out OK for EFI (while booted into Kubuntu)?

My wife has an ASUS laptop with 8.1 on it -- and I won't touch it! Actually, I could now with what I know, and a dual-boot could be set up, I feel confident of that. But, instead, I use this PC which I built, with an ASUS motherboard, and the ASUS UEFI firmware is absolutely great -- no complaints. So your ASUS should be fine w/UEFI issues.

Just curious ... You said UEFI USB boot choice ... what USB?

Comment

A little confusing for straight thinkers like me, there are two boot menus, the (first) one with the UEFI USB choice is the computer's own, NOT part of the Ubuntu or Grub family.
                I'm with you, I see what you mean -- yes, the Kubuntu installer USB. And, yes, I see that you meant when you entered the laptop's UEFI firmware boot menu(s).

Comment

The efibootmgr command does indeed list the three options in the order they show at boot.

Under /boot/efi/EFI I find:
                  /ASUS
                  /Boot
                  /Microsoft
                  /ubuntu

The last one has four files:
                  grub.cfg
                  grubx64.efi
                  MokManager.efi
                  shimx64.efi

/usr/lib/grub has two subdirectories,
                  /x86_64-efi has a load (260) of *.mod files.
                  /x86_64-efi-signed contains three *.signed files and a text file called version containing:
                  2.02-beta2-9ubuntu1.3

All is working fine, the girlfriend has always had a Kubuntu DE on her desktop and had use for a laptop.
                  It belonged to the mother of a friend, her mother couldn't handle it so we got it for ~$150.-
                  It's the first UEFI computer I've installed on and after getting the correct instructions it turned out very easy.

Comment

Looks good, it went well. Yes, lots of mod files, too - 260 here, also; I have the same signed grub version you listed. It all looks like it should (assuming it works OK ;-) ). The /Boot directory contains the "fallback" boot loader, I think Microsoft puts it there: if the ASUS firmware can't find anything to boot, it will check /EFI/BOOT/ for maybe a BOOTx64.efi or some-such to boot; sometimes, Microsoft puts its bootloader in that fallback spot. You can have a look and see what is there; likely it is Windows! You can put your GRUB there, for example, renaming it to the .efi file you see there: /EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi. And so on. Just to know it is a fallback option for your ASUS firmware. I don't have one, actually, but I could make one simply by ... making one! ... and putting grub or rEFInd there. (/EFI/BOOT is the same as /EFI/Boot because FAT32 is case in-sensitive.) Thanks for the feedback. This is a learning process for all of us. UEFI is still kind of new. Each system may be different, you never know until you look.

Comment

One more thing, the shimx64.efi is there if you use Secure Boot -- GRUB won't work directly because it is not "signed," so control is passed first to shimx64.efi (which is signed), and the shim then passes control to grubx64.efi (in the same directory /EFI/ubuntu). As Rod Smith, "the" expert, explains here:
                      http://askubuntu.com/questions/34236...64-and-shimx64
                      Just so you know sort of what's in your /EFI. And ASUS put something there, also, I see.

Comment

Working...
                      X