This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Refind not working with 15.04

Has anyone been able to directly boot the kernel stub loader using refind in 15.04? I can boot the OS fine using the default grubx64.efi entry, but if I try to directly boot the kernel it throws as initramfs error?

For 14.04, I can boot with EFI stub loader with no issues.
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 23, 2015, 07:37 PM.

I think I misread your post. We'll see ...
    In 14.04, I have rEFInd version 0.8.7 installed (so I installed it from 14.04 to the PC). Using it, I was able to boot INTO 15.04 by booting the kernel directly, two kernels tried and succeeded: vmlinuz-3.19.0-16-generic.signed and vmlinuz-3.19.0-15-generic.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I can't boot the kernel directly for 15.04. I can do it for 14.04.

To boot 15.04 I have to edit the grub.cfg file in the EFI partition to point directly to the 15.04 install

Comment

That's a little strange. rEFInd when booting that kernel directly doesn't even look in the ESP's EFI directory for any GRUB configuration file, grub.cfg. rEFInd just boots the vmlinuz file directly (using the built-in stub loader etc. in the kernel etc.). Now, if you use rEFInd to identify that ESP's subdirectory of the EFI directory and choose it as your boot choice, then, yes, the file /boot/efi/EFI/<whatever_named_ subdirectory>/grub.cfg WILL be consulted to see where to go next to find a full, main GRUB configuration grub.cfg file (usually located in some OS--probably 15.04 in this case--at /boot/grub/grub.cfg). That's the whole idea of booting by the stub loader: no need for GRUB, and thus, no need for GRUB's (possibly many and confusing) grub.cfg configurations files. When you see the rEFInd menu, do you not see any lines like vmlinuz-3.19.0-15-generic to choose from? You should see some!
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          That's a little strange. rEFInd when booting that kernel directly doesn't even look in the ESP's EFI directory for any GRUB configuration file, grub.cfg. rEFInd just boots the vmlinuz file directly (using the built-in stub loader etc. in the kernel etc.). Now, if you use rEFInd to identify that ESP's subdirectory of the EFI directory and choose it as your boot choice, then, yes, the file /boot/efi/EFI/<whatever_named_ subdirectory>/grub.cfg WILL be consulted to see where to go next to find a full, main GRUB configuration grub.cfg file (usually located in some OS--probably 15.04 in this case--at /boot/grub/grub.cfg). That's the whole idea of booting by the stub loader: no need for GRUB, and thus, no need for GRUB's (possibly many and confusing) grub.cfg configurations files. When you see the rEFInd menu, do you not see any lines like vmlinuz-3.19.0-15-generic to choose from? You should see some!
          Yes that's it. I can use refind to boot 14.04 (specifically Mint 17) directly via the stubloader. However, booting kubuntu 15.04 by this method fails, and i get an initramfs prompt. To boot 15.04, I need to point refind to the EFI partition which then boots the 15.04 grub from that install's directory.

It should be noted that my installs are using btrfs subvolumes. I could have multiple 14.04 installs (Kubuntu, Mint Cinnamon, Mint XFCE) in different subvolumes with different names and use refind to choose which kernel to boot. Something about 15.04 makes the stub loading impossible.

Comment

Interesting, yes. My partitions are all ext4 (and FAT32 ESP, of course). Everything is working fine here. You can send an email to Rod Smith, maybe something about the btrfs.

Comment

Figured out the issue. Needed to create a refind_linux.conf file the subvolumes /boot directory. The file needed the appropriate kernel options to be passed to the kernel loader.

Comment

Ah, yes, good catch there, glad you got it, and something to remember.

Comment

Rod includes information on Btrfs here: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/drivers.html. Check the paragraph describing Btrfs drivers.

Comment

By the way, the required rEFInd boot options may vary from distro to distro. For example, Rod specifies adding the option:

rootflags=subvol=@

to refind_linux.conf, however, on Fedora 22 that produces a file not found error. The proper option for Fedora is:

rootflags=subvol=root

The kernel options in the normal GRUB2 boot stanza will contain the proper syntax for the rootflags= statement for refind_linux.conf on your distro.

Comment

Working...
                    X