This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MULTI BOOT] New Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H with UEFI won't boot Linux

I upgraded my system with a new motherboard and new i5 Intel CPU. Windows boots and I had to reactivate it. But my system was dual boot with Kubuntu 14.04 and now that won't boot. It says it can't find the UUID that grub is asking for. I tried booting a live CD/DVD version and it drops into the initramfs command prompt. I have tried Lubuntu and Puppy linux and get the same problem. In the BIOS settings I can't find anything labeled "Secure Boot" so I don't know how to disable it even if that would help. I have emailed Gigabyte support and their only reaction is that they "don't support third-party OS's." A lot of help that is. Has anyone gotten this motherboard to work with linux or should I get another brand? ASUS, MSI? which ones are socket 1150 and run linux?

is it a UEFI MB ,,,,,,if not their is no "secure boot" if it IS UEFI then their is that option and you do need to disable it , ,,,,, it may be called something elce in the settings ,,call back and ask.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by SteveTaylor View Post
      I upgraded my system with a new motherboard and new i5 Intel CPU... Kubuntu 14.04 ... won't boot. It says it can't find the UUID that grub is asking for...
      If that really is your problem, you can treat it as a Grub problem, and there's several boot disc tools like "Super Grub2 Disk" or "SystemRescueCD" which will help you fix it. A grub 2 expert might be able to diagnose your problem from the grub prompt (type a c in grub, then start with "ls").

However, there's no reason that the UUID of the partition with Kubuntu would have changed; it sounds like grub is not seeing that partition. Is Kubuntu on the same disc as Windows? If not, check carefully the cables to Kubuntu's disc.

I changed a motherboard under Kubuntu once, Jaunty or Karmic I think, and could not get sound to work, despite the earnest efforts of the good folks here. A reinstall was needed to get back sound.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        is it a UEFI MB ,,,,,,if not their is no "secure boot" if it IS UEFI then their is that option and you do need to disable it , ,,,,, it may be called something elce in the settings ,,call back and ask.

VINNY
        Actually, I have found the "Secure Boot" control. It was under a section for Windows 8. If you tell it you are using something other than Win 8, the secure boot option doesn't show up. When you select Win 8, then it does. I have been busy lately and haven't been able to get back to this. Maybe later today or tomorrow, then I'll give it a try.

If that doesn't work, I'm on to the Grub2 technique.

Thanks,
        Steve

Comment

I took a different route.

I decided to just wipe the disk and reinstall Windows 7 all by itself. There were just too many weird things happening. I have another computer with just Linux and another dual boot with Windows and Linux.

Comment

Working...
          X