This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move Win8 install from netbook to a VM?

Didn't know where else to post this.....

I bought a Win8 netbook some time ago and replaced the HD with an SSD on which I installed Linux. I seldom use Windows other than for one low-volume app that will likely never get ported. For that I run a VM on Linux. Any way to move the Win8 installation from the HD that came with this little netbook machine to a VM? That way I can have my cake and eat it too, as the disk with the Win8 installation that I paid for is just sitting on a shelf. It has never even been registered.

Thanks.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Definitelty possible - what VM Host would you be using? KVM via virt-manager is very good, if a little clunky looking. Virtual box is excellent as well.

In general, you'll take a disk image of your Win8 disk and import it into a VM. The details will depend on what VM manager you go with.

Comment

VMWare Player.

I have heard that manufacturer installed Win8 checks the machine's BIOS for the authenticity check. VM's ordinarily don't provide that. Does importing the existing disk image of the install do that too?

Thanks.

Frank.

Comment

Blackpaw:

I'd like to try what you suggest, but I need some guidance. Can you point me to something that will show me how to create a VM from the image on disk?

As mentioned, I usually use VMWare Player.

Thanks.

Frank.

Comment

Working...
        X