This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STEVE how would you DO this...UEFI

Lesson: if you have a UEFI machine, and you like to run the latest kernels, remember to keep a 3.7 kernel around. You'll need this whenever you want to modify your UEFI NVRAM variables.

OK I am just out of the loop, being way too old...

but

a) Say I get a really pretty tower...
    b) it is empty or has junk in it...
    c) HOW.....would I go to a "computer NOT BEST BUY place" and ask for a motherboard to put in the box..."

in terms of...

what words would I say at Best Buy or New EGG to get a mobo that I could "just install Kubuntu on"...

please forgive my lack of politeness to my infinitives.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Looking online, Best Buy carries plenty of motherboards. You could ask for a Gigabyte AMD board. many of the AM3 ansd AM3+-based MB's still have traditional BIOSes with UEFI "enhancements" like support for 3+ TB disks. I've been looking into upgrading my machine to an AMD-based for a little while so I have an ldea of whats' there.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Actually, I wouldn't worry about this anymore. Instead, I'd simply add the new kernel boot parameter efi_no_storage_paranoia when booting the installer ISO, and then add it again to /etc/default/grub after the installation finishes.

See post #6 in http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?62470

Comment

As long as it doesn't have the broken Samsung bit...

Comment

The fix has landed in raring-proposed.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1173423

I just tested it for Joseph and I can add additional NVRAM variables now without error. The update will move out of -proposed and into raring-updates soon.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Actually, I wouldn't worry about this anymore. Instead, I'd simply add the new kernel boot parameter efi_no_storage_paranoia when booting the installer ISO, and then add it again to /etc/default/grub after the installation finishes.

See post #6 in http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?62470
            I tried the efi_no_storage_paranoia boot and it didn't work for me. I had to install kubuntu thru legacy bios (w/ 200MB fat32 partition at the front), update the kernel to the patched "js" 3.8.0-27, then boot into my "boot-repair-disk-64bit" usb key and change grub over to grub-efi.
            I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Hm, interesting. I wonder if the code for that new parameter didn't make it into the various Ubuntu kernels, or at least into the kernels included in the .ISO images.

Comment

My iso was downloaded 7/24/13, so almost 2mos after you posted the code. Go figure... I got it working and reused my /home disk, but ended up re-installing Kubuntu. It works, that's all that matters to me. That, and remembering what I did.
                I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Working...
                X