This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More in the series of bizarre UEFI bugs

More from RH's EUFI expert, Matthew Garrett.

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/20187.html

A (well, now former) coworker let me know about a problem he was having with a Lenovo Thinkcentre M92p. It booted Fedora UEFI install media fine, but after an apparently successful installation refused to boot. UEFI installs on Windows worked perfectly.
    Every UEFI boot entry has a descriptive string. This is used by the firmware when it's presenting a menu to users - instead of "Hard drive 0" and "USB drive 3", the firmware can list "Windows Boot Manager" and "Fedora Linux". There's no reason at all for the firmware to be parsing these strings. But the evidence seemed pretty strong - given two identical boot entries, one saying "Windows Boot Manager" and one not, only the first would work. At this point I downloaded a copy of the firmware and started poking at it. Turns out that yes, actually, there is a function that compares the descriptive string against "Windows Boot Manager" and appears to return an error if it doesn't match. What's stranger is that it also checks for "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" and lets that one work as well.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Hmm, maybe I'm being cynical and / or paranoid here but that sounds less like a bug and more like a deliberate 'feature'.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Lenovo loves you!

https://twitter.com/lenovo/status/268962425917816832

Comment

Working...
      X