X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assistance installing Kubuntu on no OS computer with Gigabyte UEFI MoBo

Hello all,
    I recently bought a Zoostorm computer with no installed operating system and thought it was pretty reasonable specs for the price.My intention was to install Kubuntu 12.04.I did my normal installation when installing,of partitioning the 750Gb drive with,in this case,8Gb swap,20Gb root and remainder as home.I then went on to the install from Kubuntu live cd and found that upon getting a fews windows into the install process,the computer just hung with blocks and artifacts on the window.The only way out of this was a hard power down.Having tried a few more times I tried another couple of reburned live cds, both 64 bit and 32 bit with the same result.It was at this point,belatedly, that it finally dawned on me that I was dealing with an UEFI motherboard. No matter what I have tried I cannot get past the first few windows of the live cd install process.I have tried altering a few bios settings,but I emphasise that I am not very familiar with changing these settings, and still get the same result.When I re-examined the advert for this computer and I could find no mention of UEFI in it. The specs of the machine are:

- Intel Pentium Dual Core G840 2.8GHz
    - 8GB RAM + 750GB HDD
    - DVD Writer
    - Intel HD
    - No Operating System and the relevant part,the motherboard is gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV.
    If some one has successfully installed Kubuntu on a computer with similar specs especially the MoBo, i would very much appreciate if they could advise me of what settings they altered in BIOS to achieve this as I am going very wrong somewhere obviously and they would save the remnants of my hair.I appreciate,in anticipation, any kind soul's help with this, Regards to all, weg43

A couple quick google searches brought up some threads about your motherboard and linux. Didnt read anything about install problems. Have you tried another OS like Ubuntu or Mint? How did you partition the disk? At what window exactly does your installation hang?

Comment

Go into the BIOS and check if it has a UEFI boot setting. If it does, then go over to http://www.kubuntuforums.net/forumdi...EFI-assistance
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sounds like you bought the exact same computer that I bought a month or so ago, only difference being that I added a 120GB SSD to mine.

I didn't encounter any problems like you describe... you might try going into the firmware settings and changing the memory timing from the default 'turbo' to 'normal'. If that doesn't help, I'd recommend running memtest just to make sure the RAM is ok.
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks to all who responded to my post in which I omitted that I partitioned the 750 Gb drive using Gparted and re-iterating as 8GB Swap,20Gb Root and Remainder as home.

What the funk

"A couple quick google searches brought up some threads about your motherboard and linux. Didnt read anything about install problems. Have you tried another OS like Ubuntu or Mint? How did you partition the disk? At what window exactly does your installation hang? "

I have tried tried the following live cds;

Ubuntu 32bit and 64 bit and in both cases,when loading, they sometimes only get through the splash screen sequence with the 5 dots under ubuntu logo running 3 or 4 times and then the computer hangs with a few scattered "blocks"on the hung window and it auto powers down and restarts to go through the same sequence again.That's as far as I get.
          With Kubuntu 32 bit and 64 bit I have had the same as above,but on a couple of occasions I got further,through to the install process language screen,partiition screen and then the computer again hangs with a lot of blocks in lines,5 or 6 vertical rows and I have to hard power down.
          I have also tried Mint 13 "Maya" 32 bit from a flash drive with the exact same results as the latter.

Snowhog

"Go into the BIOS and check if it has a UEFI boot setting. If it does, then go over to http://www.kubuntuforums.net/forumdi...EFI-assistance"

When the bios logo flashes up it shows "dual UEFI bios."

HalationEffect

"Sounds like you bought the exact same computer that I bought a month or so ago, only difference being that I added a 120GB SSD to mine.

I didn't encounter any problems like you describe... you might try going into the firmware settings and changing the memory timing from the default 'turbo' to 'normal'. If that doesn't help, I'd recommend running memtest just to make sure the RAM is ok."

HalationEffect

I have now found your post "Seeking hints & tips for new PC setup" and very interesting it is too.When you are advised to disable the secure boot the question is,for me,how?

Now after a late night session trying various distros and again tearing out yet more of my thinning pate I have now managed,unbelievably, to get one distro installed and that is PCLinux 32 bit.Good though it is and in my humble opinion it is good,I would prefer to get Kubuntu installed.
          The question is what have I done that enabled me to install one distro and I can't get close to getting the one,Kubuntu,I want installed.
          It is blatantly obvious that,at this point,for me,anything to do with UEFI might as well be written in Outer Mongolian.

One final point in this long and rambling post,I have now noticed a few times when starting up ubuntu or kubuntu live cds prior to the boot loader screen the following; "Error,prefix isn't set," but I am not sure of the relevance of this.

I thank you all for your patience and perserverance.I really appreciate your assistance, weg43

Comment

When you are advised to disable the secure boot the question is,for me,how?
            Turned out to be a non-issue. Although the GA-H61M-S2PV has UEFI firmware, it doesn't support Secure Boot.
            sigpic
            "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

I've seen some documented steps for installing in BIOS mode and then converting to UEFI mode after installation. When I have an opportunity with some time in front of a real PC, I'll find something for you. (Been traveling and only using my phone to keep up with KFN.)

Comment

Check my new thread: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?59544

Comment

Hello Again,

HalationEffect Thanks for the Info that although the GA-H61M-S2PV has UEFI firmware, it doesn't support Secure Boot.

SteveRiley Thanks to you too for providing the information and links.I have read through the "askubuntu" thread and many others including Rod Smith's informative articles http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/ and to be frank,there are too many if's and but's for me and far too many hurdles where someone with my meagre knowledge can fall and not get up again.I have also suspected,that in my case,with the computer I received,there is some as yet unidentified hardware issue which I have not,as yet pinpointed but having foolishly perhaps,embarked on partitioning the drive almost as soon as I unboxed and powered it up,it was too late from that point to return it.I also did not say that this computer is a gift for an old friend whom I introduced to LInux a few years ago and is delighted with it's ease of use,security etc., as WE all know,and uses it ,as many do,only,for his shopping,emails,staying in touch with Grandkids etc.
                  And so,as I have previously said,I have managed to get another Distro running well and at this point,I think I will cut and run as the saying goes and leave it to those more competent than I,which wouldn't take much,too wrestle with Windblows latest scheme for world computer domination.
                  Once again,thanks to all who responded,I wish you all well, weg43

Comment

Working...
                  X