This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird dimming issues

While visiting my dad's place this week, I had to do some work on his PC, and while there I noticed that it was behaving oddly in a way I've never seen before. Depending on which window I had open, the screen would either get brighter, or it'd get dimmer. If I opened a console window, it got really dim. Certain dialogs made it get brighter or dimmer too. It was like there were specific brightness settings depending on what window or program you had focus on. Has anyone seen anything like that before? I looked at his power and brightness settings, but they matched my own system settings, and I don't see that same behavior, despite having identical settings. Any ideas on why his system might be doing that?

My old android phone does that sometimes.

You say PC, is that a separate monitor? Some screens have brightness set to "automatic", which might be playing up. If the screen is sensitive to ambient light, and light from what's displayed is getting to the sensor, the overcorrection would do that. You might check for something reflective near the bottom of the monitor.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Nope, it's an old Asus monitor. Classic 17". The more I'm thinking about things, the more I'm wondering if the blur feature in the desktop effects might be acting up. Might have to try turning that on and off again the next time I'm at his place. That seems like the most likely answer.

Comment

Working...
      X