X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kargos

Anyone familiar with it?
    I just discovered it, I find it absolutely brilliant. It lets you put text in your systray.
    I used it to show the VPN server I was connected too (abbreviated). The "command" to display was cat thistext.txt. Every 4 seconds - can be configured. The .txt was written to by the connection script after connecting.
    Now I don't use that one, and the one I use already does that... I was just thinking of some clever use for it.
    I use ping -c 1 1.1.1.1 | awk '/rtt/ {print substr($4,0,7)}' - every 10 seconds. :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0829_101556.png
Views:	1
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	649766
    181.022 is (was at screenshot) my current ping time to Cloudflare.

I suggest:
    1) Try it :-)
    2) If you can think of clever uses for it, please share.

I saw this a number of years ago, but for me, I could not find a use for it. But I keep a widget-free desktop these days, and a compact minimal panel setup.But I like having a broad set of tools available, even if I never use them all myself

Comment

My desktop only has the conky (I'm a control freak ;-) a pretty analog clock and the wallpaper of Earth with real-time clouds.
      The tray... until it gets to the (Latte) dock, is not "in the way", so...

I now made a little script that pings various servers at 10 seconds intervals and displays the times there.
      It looks a bit like a stock ticker tape thing, except it doesn't scroll, it alternates. It's kind of cute, and almost useful.. If anyone wants it, I'll post it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0829_150816.png
Views:	1
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	645200

[EDIT] Actually, I could easily stick that in the conky... I guess I will when I find something better to put in the tray :?)
      Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Aug 29, 2021, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
        Anyone familiar with it?
        I use ping -c 1 1.1.1.1 | awk '/rtt/ {print substr($4,0,7)}' - every 10 seconds. :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9518[/ATTACH]
        181.022 is (was at screenshot) my current ping time to Cloudflare.

I tried this, but I got a constantly rotating two number reference. I set the intervals to 10 seconds, but they still rotated several times per second. What do the two numbers represent? Any idea why the 10 second interval may not have been respected?

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]9518[/ATTACH]
          Don, what is that minimalist weather widget you are using. I have looked but failed to find it.

Comment

Working...
          X