This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] deja-dup and permissions

Learning to do backups all proper like, which as you guys likely know, I am still a babe in the woods when it comes to Linux.

I'm attempting to back up my home folder to a usb drive using deja-dup and it keeps failing with this error:

Code:
    Giving up after 5 attempts. Error: Error opening file ?/media/hoo/buhome/k-home/duplicity-full.20210712T061411Z.vol1.difftar.gpg?: Permission denied

Here are the permissions for the folder, which I clumsily changed with chmod. (don't remember exactly what I fed it)
    Code:
    drwxrwxr-x 1 root root  0 Jul 11 12:53 k-home

How do I make it go?

Click image for larger version

Name:	pakled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	649760

To the best of my understanding, the /media directory is owned by root and the "other" group permissions are defaulted to "execute" but not write. You should be able to write to /media, and by extension your named subdirectory, using sudo. I use an rsync based backup with sudo to write to backup drives mounted to /media/<name> on attachment to USB.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

deja-dup doesn't seem to play well with sudo.

So I changed the owner of the folder from root to $USER and it worked.

I found the answer here: https://itectec.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-fi...ission-denied/

Comment

Working...
      X