This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] The List

Is there a list somewhere of applications that can be safely uninstalled from Kubuntu?

I'd like to get rid of stuff I don't need, for example Wacom tablet drivers.

But I'm really not sure if doing so will break something else.

Is there a list somewhere of apps that if removed, won't break something else?
    Last edited by TwoFistedJustice; Jul 03, 2022, 02:10 PM.

No, as everyone's system and needs are different. For example, I can't remove xserver-xorg-input-wacom as I'd lose my touchscreen, as would the vast majority of those with them. Some would lose their laptop touchpads, I think.
    Now, on my PC, I could remove the wacom, and it's companion library packages, no problem. I'd save a whopping 1mb of disk space, give or take. As unused driver modules are not loaded by the kernel, there is no resource savings to be gained.

It is easy enough to do a dry run when uninstalling a package, to see what would be removed along with it, but won't tell you what might cause your desktop to not load.
    Then again, it would not be hard to reinstall the removed bits if this did occur,

Comment

I've begun installing Kubuntu as "minimal install" and add what I normally use.
      Linux User #454271

Comment

Actually, if you have done a full install, there is a list of packages on the Kubuntu disk that are actually removed to make it a Minimal. This might be useful, but it won't have any lower level items such as the Wacom driver packages, but does have things one might miss if trying to trim things down.
        On the disk or iso, look at /casper/filesystem.manifest-minimal-remove

This is why doing a minimal 'install' actually takes a bit longer than a normal one

Comment

Working...
        X