This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Okular

I was having a problem starting 'okular': the header menu wasn't showing up and I didn't know how to get it. That's the File .. Edit menu that appears when you start most programs. Without that menu you can't print, save, or switch to another file. I think most people who saw my post about the problem had no idea what I was talking about because they always got the header menu no matter what they did. Now I always get it too. I more recently saw a post that suggested right-clicking on some empty part of the okular window, and that seemed to bring it up if is wasn't already there. But I still have to ask: what determines whether or not you see that menu when you start okular?

Starting Okular

I'm running Kubuntu 18.04. I was having a problem starting okular because when it came up I didn't see the usual File .. Edit header menu. As a result I couldn't save, switch files, or do any of the other things you can normally do from that menu. That happened even when I specified a file to look at when I invoked the command. Most people had no idea what I was talking about because they were getting the header menu on startup without taking any special action. Now I too get the header menu automatically. Apparently the way to get it if you don't already have it is to right-click on some empty part of the okular window. So why this odd behavior?

Comment

In my experience, if it was displayed when you exited or Quit Okular, it will display when you restart Okular. If it was not displayed when you exit or Quit Okular, then it will not display when you restart Okular. As such, it's likely a setting kept in some config file, but I don't know where.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

ctrl-m will show/hide the menus in most KDE applications.
        Dunno why you don't have the menus.

If this does not work, you might try closing the program, deleting your config file ~/.config/okularrc, and re-opening it to see if things are back to normal.
        (or edit the file to remove the line MenuBar=Disabled)

Comment

In KDE it's usually called the "menu bar". Firefox calls it that, too. "Header menu" only confused me, and I'm not surprised you say other people "had no idea what I was talking about".

If you press ctrl-m to get the menu bar, and the next time okular starts the menu bar is off, this suggests a problem with the okular settings file ~/.config/okularrc. I suggest checking that file's ownership; it it's owned by root then okular can't write the setting change. Otherwise, it might be screwy in some way, and you could try deleting it.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
          X