X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I can't dance, but ...

it was bound to happen sooner or later.
    What?
    Robots that dance much better than I do!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I HAVE to believe that this is a really good CGI video! If we really had robots with this kind of fluid mobility, we'd be incredibly far along development than I believe we are! Still, this is quite entertaining!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

GreyGeek, what a coincidence. I just posted this for a (Korean) dance team (of 6 pretty, sexy, 30-something gals) that I hang out with on YT (they call me their "dance analyst"). However they made this clip, you can see some good moves, steps, and even some so-called arm-styling! Entertaining! They had a choreographer helping out here.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        I HAVE to believe that this is a really good CGI video! If we really had robots with this kind of fluid mobility, we'd be incredibly far along development than I believe we are! Still, this is quite entertaining!
        I read the original story here and in it are links to other videos showing similar moves. They can put tags on a human dancer, video the dance to create motion equations and writing the code equivalent of that motion into the "brain" of the robots. I suspect that AI adds to the fluidity. After a little DDG'ing I found the Boston Dynamics channel on YT and they had posted that video on Dec 29th, 2020. Also, there are other videos on their channel demonstrating amazing robot agility. So, I'm betting that it is not CGI but a real performance by programmed robots. On their channel are other videos showing a person using a hockey stick to knock a box out of a robot's hands, shoving the robot and also knocking it down. Meanwhile, it relentless tries to complete the tasks assigned to it.

In 2014 a TED talk demonstrated a bionic attachment that allowed a dancer to resume dancing. The relevant part starts at 15 minutes into the video.

There is another PRANK video showing a BD robot with a firearm trying to hit targets while the nearby humans shove it, knock it over, jump in front of the gun, all supposedly trying to prove how safe a gun carrying robot is. Suddenly, the robot goes berserk and begins shooting close to the humans, picks up a robot dog it was supposed to shoot and then runs away. It's a hoot.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X