This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M.S. Teams on Kubuntu

This will be thankfully, for most readers who know the old woodsmoker...short.

If the gentle reader is being forced to do more and more stuff online, this may be of some help, or not.

The college has decided to gradually move to MS Teams (tm) over the next semester although people can still use ZOOM (tm) if they wish.

A ) One need merely go to MS Teams download web page and one is offered a .deb and an .rpm package.

B) clicking it starts the normal download as in a PPA and one is presented, on my system the Qapt installer and two choices; a) to install or to b ) download.

C) I always choose the latter and it needed some other packages it required my "corporate e-mail / login" and the college's double authorization worked to start the installation.

D) it insalled but "took a while"...IT MAY... run in a "container" I do not know.

E) It produced a clickable icon in the internet submenu and was named "Micrsosoft Teams" it is a weird little icon with two generic blue "people" and the letter T.

F) when clicked it asks, again, for my corporate e-mail and sets up with no work... It included my "Canvas" image on the top right corner.

G) It, apparently has more capabilites than ZOOM but I did not attempt a test of anything.

H) when "closed" it does the normal MS stuff which is to go down to the bottom right panel and pop a balloon that it is not closed but still running. Right clicking the icon in the panel offers:

My Status, Sign Out, Get logs, Open, Quit.

IT WILL NOT WORK WITH ZOOM, as for example the much fretted over "chat apps" were able to finally interact with each other to a limited extend.

So, whomever you may be wanting to communicate with will need the App on their end, or if your corporate entity already is running it, then you are good go go.

FOR THOSE NOT FAMILIAR with the general workings...

When I set up a zoom for a student, I merely need enter the student's e-mail in the appropriate field of the "set up a meeting". I can also select all of my students IN ONE SECTION...

When I have so done I get a popup that says "share this" and it automagically makes a "form" that I copy into an e-mail or mass e-mail which includes a BACK LINK FOR THE STUDENT.

The student needs to only click that link to go to the meeting.

The BACK LINK also includes any particulars that i may have entered about the meeting but it automagically produces a time / date, and when it is clicked ON MY COMPUTER it automatically puts it into Kontact Calendar.

I do not know about whether it will auitomagically go into Thunderbird or not.

So, if anyone has any questions, I MAY be able to answer them now or may have to wait until I actually set up a Teams(tm) meeting.

Woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Where I (tele)work also uses MS Teams, everyday. I don't use the Linux application, as MS Teams runs natively in a browser quite well.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
    X