X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Dolphin does not see usb Files does

Hi
    I have had something happen in the space of one day which I cannot seem to figure out.
    Kubuntu 19.04

I use one or more of several "usb sticks" and an external usb hard drive for storage.

Up until a few months ago the the usb devices automounted when I plugged them in.

At some time, I do not remember particualrly when they no longer automounted and I had to click the little "devices" icon and had to chose between opening them with "there are two options for this device" and choose either "open with file manager" which I always did or "open with Gwenview".

Whatever the external device it always appeared in the bottom left of Dolphin in the "devices" section. And it always stayed there i could go back and forth no big deal during the day, it stays on all day, it is the "television" computer.

Today, I did the normal "choose file manager" and the device opened in Dolphin and I could access it but when I "closed Dolphin" it disappeared.

I can go back to the "devices" notifier and reselect it and it opens and I can access it but when I close it the device dsiappears.

the device DOES APPEAR in the left panel in Dolphin under " Media / woodsmoke / name of device".

I found that I could right click it and make a HARD link and it does stay there.

I found this thread which speaks to the situation tangentially.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...hlight=Dolphin

WHAT IS MORE CURIOUS...

I am always fiddling with v arious software, even though this is the "television" device and at some time in the past installed "Files" maybe a ...year ago... because I had a recalcitrant usb stick and thought maybe it would see inside the stick, I ended up using Knoppix. But anyway I had installed it months ago so this should not be causing some kind of "conflict" suddenly but I may be wrong.

https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Apps/Files

"Files" sees any and all of the usb devices and keeps them.
    remove
    I thought it might be a "settings" thing so I went to "settings ' hardware / removeable storeage / attached devices and the "device" was there but the "box" s for "automount on login" and "automount on attach" were both NOT TICKED , I ticked them and it did not seem to mae a difference. I can restart and still same thing.

I have tried an update with Discover, and Synaptic, and 'sudo apt update" and there are no updates to be had.

So, if anyone has a suggestion as to how to fix Dolphin or whatever I would mucho grateful.

And thanks ahead of time

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jun 27, 2020, 07:28 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    Kubuntu 19.04...
    I have tried an update with Discover, and Synaptic, and 'sudo apt update" and there are no updates to be had.
    19.04 went end-of-life on the 23rd of January, 2020. 19.10 will be end-of-life soon, some time next month.

See this community wiki page if you want to upgrade in place. I seem to recall a poster here that did this successfully.

Upgrading will take a while, hours, and you'll be doing it twice. A fresh install would be finished inside half an hour, depending on hardware, but then you'd have to reinstall and reconfigure everything, though restoring your home directory might save some time reconfiguring. I did a fresh install of 20.04, and it took solid days to set everything up, and after a month I still had stuff to do. If your 19.04 has been going a while, some software you use might have been dropped; Python 2, deprecated for years, has finally been dropped from Ubuntu, and there's a lot of software that has been dropped with it. You can easily install Python 2, but getting old stuff that uses it going might be tedious.

On my 20.04, in system settings, removable storage, removable devices I use "enable automatic mounting", "only automatically mount media that has been manually mounted before", and "automatically mount when attached", and it seems to work, though I am confused by the options. I have a vague idea that this stuff works better now than it did some time ago.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Hi Jlittle
      thanks for the info on end of life, I knew about that but that it would change such a fundamental thing as automounting, which it does ONCE seems rather extreme no matter what, but, im not d developer so..

as to the "only automount what has been preveiously mounted" I had NOT ticked that option thinking that it was rather counterintuitive so I tried it and no joy.

As to a complete upgrade, I'm sheltering / getting bored, making sure that I don't get / infect everyone since we shut down in April with absolutely NOTHING to do since I was ready years ago because of the massive isce storms that we had and lost weeks of school so... I can do that, ...

I've done upgrades before, but had not heard that they now are two parts...hmmm...

Or, I "could" squirrel another hard drive and install new... have to think a little on it because i really have tweaked the OS and apps to where it works seamlessly with the colleges Learning Management System, ZOOM etc AND has all the Linux games on it. so...dunno... i'll think on it, but since i literally have 24 / 7 with nothing to do I might do the upgrade.

thanks again for the help!
      woody
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
      X