This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireFox 64bit 60.0.1 stinks

I allowed Mozilla to upgrade my firefox (from the repository) to 60.0.1.

It is the MOST UNSTABLE browser I have ever used. It hangs frequently and I have to use the skull & cross bones to kill it, because it won't respond to the mouse. When it hasn't crashed its mouse responses are temperamental. It frequently doesn't allow me to select an entire line in a text box. Starting at one end and dragging the mouse toward the front, the highlighted portion disconnects from the beginning point and pickup halfway down the line, if it stays highlighted at all. Left and right mouse clicks don't always do what you expect of them. Did I mention that it hangs on me?

It just locked up on me. I used S&C to kill it. Trying to run it again I was told that it was still running. The system monitor showed a disconnected firefox thread still in the processes. With it were five "Web" processes. I "End Process" firefox and the web processes unloaded also. While running FireFox on this website only I opened a console and did "netstat -alp | grep firefox > firefox_internet_connections.txt". It showed 7 IP links and 63 STREAM & SEQPACKET sockets to firefox.

Obviously, it will be disappearing from my desktop soon.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I'm glad I switched to Chrome some time ago as I was unhappy with the changes to Firefox (TabMixPlus was a big loss to me).

I also had other problems with it with weird file navigation behaviour (mouse clicking, etc) in K14.04 (works OK in Plasma 5 I guess).
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

GG: I have to use the skull & cross bones to kill it, because it won't respond to the mouse.
      What does S&C refer to? (Up since 2 am here, not sleeping, maybe got a short memory circuit!)

Btw guys, I'm on 14.04 and have FX 60.0.1 and have not noticed anything naughty about its behavior, yet -- hope I am not jinxing myself by posting that positive comment! There are things it does better than Chromium; and there are things that Chromium does better than Firefox. I often keep them both open. Again, all this on K 14.04.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I was using Waterfox but that broke when I updated it. So I'm using FartFox again. Not seeing any problems that you are GreyGeek.

It showed 7 IP links and 63 STREAM & SEQPACKET sockets to firefox.
        Why is this bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          What does S&C refer to? ...
          Maybe "Skull & Crossbones" mentioned earlier in GG's OP. You'll see it if you run xkill in your terminal. The mouse pointer changes to a Skull & Crossbones.

People who have a lot of crashes tend to set up a keyboard shortcut to launch xkill
          Last edited by chimak111; May 21, 2018, 05:49 AM.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I ran (as root)
            Code:
            apt update && apt full-upgrade
            this morning and noticed that firefox was being updated. Later I took a look at this forum and noticed this thread, so I popped open Firefox to see what was going on. I'm habitually a Chrome user but Qqmike is right, it's good to have both browsers available for the occasional glitchy website. So Firefox is indeed now at 60.0.1, running on a Debian LXQt desktop, kernel 4.16.9, on an older Dell Inspiron with an SSD upgrade, Intel graphics, and i915 driver.

After 15 minutes of fiddling with Firefox on a handful of websites, installing ublock origin, copying text, running videos, etc., I don't see anything amiss with it. I'll try it on my KDE desktop system later.

Comment

NO problems here either.
              If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Interesting. I just got a new build of FF 60 today, replacing the one that came out in Sid yesterday. Apparently somebody caught the bug

edit: Preferring chrom(ium), I only use FF when Google's browser doesn't work.
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

On my Kubuntu 18.04 FF was upgraded to 60.0.1 couple of days ago. No problem here so far.

Comment

I've got it down on how to keep FF at version 56 and I'm happy with that.
                    I suppose, in the not too distant future, they will figure out how to make something quit working and force me to update.
                    Greg
                    W9WD

Comment

I run Waterfox. It updated to version 56 recently and runs fine. I haven't tried Firefox 60 yet.

Comment

Tried Midori. It's worse.
                        Thought about going back to FF56 or PaleMoon.
                        Decided to try Chromium. Working nice, so far, but haven't added my favorite extensions yet, especially the "Mailto:" extension.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                          I was using Waterfox but that broke when I updated it. So I'm using FartFox again. Not seeing any problems that you are GreyGeek.

Why is this bad?
                          It may or may not be. I use "whois" to check the IP addresses and see whom they belong too. Most do not belong to the website I am visiting, but are linked to sites that track your web activities.

Comment

And I got another build of FF60 today. That's three in three days.

mailto in chromium? Looks like there are three extensions with that name https://chrome.google.com/webstore/s...ailto?hl=en-US
                            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                            -- anais nin

Comment

I added the simple mailto: because it wasn’t configured to use the common webmail services. It works perfectly with Thunderbird.

Looking for a video download extension. Those at Google’s store block that feature for YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                              X