• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox upgrade why is it no .deb and new linux users

This is "just a question".

REALLY...JUST... a question...

It is "about" Firefox upgrade

I have observed this with OTHER APPs...

NOT BASHIN' FF, IT IS A LOT...LOT OF OTHER LINUX STUFF...

But..."the other apps...IN PARTICULAR..." is not germaine to this post.

Firefox does not provide...

ON THE FRONT PAGE...where one sent from the linky in FF...

with a PAGE that...lists...EVEN THE BASIC...versions...

it is alll...TAR/whatever/crappola...

WITH A WAD...

A HUGE WAD...

A HUGE WAD OF INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT...

do this...do that...do whatever...

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...latest-version

Ok...Firefox, whatever is a WORLDWIDE operation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox

It is part and parcel of the "Mozilla"

In 2016, Mozilla invested $2.5M in fellowships and grants to leaders like these. This number will double to $5M in 2017.
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/founda...alreport/2016/

HOWEVER...

I SAW A WARNING...

A WARNING!!!!!!

"your Firefox is critically out of date. An update is required to stay secure".
    AND A BOX SAYING UPDATE NOW!!

SOO...the old woodsmoker is not too bright...

but an organization that has the capability to DONATE... MULTI-MILLIONS...in scholarships...

why does it not have...

one...lone...packager...

who can make a .deb for Ubuntu distros?

and maybe .rpm and all the rest of the Kaleidoscopic Linux / ubuntu universe?

JUST MY OPINION...BUT JUST HOW MANY

NEW TO LINUX...users...

have the capability to wrangle from that tar how to INSTALL the latest FF?

AGAIN...to the old woodsmoker...

WHAT THE NOOBS SEE...

NO WONDER THE NOOBS GO BACK TO WINDBLOWS...

"well...WE...know what WE are doing...and ALL THOSE people just need to READ THE FU#$%^& MANUAL!!

That way...I...ME...I am SUPERIOR to ...all those noobs..."

AND to you ...POSSIBLE NEW PEOPLE TO LINUX...

SC#$@)F%

that way...I...get to be THE PERSON...THEEEEE GURU...

WE...are the GREAT PACKAGERS...of "the great Linux"...

I...DO NOT HAVE THE TIME...to "package" for ALL THOSE NOOBS...

you stupid noobs...

I mean...MILLIONS TO DONATE TO WHATEVER...

and not ONE packager for all the different distros?

GIVE ME A BREAK!!
    But...I don't think that lazy people would be playing... Xenoblade...

OH...sorry...maybe the packagers really ARE spending their VALUABLE time...playing Xenoblade instead of packaging a .deb and a .rpm for ...the latest FF upgrade...

But...if MC could ...

IN A TEAM...

maybe three or five or ten or...

possibly...

ONE MASTER CHIEF...

could provide .debs and .rpms...

for us... stoopid noobid people...

woodisjustahardwarekindaguysmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; May 14, 2018, 10:02 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Why does it take so many lines and words to ask a question that could have been done in a normal paragraph?

I am an uneducated idiot who puts things on shelves for people to buy, and I can probably answer that one. But I will go to bed instead.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Why does it take so many lines and words to ask a question that could have been done in a normal paragraph?>>>>>>
      woodlikescompleteandconsisesmoke
      Irony anyone?
      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Why does it take so many lines and words to ask a question that could have been done in a normal paragraph?

I am an uneducated idiot who puts things on shelves for people to buy, and I can probably answer that one. But I will go to bed instead.
        This just might be a troll.

Comment

Its in the repos...

https://packages.ubuntu.com/en/xenial/web/firefox

~$ apt-cache policy firefox
          firefox:
          Installed: 60.0+build2-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
          Candidate: 60.0+build2-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
          Version table:
          *** 60.0+build2-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 500
          500 http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
          45.0.2+build1-0ubuntu1 500
          500 http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
          Next time maybe research before getting all fired up and writing a rant nobody cares to read?

Comment

In defense of Woodsmoke;

I think he is referring to the Mozilla(r) side, on Their websites, and not to the repositories.

A new user, wanting to install Firefox(r), might go to Mozilla.org and drill down to find a downloadable file. I've not done that in the proverbial "coons age", but I'm certain that it happens...

So, Mozilla(r)? Where did you bury the .deb downloadable file(s)?

PS, I stopped using Firefox(r) a couple of months back and it is no longer my default browser. I use Palemoon for day-to-day browsing and it is in the repositories.
            Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Mozilla keeps a comprehensive archive of all the versions of Firefox it's ever done, including the latest. All you need to do is download it, extract the folder and it runs from the folder without any installation. I think the advantages of this is that you can run as many versions as you like and I guess if you tried to install an old version DEB file on a system which has the latest one in the repo (which is most of them) it wouldn't be possible?

Edit: Also, I guess the version as it is runs on any linux whilst DEB is limited and then you'd get "You use DEB, why not RPM etc..."
              Last edited by Bings; May 15, 2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I mostly use Waterfox, another fork of Firefox, but I had to google to get instructions on how to install it. Works fine, though--so far.

Comment

He cries about all the money Mozilla have, so they should spend it on having staff create packages. Thing is, Mozilla is both a nonprofit foundation, as well as a non-profit corporation. The foundation funds the corporation. Just because the foundation has a decent chunk of change doesn't mean that they can simply go and spend it all, it is there to make sure that the funding lasts as long as it can.

On top of that, the major distros already regularly pull Firefox beta versions and package it up, so are in a position to have any kinks ironed out as they appear, so that when a new Firefox is released, we get it veryquickly. Version 60 was released on the 9th, Ubuntu had it out for 16.04 on the 10th, and the changelog for Bionic shows it was built on the 8th (time zones maybe?).
                  Version 59 was released on March 13, Ubuntu had it out on.......March 13
                  Version 58 was released on January 23, Ubuntu had it built on................January 22

I will assume the Suse and Fedora et al have similar infrastructures so the utterly vast majority of users already have the latest version nearly immediately.

With all parties actively working together, why should Mozilla put out their own packages?

Comment

Version 58 was released on January 23, Ubuntu had it built on...January 22
                    That was the result of the Linux TARDIS function...
                    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I did, indeed, do the repo thing.

But, the laterst noob does not necessarily know that "the latest' is in the "repos" when the FF is popping a message that the FF is seriously out of date.
                      In other words, the noob has been told over and over and over by us smart folks that "Linux will update itself properly and not break the system".

Soooooo if Linux will update properly then why is FF popping a notification ON FIREFOX that apparently was NOT taken care of by updates...Uh oh, I am a noob, maybe the system will break if i dont follow the link, and what does the noob get?

A tar that does not have a .deb in it.

And since Kubuntu uses .deb...why is there not a .deb there ...

after all the link sent me here and there and i clicked this or that.

After all...a noob is a noob and the situation used to be that the noob was PEREMPTORLY ... told RTFM.

I just did what any noob would do...

and that noob would probably have said...

this is way too complicated for me and all those experienced people LIED to me...so i will just go back to Windblows at least there I can pay someone money and it will be fixed for a while.

woodthanksagainfortheikindsuggestionsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I did download, I did extract, and it did not run,

it sat there like a lump with a , to the noob, SWAMP of files in it.

So I then did what ANY experience person in linux would do, I went to synaptic and did an update.

but the noob will see the notification and will click it and will not get an update the noob will, if the noob knows to extract, get a bunch of files that don't do anything.

And "extract with ARK" won't produce any results for the noob either.

woodjustsayinsmoke
                        Last edited by woodsmoke; May 15, 2018, 12:58 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                          That was the result of the Linux TARDIS function...
                          Heh I wondered how they did that

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                            I did, indeed, do the repo thing.

But, the laterst noob does not necessarily know that "the latest' is in the "repos" when the FF is popping a message that the FF is seriously out of date.
                            In other words, the noob has been told over and over and over by us smart folks that "Linux will update itself properly and not break the system".

Soooooo if Linux will update properly then why is FF popping a notification ON FIREFOX that apparently was NOT taken care of by updates...Uh oh, I am a noob, maybe the system will break if i dont follow the link, and what does the noob get?

A tar that does not have a .deb in it.

And since Kubuntu uses .deb...why is there not a .deb there ...

after all the link sent me here and there and i clicked this or that.

After all...a noob is a noob and the situation used to be that the noob was PEREMPTORLY ... told RTFM.

I just did what any noob would do...

and that noob would probably have said...

this is way too complicated for me and all those experienced people LIED to me...so i will just go back to Windblows at least there I can pay someone money and it will be fixed for a while.

woodthanksagainfortheikindsuggestionsmoke
                            I have yet to see a *buntu packaged FF tell me it is out of date. Maybe it is because it is magically packaged and sent out in the past, via the Tardis packagers
                            Although it could be that somehow the built-in version checker did not get turned off, perhaps? Maybe you have found a new bug.
                            I have right here in front of me Firefox 58, open since yesterday on the older, seldom booted, and not yet updated laptop, still waiting for any update notifications from within the browser.

Comment

Hmmm... I've tried both routes, FF from the repositories and FF downloaded from Mozilla(®) and installed in /home.

The /home version contained a notice under [help] about any pending update and "allowed" me to click to update. Which worked.

The repository sourced version did NOT have an update notice in [help] but, eventually, updated when the repository was updated with the latest version.

Mute point now as I've dropped FF as my default browser. It is still installed and kept updated, but only when I decide to allow it. It remains for testing purposes with any new website code that I'm working on at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X