Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 continuing to present themselves as the Apple of Linux systems.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System76 continuing to present themselves as the Apple of Linux systems.

Re-spin of the iconic Apple 1984 ad.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

And, if my son's experience with his System76 laptop is any indication, they've earned that comparison.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I love mine , and they will still talk to me in a support ticket even though I am WAY out of warranty , when I ever go to by another computer it will be from them.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        And, if my son's experience with his System76 laptop is any indication, they've earned that comparison.
        Funny, I don't see it as a compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          I love mine , and they will still talk to me in a support ticket even though I am WAY out of warranty , when I ever go to by another computer it will be from them.

VINNY
          Honestly, a couple months ago if i had a spare 2K lying around I would have bought one in heartbeat. But the more reviews I read and watch the more I'm put off. I like the idea of supporting a company that aggressively supports Linux but at the prices they charge I could get a DELL, HP, or even a Lenovo with better hardware and specks. According to many, many reviews I've watched and read (once you filter out the fanboi, "unboxings") most people love their machines but they also say, trackpoints, audio, microphones and webcams tend to be subpar. Unfortunately, you can't just go into a store and try one out.

But, I'm all ears if your experiences are different.

Comment

Neon on Btrfs fits my son's four year old 76 like a tailored silk glove. Did I mention it was VERY fast with both the CPU and the GPU? Everything on it works. Of course, my son's and VINNY's experiences are just two anecdotal data points. No doubt there are horror stories about every make and model of computer, including Apple's. My own laptop of choice for the last 14 years has been Acer, which makes their own hardware, and none of them have given me a moment's problem. My current machine was made in 2012 and is the most powerful laptop I've ever owned. Minecraft without mods gives me 500-650 fps.

However, like VINNY, when/if I need a new laptop it will be a System76.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Well they do employ people, as I think they do some assembly in the US, and iirc Kubuntu's own Aaron Honeycutt works there in tech support, if that helps any.....

Sure they are pricey, but no more so than any other boutique computer company.

Comment

I haven't looked at their systems, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to "price one out, piece by piece." Can you identify all the components of a system well enough to price them out if you were building a comparable system yourself? Of course, you'd be paying retail (minus and sales discounts at Amazon or Newegg or TigerDirect). I'm thinking you might save 20-25%? I really don't know.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  I haven't looked at their systems, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to "price one out, piece by piece." Can you identify all the components of a system well enough to price them out if you were building a comparable system yourself? Of course, you'd be paying retail (minus and sales discounts at Amazon or Newegg or TigerDirect). I'm thinking you might save 20-25%? I really don't know.
                  The trick in that is being able to assemble the parts without damaging them. Especially the small plastic male sockets at the ends of small ribbon cables. I used to repair laptops using replacement parts but quit when my shakes become too much. If you ever watched me trying to fasten a HD caddy in the CDROM port with screws almost too small for my eyes to see, and with my hand shaking like it does, you'd have a great laugh. It even makes me laugh.

But, you young guys won't have a problem.

Comment

Wish they made laptops with international keyboards...

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                      You can get a KDE Slimbook. There's a couple "Linux" brands made over your way.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                        You could get an external keyboard, USB into your laptop...
                        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                          You could get an external keyboard, USB into your laptop...
                          True, but then Id have to lug around a keyboard with the laptop.

Comment

I find a full keyboard is easier on my wrists. Yeah, it's one more item to carry with...
                            Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
                            X