This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Thinkpad users here?

How is/was your Thinkpad/Linux experience?
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

At the moment I have two of them.
    1- An older Thinkpad R60, with triple booting option into WinXP, ubuntu 16.04 and kubuntu 16.04. There has never been any slight glitches whatsoever with linux system running on these laptop at all with clean install and setup out of the box.
    2- A newer Lenovo, Thinkpad T540p, triple booting into Win8.1, ubuntu 16,04 and Kubuntu 17.10. All working smoothly and without any issues with clean install and set-up out of the box.
    I am very happy with the performance of both laptops. Of course the newer one is much faster due to latest cpu, intel core 7, and more Ram, 16 gig.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Marco07.

I am contemplating purchasing a used laptop to mess around with, maybe install Arch or LFS, etc., while keeping my regular, daily laptop in it's present state. Thinkpads keep coming up for their robustness and quality and there are several available on ebay that I am considering.

Comment

Glad of being any help!

Comment

Thinkpads are usually considered to be pretty Linux friendly--with the exception of some specific chipsets (i.e. some wireless devices), and I have overall been pleased with their build quality. I'm currently writing this on a Thinkpad Edge E430, and have been very happy with it. My advice would be to find the specifications of any model you're interested in, and do a quick search to see if others have issues with it.
          Last edited by Sothis6881; Apr 10, 2018, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Up Until a few months ago I ran a Lenovo Thinkpad T430 , it worked great with any Linux Distro I tried on it. In fact it still does I gave it to my Granddaughter. I will get another on when this Dell dies.
            You can get very good deals on older refurbished thinkpads from several vendors.
            Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
              X