This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring on 17.04 installs but will not run

installed from repos, installed from website it is shown to be on the machine but is not found by either terminal or simple search Ring does not seem to run on 17.04. That is ok I installed Skype and got things done but would have preferred Ring.

However since my OS is waay behind the times it is to be expected.

just commenting and I'm not going to fiddle with it any more so no need for replys.

woodjustsayinsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    installed from repos, installed from website it is shown to be on the machine but is not found by either terminal or simple search Ring does not seem to run on 17.04. That is ok I installed Skype and got things done but would have preferred Ring.

However since my OS is waay behind the times it is to be expected.

just commenting and I'm not going to fiddle with it any more so no need for replys.

woodjustsayinsmoke
    The version from the website has critical updates. Is the repo version the same?
    Once installed the Muon file listing should show where the files are located. Adding the path of the executable to the env, or linking to it from /use/bin should work.

I never heard of Ring. Thanks for the heads up! I’m going to install it and remove my other “solutions”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      The version from the website has critical updates. Is the repo version the same?
      Once installed the Muon file listing should show where the files are located. Adding the path of the executable to the env, or linking to it from /use/bin should work.

I never heard of Ring. Thanks for the heads up! I’m going to install it and remove my other “solutions”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I downloaded the Ubuntu 16.04 deb files from the Ring site and used dpkg to install all of them.

I fired up the app and clicked the Register button. Every time I entered a character for the pseudonym the app would crash. It had already recognized my name and generated a 40 character ID. I attempted to search for a variety of common names but none appeared. Searching for a random 40 character ID is out of the question.

There is no address or name to call to test the voice or video connection so I can’t really say if the app works or not.
      There are options to chat or send files but without a valid destination those options are untestable.

Tomorrow I’ll post my ID and see if I can communicate with someone. If I can’t I’ll be deleting the app. It appears to be poorly written.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

In case anyone has Ring installed and wants to try it out, here is my ID:
        325083e7c00ff08c4391407ee4c70ff8c132da00

I'll leave it connected all day. If no one calls I'm uninstalling the app.

Comment

No one has called me so I am uninstalling Ring.

Comment

yep...

woodlikestheideasmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
            X